Monitor Pass

craig333

Riley's Human
After the green creek get together I stopped by the summit off monitor pass. The terrain looked interesting but after a half mile in I decided this was too rugged for my truck. I vowed to come back and explore with the Jeep someday. I made good on that this weekend. I towed the Jeep up to Centerville Flat. Its an old mining site, though not a single remnant remains (probably due to being on highway 4) a large camping area, nice new toilets but no other amenities suitable for a large get together (did i mention free camping?).

My map shows the road going about a mile and half. It wasn't even close. Roads go way back that aren't on the map. Awesome views of the valley, its strangely closer than you'd think from driving the pass. Really glad I didnt push it and try to get the truck in there. It was definitely Jeep country.

I didnt realize it, but turns out it was bow season for bears. The bear hunters were way cool. All on quads but very friendly. Said the area I was in supports 40 to 50 bears. I never saw a one though I think I did a track once. Very dry country. Mostly easy terrain but I did find a couple spots that required 4wd. Beat up the dog pretty good on some of that. He was good sport though, he loves wheeling, just the body isn't up to it anymore.

Unfortunately a storm slid up the sierras. Too far east to get rain but wind was howling. Lost my hat a couple times. Good thing I had a heavy jacket.

No pics, still cameraless. This was just a quick weekender up and back.

Craig,

This is something like your fourth or fifth trip report with no pictures. You know how we like photos on this site. This has got to stop. We may need to ban you. :eek:
Therefore I propose Save Craig from Being Banned program. No minimum, can be the loose change in your pocket or some empty beer cans to be recycled. Whatever it takes, this can't go on. Not sure how we will get it all together yet. Maybe the next rally. And Craig, don't expect much - maybe a disposable from 7-11, but we'll get you something dagnabbit.

Ted

I have an older digital camera that you can have. I would hate to see someone get banned for not having a camera!

All you have to do is show up and the Pig Feast Rally and it is yours

Cheers,

Cort

Back
Top Bottom