Mammoth to Lassen

dorocks

trees.jpg
We took a nine day trip with the Four Wheel Camper and my Jeep. We started at Randsburg, a living ghost town (img_9101-9120). We then four wheeled up Sand Canyon Trail (9121-9154), then Laurel Canyon trail (9154-9224) near Mammoth (9229-9249). Then we went up an wonderful trail-Kavanaugh Ridge (9251-9281). We then went to Bodie NP (9283-9398), a ghost town. We followed that by going up Sonora Pass, with some 26 degree grades (9400-9464).Then we drove through Lake Tahoe (9467-9476) and we went to Reno and took a look at some cars at their Hot August Nights event (9478-9511). We concluded at Lassen Volcanic National Park (9514-9833). Were some tough hikes there.

http://keithbarnes.smugmug.com/Travel/Lassen-Northern-CA-Vacation/13259330_SABXx#965848475_fuYPL

The combination Tundra with FWC and a Jeep worked out well. I found out quickly that trees are not a FWC's best friend. FWC is sending me a replacement refer grill. We struggled through a couple trails that were too overgrown. On others we parked the truck at the bottom of the hill and took the Jeep up to the hills. My wife loved the FWC. She said it was perfect for our application and preferences.

We avoided public campgrounds for the most part, and picked our sites to stay by pulling off on obscure Forest Service trails and finding a flat spot. The three of us were cozy but comfortable. We do not sit out much because we hate mosquito bites. We did stay one night in a motel in Reno and one regular campground in Lassen and Bishop.

The hikes in Lassen were grueling. I made it two thirds of the way up Lassen Peak before I called it quits. Ian said I looked altitude sick. My stomach seemed to be saying the same thing. I did make it up Cinder Cone though and it was great.

The cost of the trip was reasonable in spite of taking two vehicles. About $1200 for everything including souvenir t-shirts and showers. The truck got between 12.3 and 15 mpg, even though it is high sitting on my old Tundra. I rarely travel over 65 mph.

The time flew by faster than I wanted.

Keith Jeanne and Ian Barnes

I found out quickly that trees are not a FWC's best friend. FWC is sending me a replacement refer grill. We struggled through a couple trails that were too overgrown.
Keith Jeanne and Ian Barnes

You guys sure got in a great tour! Sorry to hear about the altitude sickness on Lassen. I've had that a few times myownself.

And I understand about the trees. A juniper jumped up and put three holes in the rear of my ATC in UT earlier in the summer. Ask DD and SemiMike. They saw it happen!

Stew

Looks like a fun trip. I see some familiar places there lol. Funny thing, while we were on Usal Beach there was a cpl headed to Lassen NP. Great images

Great trip report and even better pics. My refer grill sustained some damage on my last trip. I was able to bend it back into place. As for Stew asking me to verify how the holes in the rear of his camper happened. Well all I can say is perhaps a speedy getaway and an enraged husband, maybe. I never actually saw any holes happen. But I believe Stew's story about the trees.

mike

Back
Top Bottom