Managing your solar power--"shaded areas"

Batman said:
We have almost the same FWC Fleet set up as the OP and I've been pretty impressed with its performance here in SW Colorado. On most trips we have at least 4-5 hours of direct sun on the 160 watt roof panel which seems enough to keep the Zamp controller voltage readings well above 12.2 even after a night with the heater running off and on. However, after a recent three night trip with clouds and rain on just one day, I can see a couple of cloudy days results in a big drop in that performance. I'm learning a lot from these posts and am considering installing a battery monitor as many have recommended. Not sure about the additional solar panel option since storage space is already maxed out.
Have a Hawk with the 160W roof panel. I'm adding a second 80W panel to my roof next week, which won't increase the weight much. Also bought one of these, based on a friend's recommendation:

https://www.amazon.com/ACOPOWER-Portable-Foldable-Suitcase-Generator/dp/B07FC5MBKS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1534000001&sr=8-4&keywords=acopower+80w+portable+solar+panel

Folds up pretty small, and thin. If you're lacking for storage space it might be the ticket.

4 nights of shaded camping, batteries were at 78% (230AH), after running 130L fridge and one fantastic fan for a good part of that. Quite happy. 2 hours driving home, 30A charge rate from the alternator, 95% charged when I got home. Solar panels can finish the charge now ;-)

Back
Top Bottom