Monitor Calibration

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
What programs or devises does our talented bunch of photographers use to calibrate their monitors to get correct colors and brightness?

Mornin' Mr 3pin,

I use a Huey Pro, but it's been ages since I re calibrated. There are a bunch of them ought there... Color Monki, Spyder, Xrite. To be truthful, I went for affordable.

As I recall, my iMac and MacBook were pretty close to spot on.

I'm using Datacolor Spyder4Pro. I've had it for several years...had a different brand before then.
The current version of this brand is Spyder5Pro...but the older version has worked fine for me.

MarkBC said:
I'm using Datacolor Spyder4Pro. I've had it for several years...had a different brand before then.
The current version of this brand is Spyder5Pro...but the older version has worked fine for me.
dark ages, spyder2 must have been bought and sold a few times.

ski3pin said:
What programs or devises does our talented bunch of photographers use to calibrate their monitors to get correct colors and brightness?
According to Martin Bailey in a recent TWIP podcast, the only device worth buying in the "relatively low price range" is the X-Rite ColorMunki Photo at $450. His priority is getting accurate prints. He notes that brightness is a vicious circle where camera raw files are often dim, monitors tend to be too bright, and paper and inks can be all over the place.

I have not tried ColorMunki and, in fact, have not calibrated my monitors in at least 10 years because they seem fine to my eyes. When printing I try to pay attention to the color histogram and use a reliable print shop (rather than fuss with DIY prints). Of course, color is very subjective and when I cannot get a pleasing look I will often try black and white.

I've got a Eye One by gretagmacbeth, which I use infrequently. I've found my iMac and MBP displays to be pretty close. When I outsource prints, the profiles seem pretty true to me.

Back
Top Bottom