Memorial Weekend Mudfest

Dude! :eek:
I think there's a thread from last December that had 10 pages of getting-unstuck tips. :D

Hoo-boy.
blink.gif

Been there, done that, gotta stack of the T-shirts.

Looking forward to the AAR.

Foy

Oops! We have a mud photo from this weekend also but totally different - ours is of the mud left in the driveway after washing it off the truck.

BTW, do the flames on the mirror go out when the truck gets stuck? ;)

2004_Belgium_10_Euro_60_years_peace_Europe_front.JPG

[/img]BTW, do the flames on the mirror go out when the truck gets stuck? ;)

That's a Phoenix, Ted. It's rising from the ashes :p :p

2004_Belgium_10_Euro_60_years_peace_Europe_front.JPG

[/img]

That's a Phoenix, Ted. It's rising from the ashes :p :p

Maybe more than that!-at least some kitty litter!:LOL: I bet!!!! Come on tell us!

Smoke

This is just a teaser. Any bets whether we made it out on our own power?

No easing back out of that one! Yikes.

That's a Phoenix, Ted. It's rising from the ashes

My bad. But looking at your truck, it ain't rising from nothin'. I'm just saying. :cool:

Unless the rear tires are on some very solid ground, this didn't come out on its own. Or unless it was a Jeep :p

Apologies . . .
I set the hook, but didn't reel in. ;)
Been busy getting back to work, download photos, wash/dig out mud/rocks from running gear on truck.

Guess the best way to proceed is to work backwards. Did we get out or not?
Answer seems obvious, given the posts . . .

So, we'll start with the end of the story and for those that are interested, there will be a prologue of the first two days.

---------------

When it's after dark, and yer boondockin', well be careful!
It's too easy to misjudge, underestimate, or otherwise screw up!
Yup, that was me.

After a hard days kayaking, wading and hot springin' we were seeking a campsite. As I drove Hwy 49 over Yuba Pass, we saw several FS campgrounds, but they were not our style. We were seeking something a bit farther out, off the grid as it were. I was following a tip from Corbett, a fellow FWC owner, thinking we might make it up to Mills Peak FS Lookout. This winter has been so mild, I think my guard was down, so I thought we could drive to 7,700'.
Well, this is what we saw at 6,000'+

Obviously NOT! :eek:

Continuing . . .

We had spent a long day exploring many miles of Sierra Valley, kayaking and portaging our way across the Sierra Valley Channels. After hot showers at the springs and a two hour soak we were more than ready to find a parking spot for the night.

We drove up Yuba Pass in the twilight, familiar ground with lot's of memories. It was thirteen miles to Bassets, where we would turn off onto Gold Lakes Rd. Bassets Station is an outpost, serving snowmobilers, fishermen, campers, and locals for many years. Their fishing wall of fame is quite impressive.

Six or seven miles up, we saw the sign for Mill Peak Lookout and took the turn. I followed the graded FS road for a mile or so until the snow drifts and backed up. We looked at turnoff that had tracks and gave it a try. The track was lightly traveled and I went into 4W Hi as we went steeply down, to a draw. The road seemed fine until it met a stream, fresh with snowmelt. A set of double tracks and a couple of moto's had gone through, but it looked dicey and irresponsible to go through. I was on firm ground. I went for a three point turn and felt the front end sink when I went forward. I reversed and made some ground, but it was tight, so I went forward again. You get the picture.

I know not to spin the tires. I know how you can pump mud when you mash it with big tires. I did all of that and stuck it. I opened the door at one point and almost fell into a hole my drivers side wheel had plowed as the soil liquified under my Tundra/Hawk load with twin kayaks aboard. It was my mistake to do this after dark and even after dropping the tire pressure to 24#, we were going nowhere

We spent the night. SR couldn't even get in her side of the truck due to the excessive carnage we had mucked (more on this later). The truck was mostly level and so low to the ground we didn't need our step ladder to get in! We talked about it over dinner. It's an engineering problem I said, "We'll get out of this six inches at a time. We'll collect sixty to eighty rocks and fill these trenches and build a road out of this mud hole!".

to be continued . . .

<snip> The truck was mostly level and so low to the ground we didn't need our step ladder to get in! <snip>

:rolleyes:

Glad you two made it out to tell the tale. We are looking forward to beginning of the trip.

The next morning there was a light frost on the ground. Snow banks were hard as rocks. I walked around the truck drinking my coffee, getting my thoughts together. Susan spotted a young cinnamon-colored bear cub. I wanted to go to work, but we wisely ate some light breakfast and got some water. It was going to be some hard work to get out of this debacle.

Four hours later, we had indeed collected our piles of rocks. Susan was particularly proud of her Oaxaca bag, those ubiquitous plaid mesh bags you see in Mexico. She hauled load after load for me, while I dug a pathway out using my shovel bent ninety degrees. I found out why we weren't able to climb out the night before. The sway bar hangs an inch or two below the rear differential and was embedded in the firm matrix of damp earth and rock. We took turns laying under the truck digging in close quarters.

As MarkBC pointedly pointed out ;), I probably wasn't following the guidelines we all discussed after the last guy got stuck. He's right. I thought we were just doing a weekender and no serious off roading was planned. WRONG.

What I didn't have:
  • Come-along
  • High Lift Jack
  • Winch
  • A buddy to yank me out
What I did have:
  • A good folding shovel, circa WWII
  • Two jacks- factory and bottle jack
  • A pad to lay on while digging
  • A ready supply of useable rocks
  • Tire deflator- We went down to 18#, when we finally made it out
  • A tow strap, rear shackle, tree anchor (all of which did no good w/o a come-along or buddy)

And most importantly, a willing partner to help get me out of this mess.

Once out, I had to get the mud out of the wheels before I could go highway speeds. A convenient deep puddle on the way out was charged back and forth, and I used a branch to knock out the worst of it. Looking up, I remembered why we were here.

We limped it to Bassets Station to air up, buy some gas and reward ourselves with a double size batch of french fries. Nothing like some salty, greasy food to sooth the tired beast. I washed it down with some Hawkeye Ale and the world was right again.

We stopped to check out the North Fork of the Yuba before heading home.

That's the end of this tale. I feel bad about the damage we caused tearing up the soil, and we're planning to return and do some erosion control. I shoveled in the worst of the trenches before we left, but didn't have the energy to finish the job.

There is another story to be told; one of dramatic skies, overland kayaking, amazing birds, skunks, and more. I guess I will have to write that up soon.

Back
Top Bottom