Meteorological Summer 2017

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
We are late in starting this topic. Our resident weatherman, MarkBC, pointed out to us a few years back the benefit of meteorological seasons. As such Meteorological Summer began on June 1st.

Today thunderstorms and rain are rolling through with daytime highs almost 25° cooler than a few days ago.

Summer is the traditional travel season for most. What big trip do you have planned?

:)

Thanks, ski3pin! I've been meaning to start this new seasonal topic for a few days now - glad you got it done.

I'm in the Mojave Desert, 29 Palms, and it's definitely summer here.

Bend Oregon - Currently sitting in my office which is an apartment over a detached garage. I turned the pilot light off in the gas fireplace a few weeks ago, knowing in the back of my mind that was a mistake. Currently 53f in my office and about 57f outside.
Looking forward to summer.... Next weekend Abert Rim and squeezing in lots of short trips till fall.

Forecast is for low 100s by the end of the week. I may have to move up my leave time if that continues.

I was along the Tennessee Valley Divide late last week, just outside of Blowing Rock, NC at 3,980' above sea level, when on the night of June 8 the fully overcast day turned to a chilly, rainy night, with the overnight low in the mid-40s. We built a fire in the fireplace.

Back at 300' above sea level in central NC now, and we're in the 90s in the afternoon and standard summertime thunderstorms are in the forecast for the next 7 days.

Foy

Highs have been in the 90s here lately. Been busy cutting up the (large) branches being blown out of our neighbors maple tree into our yard by the numerous thunderstorms rolling through recently. The last one blew gusts over 80 mph. Another blast of wind, rain, hail and possible tornadoes tonight. Gotta love summer! :eek: :)

ski3pin said:
Ah summer.................steady rain overnight with low in the mid thirties, almost snow. :)
and now heat..............................

This Afternoon
Sunny, with a high near 93. West southwest wind around 7 mph.

Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 72. West wind 6 to 8 mph becoming east after midnight.

Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 93. East wind 5 to 7 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.

Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 71. West wind around 6 mph becoming east northeast in the evening.

Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 94. East wind 5 to 7 mph becoming west southwest in the morning.

Wednesday Night
Clear, with a low around 71.

Thursday
Sunny, with a high near 95.

Thursday Night
Clear, with a low around 68.

Friday
Sunny, with a high near 91.

Friday Night
Clear, with a low around 65.

Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 89.

Saturday Night
Clear, with a low around 64.

Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 87.

It is HOT when it hits 90° here. The highest temperature I've seen here at home is 95°

It's 111° in 29 Palms (CA) right now. And at 5% RH it really is 'a dry heat'.
:cool: :rolleyes:

IMG_20170619_132908.jpg

Wandering Sagebrush said:
To paraphrase uncle Bill Hunter, I'd fight a man all day before I'd stay in those kind of temperatures! Mark, have you taken leave of your senses?
:D We've been hiking, bicycling and rock climbing in Joshua Tree NP and on the Marine base -- by getting out there by 5:30 a.m and getting back in the a/c by 8:30 or 9. (staying in my friend's RV with a/c - NOT camping)

It could be worse: I could be a grunt humping an 80lb pack through the midday heat for training!

Or...................

you could head east to Death Valley and have the experience of a lifetime! :)

This Afternoon
Sunny and hot, with a high near 125. South southwest wind around 5 mph.

Tonight
Clear, with a low around 93. South wind 5 to 8 mph becoming calm in the evening.

Tuesday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 127. Calm wind becoming south around 6 mph in the afternoon.

Tuesday Night
Clear, with a low around 93. South wind 5 to 9 mph becoming calm after midnight.

Wednesday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 124. North wind around 6 mph becoming light and variable in the morning.

Wednesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 93.

Thursday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 125.

Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 96.

Friday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 123.

Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 95.

Saturday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 120.

Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 92.

Sunday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 120.

Hey guys, you are making me feel happy that I'm sitting here in the high desert with temps in mid 90's; to think , last week it was in the low 50's, raining, snowing and hailing-did I mention non-stop T-storms. Boy, as I look outside, the clouds (the big white and grey puffy ones) are coming in and it looks like we may get some afternoon T-storms-sort of like it was when I was a kid except the temps were in the 70's then. Supposed to go to Reno mid week with temps in the 100's expected there. ya, I'll stay here. Weird, weird weather we got these days!

Smoke

107 here is hot enough. The official part of my trip doesn't start until Wednesday but the Jeep is hooked up, campers loaded and I'm hitting the highway early in the morning. I figure Antelope Lake will be hot but not this hot.

Craig---the yellow jeckets are real bad up here this year. I'm not talking about those pesky meat bees, but thoise big yellow and black and nasty jackets that like to swarm and chase you. Other than those spray cans , most people are getting those hanging traps that are specific to yellow jackets-got to protect those regular bees and other flying critters other than mosquitos.

Smoke

Looks like a big ole high pressure zone today covering all of western North America, Canada to Mexico:

VCG15-17002017186.jpg

Looking at the coast of the west coast reminds me of the maxim I learned growing up in NorCal: When it's foggy at the coast it's hot inland (true in the summer, anyway).
We'd be camped at Patrick's Point S.P. in the fog...and knowing it'd be hot when we got home to Redding. When we got home we'd wish we were cold and damp again.. :rolleyes: .

(Hot rising air inland pulls cool damp marine air into the coast)

I was going to mention the Mark Twain quote:
"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.”...but Snopes reports he never said that. :unsure:
It's still a clever line, whoever said it. :)

Interestingly the insects weren't bad at Antelope Lake. I never even used either mosquito spray though a few guys did.

More heat, well its not exactly unexpected in July. I'll be drinking a lot of water at work.

Typical situation in the PNW -- low marine-flow clouds pushed up against the Cascades on the West Side, clear and sunny on the East Side, e.g., Bend:

GOES17152017188UXV1uq_20170707-1b.jpg

But that's why it's lush and verdant on the West Side -- sparse and gray-green on the East Side.
It's different in California, because the Coast Range is much higher there. In Oregon the coast range is mostly low, so marine air flows right over it inland and only stops at the Cascades.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom