Maob Shafer Trail Road--Difficulty?

ramhawk2017

Hi Folks , Would appreciate any feedback regarding this drive ---other than a healthy respect for heights and a little common sense , is there anything technical about this drive that I am missing from the few youtube videos seen. Trying to convince a reluctant spouse -" awh it ain't that bad". Would be driving a dodge ram 2500 with Hawk camper on board. Thanks Phil

You shouldn't have any problem. There are a few rough spots at the lower end (after you get off the swithchbacks) but nothing a 2500 can't handle. I led a group of 5 2wd VW Vanagons down Long Canyon and up the Shaffer Trail last spring and they all had fun.
Long Canyon can be difficult depending on what kind of winter it's had and the condition of the road, but the same can be said about the Shaffer Trail. You wouldn't want to do them if its wet and muddy. Long canyon is steeper and looser than the Shaffer Trail which is a good road. Enjoy!

From a technical standpoint, It's easy. However, the sheer drops inches away from your outside wheels can be somewhat intimidating if you're not used to the exposure. I first attempted it from the top but turned around before the descent on the switchbacks because it was muddy and I was afraid of sliding off. Went back on a dry day in September and it was fine, really fun actually!

Over the years, we have been up/down Shafer Trail over 20 times in a variety of different vehicles in both summer and winter. Based on watching YouTube videos, I can understand your wife's concern. The scenery is spectacular and there is quite a change in elevation but I would assure her that it is a safe and relatively easy trip. They keep the trail nicely graded and it is fairly wide in most areas. There are a few tight turns that will require a back-and-fill maneuver, but nothing dangerous. A short distance from the bottom of the Shafer Trail you will find Musselman Arch. If you are exploring the Island in the Sky District, a trip down Shafer as far as Musselman and back up makes a great side trip with many photo ops. BTW, you can do some dispersed camping in the BLM Lone Mesa area on your way into the Island in the Sky. PM me if you would like your wife to talk with my wife about the Shafer Trail.

Thanks folks for the input. Will definitely check it out. One forgets how much exaggeration and tall tales accompany these YouTube videos.
Phil

My two Bits, the others are letting you know it's easy for them. How long have you been offroading? and do you have a spotter you can rely on? It's A big deal without those two... Cheers! you have rear lockers? You can do just about anything a 4x4 has. (95%). What an Adventure awaits your BADGE of Honor when you are done.

I found it interesting none of the experienced drivers asked your experience first?

inciter said:
My two Bits, the others are letting you know it's easy for them. How long have you been offroading? and do you have a spotter you can rely on? It's A big deal without those two... Cheers! you have rear lockers? You can do just about anything a 4x4 has. (95%). What an Adventure awaits your BADGE of Honor when you are done.

I found it interesting none of the experienced drivers asked your experience first?
PM sent, please check your inbox.

Back
Top Bottom