Modoc Back Country Discovery Route

gaylon

Hi there - I am thinking of running the Modoc Back Country Discovery Route from July 2 - 7. Has anyone driven the course recently? Any concerns after this past very wet winter? Also, anyone want to join up and run it with us? Lastly, any recommendations on where to camp at the start - the night before? It'll be a long drive up from Santa Cruz...

Hey, gaylon,

I spend alot of time up there-live in Susanville, so this is in my back yard! The route looks okay right now, just depends on where you plan to go and see below. From what my friends who live in Alturas say, the route from Davis creek west or from 139 east was okay-gravel roads-but don't go off road and play up there, NE Ca mud is no fun and tearing up that country is frowned upon. There are a few CG's up in that country-no water and dispersed camping any where up here could be a problem because of mud/snow.

The Modoc NF restricted most uses up there earlier this year to protect the roads from damage, but main roads are okay. I would be careful anywhere on the Warner Mtns part of that trip right now, should check with the ranger district, especially past Blue Lake and routes east to Eagleville; same with route up to Cave lake and points east. Medicine Lake area, same thing- paved roads in from Lava Beds NM should be Okay, dirt/gravel road in from Tonnista on 139 could be problematic. Last month most of the CG's were closed, but the major ones should be open now, again, need to check on access to places like Bullseye Lake and the less developed ones because of road conditions (I had planned to head up there a month or so ago and the CG's were closed and snowed in).

I was heading up to Devils Garden this week mentioned that here on another post), but weather stopped me-went from clear and in the 70's/80's to snow, hail and heavy T-storms, and almost freezing night temps and day temps in the low 50's-have not checked conditions up there right now-but will. Weather now 10-20 above normal here today (89 and cloudy) Okay, this answer is getting to long, I have to head to Reno next week ( supposed to be in high 90's there, -maybe first 100 degree temp of the year) then plan to head over to Res F or C on the Devils Garden (Modoc NF) and find a place to hide for the 4th. Contact me here if you want more area info or maybe a meet-every thing around here really depends on weather now. Hope this helps!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom