More wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks, I know there are differing opinions about this topic, and we have seen heated discussion in the past.

Please remember to keep it friendly. It's OK to disagree with others, but it's not OK to be disagreeable.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks. Hope they make a come back.Always enjoy seeing wolves in Yellowstone.
Now to have them in Northern California,cool.
Frank
I agree Frank. Be nice not to have to drive two days to see them anymore.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Folks, I know there are differing opinions about this topic, and we have seen heated discussion in the past.

Please remember to keep it friendly. It's OK to disagree with others, but it's not OK to be disagreeable.
Exactly where was anyone being disagreeable?

cwd

Idahoron, I agree with you as well. We certainly do not need them in California....unless we can train them to eat mountain lions! :)

cwd

cwdtmmrs said:
Exactly where was anyone being disagreeable?

cwd
cwd, the moderators had an offline discussion about the topic because of the rancor that developed on a similar (now closed) thread last year. The post was just a proactive reminder to folks that we believe that everyone has a voice within the boundaries of the site rules, but we do need to keep it friendly.

Wolves have caused the down fall of several herds of elk here in Idaho. Moose hunting has been closed for a few years now in several units. I can understand the interest in wolves, They are a very interesting animal. But here in Idaho the only money that our game department has is Hunting and fishing licences and tag sales. When the wolves reduced populations, and in some cases beyond the breaking point. Idaho Fish and Game saw a reduction in revenue by many thousands of dollars. Now they are broke!

Hunting got worse and worse. The non residents left and many of the residents also decided that they would just sit out. So here is where I reach out to the people that can help. Please if you feel that strongly about them please write a check. Send in a contribution to the F&G to help protect our wildlife. I give them over 400 dollars a year in licences tags, and I also donate time. Our game departments need money to operate. If they can't get it from hunters someone needs to fill in. We all love animals, show it with your dollars.

For centuries wolves and elk co-existed in large numbers. Both species suffered large declines only after man and his livestock herds entered the picture. I find it impossible to accept that the large herds of elk have been decimated by the dwindling (almost nonexistence) number of wolves, which were hunted to near extinction.

4llamas, Some things are true if you believe them or not. Montana's elk herds have been in serious decline as well, especially around the park. The calf survival rate in Yellowstone proper dipped to single digits at one point. Wolves only do three things: They eat, sleep and make little wolves. They are perfect killing machines. It is what they do, and contrary to popular belief, they kill for fun as well as for food. I have a friend that is an Official hunter/trapper for the state of Montana that has killed over 300 problem wolves that decided domestic livestock was easier fare than wild game. He has performed hundreds of autopsies on livestock and elk killed by wolves. The stories and photos are not what you see on the Disney Channel.

cwd

there are many wolf packs in the west . talk to someone from the Yellowstone area. the wolves have put a huge dent in elk and moose there. the problem with wolves are that they kill for food and also for fun ask any rancher in that area.

idahoron said:
Wolves have caused the down fall of several herds of elk here in Idaho. Moose hunting has been closed for a few years now in several units. I can understand the interest in wolves, They are a very interesting animal. But here in Idaho the only money that our game department has is Hunting and fishing licences and tag sales. When the wolves reduced populations, and in some cases beyond the breaking point. Idaho Fish and Game saw a reduction in revenue by many thousands of dollars. Now they are broke!

Hunting got worse and worse. The non residents left and many of the residents also decided that they would just sit out. So here is where I reach out to the people that can help. Please if you feel that strongly about them please write a check. Send in a contribution to the F&G to help protect our wildlife. I give them over 400 dollars a year in licences tags, and I also donate time. Our game departments need money to operate. If they can't get it from hunters someone needs to fill in. We all love animals, show it with your dollars.
I'm not a hunter, but I'm curious, it seems to me like the Fish & Game Dept. could make some money selling wolf tags, thereby managing their numbers to what they determine is acceptable. Could that possibly be a solution?

Wolves (were/are) considered federally and state protected animals in some areas and not a "game" animal, or a nuisance (i.e., rodents). In Oregon they are both on the state's endangered species list as well as the federal endangered species list (in most of the state). Oregon's wolves migrated from Idaho. Wolves can only be killed in Oregon by state or US officials, or in the course of protecting human life. In very limited cases, ranchers are allowed to kill a wolf to protect livestock. Our fish and game wolf program costs us $650,000 over two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom