Max Wind With Hawk Top Up?

with 3'
cdbrow1 said:
Done that too. Was probably doing 50 before I figured it out. No damage

Actually working on a warning light so I don't do it again.
I use clips with 3' of flagging tape attached to the front latches. Kind of hard to ignore when breaking camp. Don't ask why I started doing this.

rfg said:
with 3'
I use clips with 3' of flagging tape attached to the front latches. Kind of hard to ignore when breaking camp. Don't ask why I started doing this.
Think of the "Remove before flight" flags they use in the Air Force...

My plan is to use a magnetic reed switch. I got it in the mail yesterday. It has a 2 inch "reach" so if the magnet is within 2 inches the switch is closed. I will wire this to an LED on the outside of the camper. Sort of like the indicator lights for a refer unit on a big rig. Drivers can see the light in the mirror - if it goes red they know something is wrong.

rfg - Thank you that is a great tip. I use a stretchy coil key ring thing on the gear shift to remind me the propane is turned on (goes on the propane knob when off), but couldn't think of anything for the latches. I too am guilty of the 65 mph club, not once but twice, the first trip. Now I have better habits established, but I am always afraid I will forget.

Good to at least 50 mph by my experience. While leaving a particularly remote and beautiful site in central Nevada, I had a cup of great coffee, dropped the top and drove off (I was distracted). Shortly after hitting the highway I heard a new noise, oops top up...stopped, latched, no damage, went on my way.

I, too, do better now.

;-)

Bill

In Death Valley we had an incredible sand storm. I had never seen anything like it. I was concerned about the sand getting into the engine, and camper. It was so bad we did NOT put up the top, but rather slept on the floor of the camper, with top down, while the truck swayed back and forth. I didn't wish to risk damage to the camper by leaving it up. I am a little surprised that folks test the limits, but then again, perhaps I be just a wimp. We experienced no damage either. Chris

cdbrow1 said:
Think of the "Remove before flight" flags they use in the Air Force...

My plan is to use a magnetic reed switch. I got it in the mail yesterday. It has a 2 inch "reach" so if the magnet is within 2 inches the switch is closed. I will wire this to an LED on the outside of the camper. Sort of like the indicator lights for a refer unit on a big rig. Drivers can see the light in the mirror - if it goes red they know something is wrong.
Sounds like a great idea. Another item on the to to list. Part number?

Bseek said:
rfg - Thank you that is a great tip. I use a stretchy coil key ring thing on the gear shift to remind me the propane is turned on (goes on the propane knob when off), but couldn't think of anything for the latches. I too am guilty of the 65 mph club, not once but twice, the first trip. Now I have better habits established, but I am always afraid I will forget.
You're welcome. I prefer low tech solutions. Three feet of fluorescent chartreuse flagging is hard to ignore. I also use a couple of rubber bands to keep the latches from rattling. Learned both fixes on the trip home from picking up my camper.

Back
Top Bottom