Memorial Weekend Mudfest

Nice story Andy.It's hard to think what you need for a"short" outing.I always carry my come a long with me I keep it inside the bottom of the grill. Out of the way and easy to get to.I don't ever have plans to use it but just in case.One problem I have had it that when we get home from a trip I usually take things out and forget to replace them. I have started to write things down on 3x5 cards and place the cards on the rear lifter panel.I also keep a short inventory of what we have and where.It makes it easier when looking for things in the camper.I try to leave as little as possible to memory (not that that is a problem yet),but it saves time.With all the small and out of the way spaces in our campers it helps to have some record of where things are.Sorry to get off track.Waiting for the other part of the story.
Thanks, Frank

Great getting-unstuck story, Andy, and well-documented!
Best of all, it was free of the shame of "rescue" that my story had...
sad.gif

FWIW: I leave all my getting-unstuck kit (now that I have one!) in my camper (and truck) all the time since none of it has any use away from the camper/truck and the camper is always on the truck. The various items stay stowed under the couch and behind the couch (in that space called "wasted" in another thread
rolleyes.gif
).
YMMV.

Looking forward to the pre-drama part of your trip. :)

<snip>
There is another story to be told; one of dramatic skies, overland kayaking, amazing birds, skunks, and more.
<snip>

Oh boy! :)

OK. Now I'm motivated to get back to deciding how to mount my Hi-Lift to the truck - and then doing it.

The main thing is that you two persevered. (and so did Mark in his tale, even though it involved recue). And I'm prepped now for the trip report, too.

Do you know how lucky you are, dog?

You are absolutely correct! That smile alone is enough to keep me digging us out.
I tell myself that all the time (except the dog part). And I encourage reminders too. ;)

You are absolutely correct! That smile alone is enough to keep me digging us out.
I tell myself that all the time (except the dog part). And I encourage reminders too.
wink.gif

She is a keeper for sure!

One thing an old timer told me before we left Freedonia headed for Tuoweep in February was that if we did get stuck in the mud to not fight it and dig myself in deeper. "Wait until night. It will freeze and you'll drive right out." That advice has stuck with me for several years and now I'm passing it along.

I feel bad about the damage we caused tearing up the soil, and we're planning to return and do some erosion control.

I am impressed. Thank you for caring.

There is another story to be told; one of dramatic skies, overland kayaking, amazing birds, skunks, and more. I guess I will have to write that up soon.

Overland kayaking, now that sounds like it needs a thread of its own.

I stand corrected again - the Phoenix did rise from the mud on its own power. Well done. :)

Ya know, I never really had a nickname for my truck, but since the bird theme keeps recycling (mostly due to my photos), maybe I'll just start calling the Tundra/Hawk combo, my Phoenix. Just so long as AZ politics stay out of it! :p

:LOL:

More great "unstuck" stories-hey, you use what ya got and your brain, that's what counts and if you don't get out, that's a story too! ------and one more experience to add to the list and will you leave home with out the proper "unstuck" tools-probably not, until====until you just make that walk over to the next hill to see what's there and you stay with that snake bite foot or broken leg. I'm the one who needs another truck to carry all my gear-been "unstuck" to many times in my life-keep trying to cut back on my "unstuck" gear-but old habits are hard to break; anyway, you guys have more adventures to tell about around the campfire at night. Maybe we aught to start a new "unstuck" worst thing that happened to me thread sometime-describe all the worst adventures we ever had and how and why we weren't kilt? Glad you guys amde it.

Smoke

I've been thinking about adding a set of max trax MAXTRAX Australia
to my rig. Easier than building a road.

Very cool photo gallery. A set of those would have been the perfect thing to climb out of the mud.

Nice recovery story, nice attitude. Yeah, cold works for mud or snow, the colder the better. I have used the nights freeze to get out early the next morning. I had a pretty good two day recovery affair last month in Death Valley. If you go off the grid, there will be times you get stuck. Smiling about it helps, my partner is like yours. I always carry two shovels, that way you can make sure that those standing around drinking beer can't laugh while you dig. If you have a high-lift jack, make sure you carry a piece of thick plywood to put under it or you will drive the jack into the ground.

Back
Top Bottom