Mew Member

timtana

Hi All,
My wife and I have ordered a FWC Hawk model for our GMC Sierra 4x4, it will be delivered in Feb. I was so happy to find this site, and searching thru it has answered many of the questions I already had rolling around in my head. We do a lot of whitewater kayaking and lake kayaking in N. Cal and love to adventure out in Nev. We spend a lot of time on dirt roads and after years of tent camping we are just so tired of setting up and tearing down camp (sometimes twice a weekend) often 20-25 weekends a year, we think we have found our solution. One question I have though is how much bedding ie: pillows/sleeping bags if any, can be stored up on the cabover bed with the pop-up down? Also does anyone filter thier water as they are filling up the water tanks? if so how? I'm sure I will have more questions and any help would be great!
Thanks and happy camping,
Tim

Congrats on your new purchase! I purchased a 2000 used Hawk model last fall and have been most pleased!!! Winter camping is not a problem.

I usually sleep in a sleeping bag while camping and usually pull it off the bed while in transport. I don't think there is more than a few inches between the bed and ceiling when it is in the down position.

I have yet to filter any water while camping. I take along a 5 gallon container and that seems to be sufficient for my needs. Others will be able to comment further on that subject.

Best wishes to you as you enjoy your new camper! There's a lot of good info on this website so keep it in your favorites.

Welcome

Welcome! There is a ton of good ideas and valuable information on this site. I happen to leave my vintage goose down sleeping bag in place with the top lowered. Some people use a "Everpure" filtration system with the faucet attached in their camper. I just carry lots of extra water in several plastic Jerry cans mounted to a rear rack along with a cooler. Seems to work OK with me.

over the bed area

Keep in mind when leaving bedding in the overhead area that you still need room for the liner to fold into the camper and that the fold down panel needs a little room in that area when the top is down.

With the newer FWC's there is extra room up top and you will probably be able to leave a blanket or two up there with a couple of pillows.

As NCF pointed out though, be careful of the lights if you have one close to the bed area. They can get a bit warm if you leave them on by accident when the top is put down.

Sincerely,

Ben
www.allterraincampers.com

Thanks

Thanks for the info, I just love this site I have read every thread and it has helped answer all of my questions I have had so far, I cant wait to get my camper so I can share my ideas and experiences!
Tim

Unfortunately, very little. A sleeping bag is too much. It really sits right on top of the bed.

bed room

The newer FWC has more room over the bed than the older ones. They raised the walls of the camper 3" and in turn made the bed area deeper. You can now fit that sleeping bag up top with the top down.

Sincerely,

Ben

new camper

Three years isn't that old. Just that changes are made almost on a yearly basis.

Sincerely,

Ben

I almost missed part of the conversation. You mention kayaking. I just got started doing some the past year. Lake only so far. You have some favorite spots?

Kayaking

We just moved back from a year+ lining in Hawaii, but before that we lived in Lake Tahoe for 12 years and loved all boating there, we also did a 1 week trip up to northern cal. and paddled Lewiston lake (they have a 5 mph limit its great for paddlers) and Trinity lake then we swung down to Eagle lake, we have also paddled Mono lake that is a very different experience and Monterey Bay is one of my favorites,we do all of our lake and ocean paddling in our 14' ocean kayaks. Most of our paddling is on rivers with whitewater, we paddle 1 and 2 man inflatables that are made by a company that makes river rafts (Hyside) and we have run just about everthing in Ca.& Nv. from the Kings to the Klamath!
Happy boating!
Tim

Back
Top Bottom