Mokelumne River acces

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
Ellis Road fromm HWY 88 down to Salt Springs Road is closed possibly all summer. The Eldorado NF just discovered a washed out section and have yet to make repair plans. This is the typical way of accessing the campgrounds along the Mokelumne River below Salt Springs, the location of last year's Pork Rally. You can still get to the area by taking Salt Springs Road all the way in from Barton. This is a lot more dirt road and takes a little longer. Maybe it will help to cut back on the number of people accessing this area this summer. We plan to visit it this weekend and see how it is.

Ellis Road fromm HWY 88 down to Salt Springs Road is closed possibly all summer. The Eldorado NF just discovered a washed out section and have yet to make repair plans. This is the typical way of accessing the campgrounds along the Mokelumne River below Salt Springs, the location of last year's Pork Rally. You can still get to the area by taking Salt Springs Road all the way in from Barton. This is a lot more dirt road and takes a little longer. Maybe it will help to cut back on the number of people accessing this area this summer. We plan to visit it this weekend and see how it is.

Hi Ted,

I wasn't able to make the pork rally last year but I have been thinking about checking that spot out as it is really out my back door. Is it a pretty spot? Are sites right on the Moke? How is the alternate road in?

Thanks for the info

Rich, I didn't make the rally either so it has been probably five years since I have been there. As I recall, it was a typical graded forest road. Possibly could do it with a passenger car. The three campgrounds and the boondock sites are right on the river. With the spring run-off going full bore, the river will probably sound like thunder right now. The only negative I remember from a previous spring trip was swarms of mosquitos. I'll let you know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom