Meteor Showers

And it's around a weekend for us "weekend warriors". Thanks for the heads up.

Time conversion says 11:30 PM Friday May 23rd start. This is Memorial Day weekend.

Now the question who is going to organize the "Camelopardalids rally" to some place dark?

Neat stuff! If anyone is ever near the Smoke Creek Desert/Dry Valley area in late August there are some great light shows out there, with nice warm nights to just kick back and watch!

Smoke

I can think of several places we could likely have to ourselves even on that weekend. The problem for me will be staying awake that late.

Ted said:
I can think of several places we could likely have to ourselves even on that weekend. The problem for me will be staying awake that late.
Two words: POWER NAP

Thanks for the heads up! Where to go, where to go? Good time to learn more on night photography with meteors.....

Lighthawk said:
I checked out the ONDA calendar and they have some nice photography.

Some of our Oregon photographers here on WTW, might want to share some of their work, ah hem Wandering Sagebrush, Riverrunner, Park, 4llamas, MarkBC et al
My fault for starting this little topic hijack :( ...but I have to add just one more off-topic post in order to credit the father of -- and frequent photo-contributor to -- the ONDA Desert Calendar, CraggyMan.

Now, back to those amazing (we hope) Camelopardalids meteors!

MarkBC said:
Oh, no...!
I'm responsible for assembling the astro-seasonal-almanac, etc. data for the ONDA Wild Desert Calendar every year, but I don't think I knew about this "brash newcomer" (The "Camelopardalids"), when I sent the 2014 data to the calendar-formatter guy. :(
I think you are justified in leaving it out of this year's calendar, since no one knows how it will pan out. At least, that can be your excuse. ;)

For the very talented photographers on the site, here's a good source of info on photographing meteors. The author, Jerry Lodriguss, says you increase your odds of catching a meteor if you aim roughly 45 degrees from the radiant. However, if the Camelopardalids materialize into a real storm, you might try a little closer to the radiant to increase the odds of catching more than one meteor in an exposure. That may help you to select your scenic foregrounds ahead of time.

Fixed Tripod Astrophotography - Meteors

As for me, I'm no photographer, so I plan to be be lying on a comfy mat or lounge chair in my sleeping bag at some dark site, and will just watch. Then, I will enjoy the images that you guys post the next day.

Much appreciate the plug for the Wild Desert Calendar MarkBC. I'm a bit swamped this year so getting the word out for possible contributors is might fine assistance.
Hoping I can be out in a special wild desert location for this show. Maybe out in the John Day River country. Plenty dark out there.
Perfect opportunity to set up the shot, program the intervalometer and sit back and enjoy the show.

cheers-

Hmmm....current cloudcover forecast (for 2 a.m. PDT Saturday) for a lot of the Paicfic Northwest looks less than ideal for meteor viewing..and looks like light overcast/haziness across a lot of the West.

Sky201405240900_us.png

But maybe we'll get lucky anyway... :)

Or maybe to be on the safe side I should head out US 20 for southern Idaho now. ;)

going to give it a go out at Pyramid Lake north east of Reno. Don't have control of the clouds, get what you get...... Have a good time.

The weather doesn't look good for my neck of the woods. I should be grateful for getting some precip, though. Still, I'll get up and check the sky later tonight.

Well, it ended up being clear enough here...not perfect, but OK.
However, as of 00:30 PDT there's no meteor shower -- not even a sprinkle...certainly no meteor "storm".
I'll wait another hour before I complain to the management...maybe they're just running late.
;)

Yep, it was a bust. Nevertheless always fun to get out and wander (read - stumble) about in the desert wilderness near home. Badlands Wilderness near Bend offers great opportunities for framing the stars around ancient and gnarly old junipers. The bonus was spotlighting all the cool wildflowers with our headlamps as we avoided sharp lava rock.MeteorBust14-smweb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom