Mammoth RV Park Has Issues

teledork

Pinyon Jay
My camper is a shell model. I have nothing to plug in. I have used the tent sites at Mammoth RV on occasion, been doing so for several years.

This past Monday I was told I could not use the tent sites. Presumably I would have to pay the additional 20+ dollars to use an RV site even though I could not use the electrical hook-ups. When I stated that I had nothing to plug in I was told that they needed to "save" the tent sites for tents and I was prohibited because my camper is a "cab over".

The next morning I drove by on my way to the mountain. One tent site was occupied - BY A VAN WITH A POP UP!

So yes - the only difference is that my camper is a "cab over". And the rest of what I would say about this I will leave to your imagination because I am trying to use less profanity in my on-line communication.

But the skiing was stellar!

Ace! said:
Is your recreational vehicle a tent?
No, but I carry one. :D

Seriously, I have run into this and pitched a tent on the site, and place I have been (so far) accept that. Bizzare.

Sure is odd the way some places work. At MacKerricher State Park they suggested I do to the tent side.

According to my quick look at their web site winter rates, a standard partial hookup site is $51.30 and a tent site is $35.34. Maybe the owners were checking you in - as in fill all the expensive sites first. Do the tent sites get much use in the winter?

They should have asked the guy in the van to move as well.

That being said... I'd be frustrated as a tenter if I was forced to use an RV site and pay $51.30 because all the tent sites were occupied by campers/vans etc., especially if the campground was nearly empty.

Rates seem to have gone up since I stayed there last. Stayed there one night a few years ago, paid for the hook up site thinking i'd finally use my electrical for the first time ever and plug in a portable heater to supplement my Wave 3. After checking in and reading the rules I found out plug in heaters were forbidden. What did I just pay $45 a night for??? Planned to pay the $10 for a tent site the following night then wondered why i would do that with free camping and hot water not far down the road. Haven't gone back since. Rarely do I see tents in there during the winter.

Back
Top Bottom