Mojave National Preserve - December 2019

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
We left home during a short break between winter storms and headed to the southern deserts. We returned 25 days later. Our first stop and adventures were in the Mojave National Preserve, a very special place. This part of our story is now posted to our blog and can be found here -

Mojave National Preserve - December 2019

We hope you enjoy tagging along with us. Future installments will be posted as they are completed.

Here we go! :)

I knew as soon as I saw the list of numbers that you were headed to Benton. What a great place to watch for Santa! Great views in the Mojave as well, did you see any more moose sign? Thanks for the report, looking forward to finding out where else you ended up on your 25 days of travels.

Wonderful TR, Mr. 3Pin. After reading about the Mojave Moose, I’m thinking it may be closely related to the Oregon Slow Elk. As in the Mojave, they’re more commonly seen in their camouflage configuration.

Thanks for letting us tag along!

Never been to allot of that area before especially in the winter, so I enjoyed that TR allot Ski-winter in the southern desert. Ya know a friend of mine once ran into a real moose out in central Nevada (really :ninja: )-wonder if it is related to the one you tracked? Hey Steve we got allot of them there high desert "Slow Elk" around here too; they like to mark their territory (especially campgrounds) with some type of pies ! I understand they sometimes can be found in near association with that smaller variant, the "Mountain Maggot."

Smoke

We met at the Hickison campground east of Austin, NV, two Sept. ago. I was at Palen - McCoy Wilderness camping this past Christmas, so was only a 3-4 hours south of you. Its a big world out there. Great photos.

Moss Grimmick said:
We met at the Hickison campground east of Austin, NV, two Sept. ago. I was at Palen - McCoy Wilderness camping this past Christmas, so was only a 3-4 hours south of you. Its a big world out there. Great photos.
But a smaller world than we think. I believe I met you at DVNP(?) or Shoshone a year or two back.

Occidental said:
I knew as soon as I saw the list of numbers that you were headed to Benton. What a great place to watch for Santa! Great views in the Mojave as well, did you see any more moose sign? Thanks for the report, looking forward to finding out where else you ended up on your 25 days of travels.
Occidental, thanks for for kind comments! Yes, we found a bit more Mojave Moose sign but no sightings. We did come upon two cows. We were told that when in bovine camouflage, Mojave Moose always wear a turtleneck sweater as the waddle is difficult to hide. The cows we saw were wearing sport jackets.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Wonderful TR, Mr. 3Pin. After reading about the Mojave Moose, I’m thinking it may be closely related to the Oregon Slow Elk. As in the Mojave, they’re more commonly seen in their camouflage configuration.

Thanks for letting us tag along!
Thanks Mr. Sage, you are very kind. I must put some study time in on the Slow Elk. Interesting. :)

Smokecreek1 said:
Never been to allot of that area before especially in the winter, so I enjoyed that TR allot Ski-winter in the southern desert. Ya know a friend of mine once ran into a real moose out in central Nevada (really :ninja: )-wonder if it is related to the one you tracked? Hey Steve we got allot of them there high desert "Slow Elk" around here too; they like to mark their territory (especially campgrounds) with some type of pies ! I understand they sometimes can be found in near association with that smaller variant, the "Mountain Maggot."

Smoke
Smoke, thanks for the nice comments, we appreciate it! Timber told us she'd love to see the Mojave. Point the truck south, Smoke! Does Timber help with the driving yet? Your pie comment sure had me thinking about U. Utah Phillip's classic story about Moose Turd Pie. I heard it's mighty good.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks Ski.
Great first part of the trip.
Though it looked mighty cold,
it made for great pictures.
Frank
Frank, it was mighty cold but it sure was beautiful. Thanks for the nice comments!

Moss Grimmick said:
Moss, we remember the meeting fondly and it's nice to hear from you again. Yes, lots of exploring down that way. Thanks for the nice comments!

I've never been to the Mohave Preserve but it's now on my list for a winter adventure. Your pics really capture the essence of the desert in wintertime. So lucky to have snow!! Thanks for the TR!!

Ski, outstanding RR. Just completed all seven parts. Beautiful areas for sure. A lot to see out west. Hopefully some day. Thanks for sharing. jd

Back
Top Bottom