Mechanical jacks as levelers?

The Saints

Hi everyone. I am new here and have been reading as many threads as possible to educate myself on these awesome campers. I still have a question, hopefully it doesn't show too much of my naivety.
I live in a town home and have no place to store a camper, nor are we allowed. We are planning on getting our Bobcat some time in June (we have an "02" Tacoma). We are not going to take the camper off once we have it installed. We will just treat it as a camper shell with extras. Here is the question. I am still planning on getting mechanical jacks for it for emergencies and to help stabilize the truck and camper while camping. But can I use them to help level the camper too?

You can do a little leveling, but not much.

I use the sq plastic leveling blocks from camping land or any other rv store to get close and then finish up with the jacks.

Be careful not to snag the jacks on rocks, trees or any othe gremlins.

I am still planning on getting mechanical jacks for it for emergencies and to help stabilize the truck and camper while camping. But can I use them to help level the camper too?

Using the jacks for anything other than mounting and dismounting from the truck is "not recommended." Neither the jack attachment points nor the camper floor nor the turnbuckles are designed to tolerate the forces they would experience.

I know others can speak more authoritatively on the subject, but I thought timeliness was of the essence in responding...

Also once the camper is mounted if you plan to go to any areas where there are large rocks narrow passages and the like you risk tearing a jack off the camper and damaging the camper. Of course you can avoid remote areas that have those hazzards and totaly defeat the purpose of this type of camper.

ok, i understand i cant use them for anything but maybe a little stabilization while i am parked. i still will opt to buy them, just because if i had to remove my camper from the truck, i would need them. as for driving around, i was planning on only mounting them when i needed them.
Thanks for the replies.

We leave ours on and use them to level the vehicle regularly. We can get several inches of lift out of each leg. For the most part, we are just taking weight off of the suspension, so the vehicle rises with that. A couple of times I have lifted the vehicle to the point you hear some popping sounds. That is probably a good time to stop.

As to tearing the leg off, it would have to be some serious off roading. We have had them on in the narrows of Titus Canyon and on the 4WD road to Laural Lakes with no problem.

I'm not too worried about tearing anything off. We like to camp and currently can only tent camp. the ATC amongst a select few others are the only thing we can put on our little truck and keep there. We used to own a Beagle and that forced us to camp with a trailer, but we had a BIG 4x4 3/4 ton Ford with a 460 in it. That got us used to camping in style. Now the tent just doesnt cut it. I love the idea of camping with a real bed on top of our truck!!!

HOAs and campers.

I think you can use the jacks to do a very small amount of leveling. I don't and won't. The leveling blocks -- AKA legos -- are easy to store and simple to use. Sometimes I find myself level enough without any blocking...

My HOA has a no RV rule. I prefer to keep the jacks off -- I hope this helps cement the NOT an RV identity of my rig. And, as Jay notes, I greatly fear catching a leg on a boulder or even something dumber like a post!

Here is where New Papa Kyle might chime in regarding HOA's and FWC's. He's just gone round and round with both.

Here is where New Papa Kyle might chime in regarding HOA's and FWC's. He's just gone round and round with both.

Ahh... Too bad...

The HOA/RV issue is another reason I avoided external (i.e Happijac) tie down.

Technically and in actuality it doesnt become an RV untill its on the truck but apparently HOA's dont see it that way.

Les,
Maybe I haven't been clear. We are getting a Bobcat because it is the best choice for our vehicle. I am not buying it because I want to go to Baja or on any 4 wheel trips. That is certianly a plus, but the wife and I dont lock it in all that often anymore.
I am fairly certain that I am NOT going to snag a jack, because they will only be used when the vehicle is not moving. Other wise they will be at home or while on the road stored in the camper. As for the stabilization aspect, everyone is different. I want my camper stabile while camping no brain surgery (if I get really lucky perhaps some love making, but lets keep this clean:p). Finally on the leveling issue, that is why I asked. I needed your peoples experience and good advise. If I knew the answer to the question, I would not have asked.
I hope your day goes better. It is Monday and two of my guys called in sick today. TAKE CARE!

Actually the jacks are great if your cutting diamonds or doing a bris in there. Hey Les time to get out of town and chill. How are you mending?

Scott don't let anyone scare you off even though we (read me here) can be a tiny bit sarcastic. Les is one of the great guy on the planet and he has loads of good info too. Do you have any questions about tie downs, air bags or toilets?

All are welcome here just need a thick skin.

Thanks,
Hopefully I didn't come off insulted, just after reading all the replies, I thought I should clearify myself. Even I get confused when I write something. Besides, Les is a geocacher, and we have that in common.
I don't have many questions about tie downs. We are just planning on using the system ATC has for now. Maybe a bit of Lock tite later if we encounter any problems. We do have a hard rubber mat in the bed that I was planning on keeping in. It might act like a lock washer some what (???). We also have a porta potty from our camping days (a big 3 room coleman tent). Now we know to fill the bowl with water before we use it though. That was a lesson.

Must be Monday as i am in a bad mood.
Drive slow and enjoy"its the journey"
Les,Lqhikers

Monday, Thursday, you're a retired guy-- what's the difference?
:rolleyes::thumb:

I like the orange "Lego's"

I have 2 level bubbles, one on the left side of the camper, toward the front and the other on the front of the camper, toward the left side. I've gotten pretty adept at reading the levels to know how many of the orange "Lego" blocks I need to place under the low wheels to bring the truck to within 1/2 degree of level, which is close enough for me. I also carry a piece of 2x8x8 redwood to use as either an extra leveler, or as a stand for the jack if I have to change a tire in really soft terrain.

The only other thing I have to add to the discussion, is that the mechanical jacks take a long time to extend and retract using the hand tool. If you plan to frequently extend and retract the jacks for any reason, I suggest you invest in a battery powered drill and drill adapter tool for the jacks. I understand at least an 18V drill is required to lift the camper off the truck.

From my experience driving around just Santa Cruz is a pain with the Jacks attached and I'm used to driving around 15-20 ton rigs. They really do make parking that much tighter.

Do you need them on for stabilization? Depends on your truck. My Dodge doesn't move at all without the jacks.

Can you use them for leveling? I used to all the time in old full size camper. Even used them to change a tire once. Really depends on your suspension and just how much leveling you intend to get.

As for leaving them on, well. I can testify that, yes, you really can do major damage to a camper when one of the jacks hits the ground. Luckily that was on my old pos camper. Had to use straps and duct tape to get it back together enough to get back to civilization.

If your vehicle really rocks, just bolt them on when needed. Probably wouldn't even need all the bolts if you aren't putting any weight on them.

Back
Top Bottom