Mammoth!

Not that I am an old foggie.But many years ago we would do a lot of off track in the Ebbetts pass area.Haven't been out for 5 or so years.As one gets older one thinks about the falls you and the Lady took.Can't put ourselves in that place now.Thanks though for sharing your adventures for us who don't endulge now.
Although I do like to hike that Mammoth area.We have over the years camped at the last campground along the river before Devils Post Pile,and hiked up to the Minaret Lake.That area is one of the first I have camped at 36 years ago.I have always enjoyed the San Joaquin river area there.
Thanks again for all the work you put into your reports.
Frank

The Lady continued up. She loves to climb.

I am shocked! I was completely unaware of this. :rolleyes:

A great time, Ski. Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful country. Looks like a challenging and fulfilling trip. I'll bet that hot soak at the end of the day felt great. Thanks for the report.

Thanks for another great adventure! Love how much stuff you two do with your camper. Very inspiring to me and I'm sure many others on this forum.

Looks like a good time with subpar snow pack. Those springs conditions can be sparse and risky.
Guess I don't know exactly where Blue Couloir is, but your photos bring back memories of nearby routes I've done.

Spring corn, hot springs and ahhh. The East Side.
Thanks for sharing!

But many years ago we would do a lot of off track in the Ebbetts pass area.Haven't been out for 5 or so years.

As one gets older one thinks about the falls you and the Lady took.

Frank, a friend of ours owns the cabin just down the east side at the top of Ebbetts. 20 years ago we'd take his two snowcats up in the winter. Skied a lot of country up there. Would like to hear about your trips.

The falls - it was a three advil night and all was better.

I am shocked! I was completely unaware of this. :rolleyes:

:D

Thanks for another great adventure! Love how much stuff you two do with your camper. Very inspiring to me and I'm sure many others on this forum.

Thanks much! :)

Guess I don't know exactly where Blue Couloir is, but your photos bring back memories of nearby routes I've done.

Spring corn, hot springs and ahhh. The East Side.
Thanks for sharing!

Lighthawk, just was our first trip in this wonderful area. One reason we really wanted to make it. So many features have local or commonly used names. Two landmarks local skiers seem to use are the Ship's Prowl (seen in my first skyline shot) and the Blue Crag to the south (visible in my last skyline). We were really chuckling about the route finding (really no harm on such a beautiful day). In one of my first open slope climbing shots, the Lady is up with Mr. Randonee. She is looking at the map that was provided at the start of the trip, listening to where she is told we are, and just quietly shaking her head. We've all been on trips like this. :)

I looked at google earth this morning. This is my figuring.

First Couloir we looked at -
37°34'16.74"N 119°00'08.77"W

Couloir the other ski group climbed -
37°34'11.25"N 118°59'59.20"W

Couloir we climbed (said to be Crag Couloir) -
37°34'06.30"N 118°59'33.88"W

Blue Couloir -
37°33'52.80"N 118°58'52.89"W

"Spring corn, hot springs and ahhh. The East Side."

:D

Frank, a friend of ours owns the cabin just down the east side at the top of Ebbetts. 20 years ago we'd take his two snowcats up in the winter. Skied a lot of country up there. Would like to hear about your trips.

The falls - it was a three advil night and all was better.

Ski I know that cabin well.They have such a great view.In late spring/early summer Silver Creek has some nice falls on the north side on their cabin.
It's been about 15 years at least since I have ventured out on the hills along hwy 4.One of out nice trips was up to Cape Horn,past Lake Alpine.The view from there in winter is fantastic. Our trips out on the snow are no where as skilled as yours,given our ski level.But we do have half steel off track skis.They made a world of difference on the ice crusty snow.Yhey gave my wife and girls more confidence.
Hope to see more reports like the last one.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom