Max Wind With Hawk Top Up?

Wallowa

Double Ought
OK another goofy question...

But what gusts and sustained winds can a Hawk sustain without damage? What damage might occur?

Best to park facing into the best guess wind direction [least sidewall area exposed]?

Thanks,

Phil

I've had 45mph winds from all directions on my Eagle without issue. Seems I read somewhere about someone (not me) driving down the road at 60mph with their top up accidentally.

Having been in 65mph winds in a RTT I was somewhat prepared for winds in my FWC, but it was still a little disconcerting.

Well, we were near Craters of the Moon returning from an Oregon coast trip and we passed what looked like a Tacoma with an Eagle(?) with the top still popped up traveling down the highway. I didn't have much time to confirm that it was indeed a FWC fully popped up since we passed on a curve, but I waved wildly and flashed my lights and pointed only to get a casual wave back through tinted windows. Normally I probably would've just kept going feeling like I tried and Darwin was smiling down on that camper, but being a fellow FWC owner I stopped and turned my truck around and tried to give chase. After getting a crew cab f350 turned around and going thru the gears as fast as I could and leaving plenty of black smoke, I gave up after about 10 minutes of 75-80 mph pursuit unable to catch them.

So I guess the take away of the story is, a popped up FWC can sustain 70+ mph highway winds, at least for a certain amount of time. The glimpse I got in passing showed the grey sideliner fabric rippling erratically and the roof bobbing up and down a little bit with what must of been the lift panel flexing. Hopefully all ended well, I never did find a camper roof in the road or saw any carnage pictures on this website. Double check your roofs before travel!!

I had this "friend", yeah, a friend, drive over 100 miles at 60mph in Canada with the top up. My "friend" reported no damage.

You guys are great! I guess the 'proof-of-the-pudding' will be when our Hawk passes its first "wind tunnel test".

No doubt I will not sleep much the first few side slappers that occur....but then again I am use to sleeping in an ultra light backpacking tent praying that I don't get blown off the ridge....

Thanks for the input, it was appreciated.

Phil

Sage..I did the search that you recommended, thanks.

The first time in a high wind is a bit nerve wracking but then you get used to it. As long as I'm not worried about getting hit by lightning or a flash flood I can sleep through it just fine.

I know another guy on the board had it pop open on the freeway doing 75mph and no damage done.

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

My previous Hawk was in a wind and sand storm that had gusts up to 120kph (75 mph) some local buildings sustained damage and our camping gear outside literally blew away, but the camper was undamaged.

97grandby said:
I know another guy on the board had it pop open on the freeway doing 75mph and no damage done.

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby
I thought we agreed not to share that story anymore!

But yes, no damage at 75 mph, except my ego of course.

I would have driven for many more miles if the radio reception change had not occurred and tipped me off that something was wrong.

DrJ said:
I thought we agreed not to share that story anymore!

But yes, no damage at 75 mph, except my ego of course.

I would have driven for many more miles if the radio reception change had not occurred and tipped me off that something was wrong.

Hmmmm...tops popping up?? Why do you folks think this happened? Just not buckled down? Unbuckled and wind pushed the top up?

Phil

Brain fart most likely. I drove mine to the carwash with it popped up. Lucky a low hanging tree branch didn't rip it up. Of course at the carwash I just acted like I'd done it on purpose :)

Wallowa said:
Hmmmm...tops popping up?? Why do you folks think this happened? Just not buckled down? Unbuckled and wind pushed the top up?

Phil

Stopped for a quick lunch and put the top down but forgot to buckle it down.

I have lift assists, so it doesn't take much to pop it up.

OK...with my level of "aged maturity" and my level of CRSS...I can easily see all these scenarios happening to me...will stay vigilant! :D

Phil

DrJ said:
Stopped for a quick lunch and put the top down but forgot to buckle it down.

I have lift assists, so it doesn't take much to pop it up.
Done that too. Was probably doing 50 before I figured it out. No damage

Actually working on a warning light so I don't do it again.

I have camped at the Overland Exposition in Flagstaff where the gusts were reported at 35+ mph. It was noisy, but no problems. I also forgot to secure the latched and had the top pop up at around 65mph and stay up for about 5 miles before I noticed it. Everything was fine.(2015 Hawk)

Back
Top Bottom