Meteorological Summer 2017

For a change the wind is blowing the smoke from the Long Valley fire pretty much to the east, so we just get a twing of it here :p ! Hot, windy and red flag warnings here-nothing unusual there!

Smoke

It is officially hot here, possibly the hottest July on record. Tomorrow's forecasted temperature for here is 97°. The highest I've ever seen here is 95°. We consider 90° hot.

Odd thing is Oregon and Washington are going to bake worse than us here in Sac. I'm still not sure why anyone would live in Redding!

Possible record heat wave approaching Bend
Agencies calling for Central Oregonians to limit sun exposure
AUBREY WIEBER, THE BULLETIN, July 31, 2017

"...Central Oregon temperatures should range from 96 to 101 on Wednesday, 99 to 104 on Thursday and 101 to 106 on Friday"

The highest temps will probably be in Redmond and Prineville, north and northeast of Bend... but still, anything above 90 is above average for Bend, and some summers we never hit 100 -- so it's gonna be hot, by our standards.

Rather than limiting "sun exposure" I think it's heat exposure we need to limit. The sun doesn't shine any more fiercely -- doesn't burn skin worse -- when air temperatures are hot than when it's cold.

ski3pin said:
It is officially hot here, possibly the hottest July on record. Tomorrow's forecasted temperature for here is 97°. The highest I've ever seen here is 95°. We consider 90° hot.
It only got up to 95° today! :)

Not to rub it in guys but, aaahhhhhhhh, you gotta love the central coast of California. :)

Forecast Salinas, CA.

Tonight​
Partly cloudy, with a low around 55. Northwest wind 6 to 11 mph.

Wednesday​
Mostly sunny, with a high near 70. West northwest wind 6 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph.

Wednesday Night​
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 55. West northwest wind 5 to 13 mph.

Thursday​
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 74. West northwest wind 7 to 13 mph.

Thursday Night​
Partly cloudy, with a low around 55. North wind 7 to 10 mph.

Friday​
Mostly sunny, with a high near 71.

Friday Night​
Partly cloudy, with a low around 54.

Saturday​
Sunny, with a high near 67.

Saturday Night​
Mostly clear, with a low around 54.

Sunday​

Sunday Night​

Monday​
Sunny, with a high near 66.

Monday Night​

Tuesday​

We just had the western edge of the system.No rain but nice cloud cover most of the day.
Thankfully we didn't have any dry lightning over the coast mountains.
We sure don't need any fires again this year.
Stay cool.
Frank

I think Reno is up to 50 consecutive days in a row of temps 90 degrees or more. Old record was 35 days.

Summer is finishing off with heat. Yesterday's temperature was 95° here, a match for the hottest we have seen. Fall begins on Friday. We can hardly wait! :)

ski3pin said:
Summer is finishing off with heat. Yesterday's temperature was 95° here, a match for the hottest we have seen. Fall begins on Friday. We can hardly wait! :)
Ski do you have the right month up to look at?
Mine says fall is Sept 22.
Did I miss something.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Ski do you have the right month up to look at?
Mine says fall is Sept 22.
Did I miss something.
Frank
Frank, "we" have switched to the "meteorological seasons", beginning last year....well, some of us have. :p
It makes more sense (to weather nerds like me, anyway), and it's how those season professionals -- meteorologists -- define the seasons.

Mr. Casa, remember MarkBC's (aka weatherman) report about the "meteorological" seasons compared with the better known "astronomical" seasons based on the solstice and equinox?

Fall starts September 1. Winter starts December 1. Springs starts March 1. Summer rolls around again on June 1. :)

The whole "season begins" thing can be confusing, especially when local TV news people say things like "...summer doesn't officially begin until June 20, but it's been feeling like summer all month..." "officially" :unsure: Who are the 'officials' that declare when the seasons begin? There are no "official" seasons. What those local TV news-readers could be saying is "...summer traditionally begins..."
Surprisingly, I heard about the meteorological seasons from the [former] local TV news meteorologist when he mentioned it on the air once.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom