More Storage and wind fairing

davinski

Well, it was a nice day here so I thought I would put these new toys on the truck. I don't have the extended camper bed, so I have some room on top of the extended cab truck. I don't like putting much on the Hawk roof as it just makes it hard to pop up without unloading. My goal was to add some storage for stuff like water, chairs, tents, and other stuff that can get wet and I don't want inside. I also wanted to put in a wind fairing. Not very substantial, but does reduce wind noise. Eventually, if I can figure out how to run the wires, i will add the Hella 500 lights sitting in my garage to the basket as well. Now, I can carry more stuff....

Dave in Seattle

Attachments

• IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 830
  • IMG_0527.jpg
    IMG_0527.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 841
  • IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 810
  • IMG_0531.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 776
Nice touch.

I like the possibility of carrying a few jerry cans up there. Whatever gets stored up there is going to get hammered by bug guts but maybe the fairing will help with that too.

nice pics, thanks! looks cool and seems functional at the same time! let us know how it works out.

It's better to turn the Jerry can around with bottom facing forward. It's going to be covered with bug juice.;)

Very interesting idea. Never thought of using that space on my truck, but why not. I'm thinking just cover whatever you put up with a tarp and let it take the bugs.

Another one of those "why didn't I think of it" ideas.

That's a great idea! I have almost the same truck/camper combination. What brand of rack is that and where did you get it and the fairing? I may just have to copy your idea.

Nice spot for extra storage. We all can use more.

The way the basket is foward of the windshield and faring, you are going to get some uplift of air flow. Make sure you tie stuff down. A tarp is going to drive you crazy being so close to your ears flapping.

If you want to see where the air is flowing. Tie some peices of yarn to the basket at various spots and drive down the road. You can have some body viedo taping it and watch it later.

antenna?

Davinski,

Is that an 11 meter antenna off the hood? Nice mount...

Art
'86 Blazer

The ant. looks like a 2 foot firestick cb.

Is that a yakima rack and fairing?

A little more about the setup....
The rack system is Yakima. Used some old parts from previous cars...Q towers and bars....used the Yakima basket from previous as well. Fairing is new and from Yakima as well. I like the older, bigger fairings better, but this one just happens to fit nice.

I measured and thought the Q towers would fit on the roof and I would use Yakima's extension kit to get it to run under the camper overhang......missed it by about 1/2 inch. If this worked, would have put the basket between the bars to lower the center of gravity....oh well. Instead, it sits on the bars and therefore sticks out forward more than I would have liked. Can't see it from the driver seat, but I know it is there. Ideally, it would be behind the fairing. Ironically, the basket fits under the camper, but the Q towers just are too tall.

I will see how the wind and bugs are when I get out next. This time of year it is usually rain or snow....keeps those bugs down and gear clean. We will see next summer. I also got a Bigfoot bag...probably will store stuff in there and then put it up top... Maybe I will make a small plexiglass fairing for the front of the basket. I also still want to mount a pair of Hellas up there for some off road lighting.

Anyone run wires up to the roof of the cab? I was thinking of running them up the camper and then put a quick disconnect behind the basket.....

OK. Thanks for all your input. I am rambling and probably should go to sleep.

Dave

As for the antennas: the one in the photos is a 11m. I have a 2m and 440 firestick as well. All 1/2 wave. Better 2m/440 gain antenna sits up top when on the road. HF off the back....

Looks good. I saw a similar setup on a guys truck in Carrizo Plain a few weeks back. I need to check ebay for a faring and bar.

Back
Top Bottom