Marty goes to New York

marty

A Great Guy
So I am going to travel east on 80 to New York in mid September. Does anyone know of a sight that is a must see. I plan on going to Niagara Falls already. Thanks for any help. Marty

Marty,not being a big fan of traveling on I 80,although I have driven it many times.It is mainly just a "road" to get me to better places.
Have you thought of driving I 90 or I 70.They offer better IMO options to see and stay.Also I feel that the traffic on them seems less at least the truck traffic.
To get to I 90 you could visit Yellowstone and all the other nice places along that route.I 70 through Utah has the canyon lands to see,than western Colorado.
Once back east up state NY and Vermont are very nice.
I am sure there will be loads of info from a lot of members.
Frank

Marty are you delivering a camper? If you need a place to camp at Wells NV Angel Lk/Creek campground is a nice spot.It's well signed for the turn off from 80,than about 6 miles to the creek campground.I think the lake campground might be closed by time you go through..
After that I don't have any suggestions for I 80.
Heading home when you get to the end of I70 and start onto US 50 there are a lot of spots to stop.Great Basin in eastern NV has some nice sites.Several members have spent time there and reported about that.
Mid state NY around Lake Placid is very nice.By the time you are back to NY you might start to see some colors.
Good travels.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Marty are you delivering a camper? If you need a place to camp at Wells NV Angel Lk/Creek campground is a nice spot.It's well signed for the turn off from 80,than about 6 miles to the creek campground.I think the lake campground might be closed by time you go through..
After that I don't have any suggestions for I 80.
Heading home when you get to the end of I70 and start onto US 50 there are a lot of spots to stop.Great Basin in eastern NV has some nice sites.Several members have spent time there and reported about that.
Mid state NY around Lake Placid is very nice.By the time you are back to NY you might start to see some colors.
Good travels.
Frank
After Wells there are various rest areas that provide often noisy parking for the night.

I agree 100% with all of Frank's comments. Marty, I was in New York (my home state) and New England in October of 2011 and visited the Lake Placid area and the surrounding Adirondack State Park. If you like mountain views and small lakes there are plenty of state campgrounds in that part of NY. The Adirondack Mountain Club (ADK) has a campground and lodge near Lake Placid.

Are you planning on ending your tour in New York or will you be heading into New England as well. Is hiking part of the your plans?

So far we plan on starting our tour in New York and work our way through some civil war battlefields with a final stop at the Grand Canyon. We do not have the time to travel through New England this trip. Thanks for the replies.

Marty

Hi Marty - While you are meandering back from the east coast, I would strongly recommend stopping at the Gateway Arch in St. Louis. The interpretive center is excellent (lots of Lewis and Clark stuff) and the view from the top of the arch is phenominal. That time of year will also be perfect for Canyonlands and Arches National Parks before dropping south to the Grand Canyon. Hope you have a great trip - Richard

Here is another vote for the Jefferson Memorial (St. Louis arch). The museum there is very interesting if you are into Lewis and Clark and the western expansion. A little east of St. Louis in Illinois is the Cahokia Mounds Historic Site (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cahokia)- a United Nations World Heritage site. Cahokia was the largest urban settlement of the Mississippian culture dating from 700 A.D. to 1400 A.D. and was larger than any European city of the time. The archaeology of the site is fascinating.

Marty,

If you are heading toward the GC I'd recommend a lot of places in Utah. Escalante, etc. If you could get a permit for the "wave" that's cool but there are a lot of slot canyons, etc. out there that are great too. Spooky, etc. are worth it too. There's a great restaurant called Hells Backbone Grill if you can get there. Highly rated and very good and it's in Boulder, Utah which is near a lot of great hiking, sights, etc.

Does this mean you won't be in Sacramento when we come over?

Kevin

Marty, I recommend Lake Minnewaska in the town of New Paltz. It's exit 18 on the NYS Thruway in the Catskill Mountains. Very scenic and many hiking trails. Also, if you are a hiker, go to the town of Woodstock and hike up to the site of the old Overlook Mtn. hotel. It closed in the early 1940's , but the shell of two buildings still stand. The view from the fire tower is great.
If you'd like some links emailed to you, just let me know.

Have a safe fun trip.

Marty,

We of course are outdoor people but we went to New York City one 4th of July. The fireworks are incredible. We camped at High Point State Park in NJ. We would drive to a subway terminal on the NJ side (Harrison I think), park the car and take the subway over and tour. I was surprised, my wife really enjoyed it. It was definetly a different vacation. We were able to save a lot of money on lodging and get out of the congestion. There really is so much to see in NYC. We went all over on subways and had no problems. My wife actually thought the people were friendly.

People are surprised when we say that we went to NYC and camped. We would get back to camp very late at night sometimes (midnight or later). It is something to see once.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom