May 2010 Utah Spectacular

I dunno, you tell me :D
gallery_2_17_358433.jpg

We stayed at the Blue Spruce Campground in the mountains adjacent to Devil's Backbone. I discovered one we had setup that just a mile or so up the road from the campground are some great primitive spots - I'll remember that next time.
gallery_2_17_235571.jpg

The next morning we parted ways with Mike - he was going to go south out of the mountains and Stew and I were going to try a route to the north. We were eventually turned back:
gallery_2_17_296750.jpg

Eventually we found our way out of the mountains and at that point it was time for everyone to head home so we said our goodbyes and hit the road. I wanted to camp at the Ward Charcoal Ovens State Historic Park near Ely Nevada, a spot I had driven by many times but never stopped at:
gallery_2_89_328192.jpg

An interesting bit of history about the ovens:

Each filling of one of these ovens required the total tree crop from 5 to 6 acres of land. During the 1870's the hills and mountains around many mining camps were completely stripped of all timber for a radius of up to 35 miles.

However the most interesting thing about the Ward Charcoal ovens is that this is the only spot in the world that Stew hasn't been to and I GOT THERE FIRST!!! WOOT!

The campground here was all new and was the cleanest I have ever stayed at (it appeared the entire thing had been rebuilt in the last month):
gallery_2_89_309377.jpg

Finally the long haul home. Of course, as soon as I entered Oregon I was in a blizzard and was reminded why I despise this part of the world in the Spring. A friend of mine summed it up well as our "Nuclear Winter". If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home :)

Thanks a lot to Stew and Mike for showing up, it was great to meet you guys.

DD, out.

Looks like a great trip! Thanks for the report. Jarbidge is its own special place, isn't it? The locals are great. Are they still talking about the 2 Berkeley professors that own one of the homes on Main St.? The road you mention to the south - we traveled from Elko to Jarbidge - is a great drive. Expect to be alone.

Enjoyed all the spots and photos, ideas for future exploration!

DD, Great report. Southern Utah is an awesome place. So much to see, so little time to see it... Thanks again for the great pictures.

Good stuff. We're disappointed we couldn't join you guys but will be covering some of the same ground soon. Your TR is already changing our plans a little, especially the lunch stop - gotta see this Burr Trail Grill for myself.

The photo of the three campers at Temple of the Sun and Moon is classic. Shots like that are why we do what we do. Thanks for the report.

Nice report and photos. Aaron, was Diego in 4HI or 4LOW when scouting the Stream crossing for U. :D

Diego wanted to be in 4 lo but like his dad was having trouble engaging it :D

First a quick note, I just registered, so this is my first post, that explains never having seen my "handle" before. In his photos of Death Valley, that is my silver Jeep he took pictures of;

Regarding "Stew". "Good job one-upping Stew. Where hasn't that guy been??" I have known Stew for close to 30 years, scary there.

He has done "homeless" right, nothing to hold him down, A life spent wandering.

Great report on the San Rafael Swell area. Appreciate the info, wife and I are going there 12 June for a week. It will be our first trip to the area and you have given us a few things to look for.
Michael

Very nice. Looked like I was watching a National Geograpic show. Very impressive.
If there is room, that area needs to be added to the bucket list. Again very nice. And thanks.

Picked up your link from ExPo. Great report and great photos. I've lived in Twin Falls since 1994 and have never been to Jarbidge! I've got to spend a little more time in my own backyard.

Heading to Southern Utah soon with my 10 and 12 year old in tow. They've wandered most of the west but there and Arizona. Hopefully it won't be too hot. Not taking our Cruiser but two-wheel drive camping van (Pleasureway Traverse) so we'll be somewhat limited in what we do but the scenery is still spectacular no matter which way you go.

Wow, great trip and pics. We tried to drive into Cathedral from the south last fall but got stopped by a thunderstorm at the bentonite hills, talk about slick! We were lucky to be able to retrace our tracks and get out. Your report inspires me to get back out there and try again. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom