Most secure - truck cab or camper?

Cars being cased?

Let's add a little perspective to this discussion. I take these kinds of reports with a grain of salt but this is one of the theft scenarios we are trying to not be a victim of. A determined thief is going to get into anything, but we're lucky in that most thefts are crimes of opportunity. The simplest and best precaution we can take is keep items out of sight.

I'm knocking heavily on wood here, but in all our wanderings we have only had two break ins. One was returning home from our wedding. The truck was packed full of gifts - attractive to a thief. A homeless guy broke in (pried open a window to get to the lock) - took his time - and took stuff he needed for his life style. He didn't take the electric wok. The second time was because my vehicle was recognized as mine, professionally entered with a slimjim, and only items identifiable as mine were taken. This was purely a local issue.

Earlier I had mentioned paying attention to your surroundings. At a trailhead I will walk around and look for broken vehicle glass or other signs of past vehicle break ins. I have changed plans based on findings like this.

I live in a pretty safe place now, but when I lived in So Cal, I got hit twice, once for about 4K in Oxnard and the other for 15K in Burbank...this was back in the mid 90's. The reason I got stuff stolen is that I was cased, went back to my truck to get something with a camera around my neck, came back to broken windows less than an hour later. Sucked for sure.

So now I strongly consider where I am at first, then put my non-camera bag looking camera bags with gear I am not using underneath a false floor I made that sits on top of my fold down jump seats in the folded down position in back of my 05 Tacoma. I traveled all around the country with three Leicas, a panoramic body and one Nikon body to shoot over 1,200 rolls of film in a three year span, some 50,000 miles. We are talking tens of thousands in gear in places like DC, New Jersey and even down town new Orleans and not one incident. I usually walked away from my rig with a pair of Leica bodies in a ratty looking cotton canvas satchel and just went to work, but did not pull a camera out until well away from the truck.

So the big things, don't let your self be cased. Keep it out of sight so it is possibly out of mind and forgo the dorky Lowe Pro and other bags that scream "Camera in here" even if you leave with ALL your gear on an outing.

IMO, the camper is generally safer, simply because it lets you sort through and store things out of sight. That is, you can go through your photo gear, pick out which lenses and bodies you want to take on your hike (or what ever), and subsequently store the rest of them without having to look over your shoulder to see if anyone is watching you.

As to the question of a blinking red light scaring off potential thieves - in some cases, yes. A couple years ago a group went through my neighborhood and broke into 20 - 30 vehicles (including mine). Talking with the neighbors over the following days - it appears that everyone who had an alarm was skipped. The rest of us dealt with broken windows (or in my case, sliced soft tops & windows). The light probably won't cause every thief to move on - but it seems to have caused this particular group to do so.

Slightly off topic, but same principle applies. I got hit in Belize after walking around our lodging displaying a nicer camera with a big white lens. Later, when we went out to dinner, our place got popped. I lost the camera & lens, plus all my pics on portable storage and a variety of other valuables.

Conversely I've stayed in hostels in Italy where I never showed my gear until the morning I was leaving :) In addition, I had sewed a sports decal over the LowePro logo, to camouflage the bag.

Bottom line: If you don't display an opportunity, the motivation for a break in go down significantly.

As to the question of a blinking red light scaring off potential thieves - in some cases, yes. A couple years ago a group went through my neighborhood and broke into 20 - 30 vehicles (including mine). Talking with the neighbors over the following days - it appears that everyone who had an alarm was skipped. The rest of us dealt with broken windows (or in my case, sliced soft tops & windows). The light probably won't cause every thief to move on - but it seems to have caused this particular group to do so.

I get a little discount on my auto insurance for having an alarm on my car and truck. Apparently, some actuary has crunched the numbers and decided alarms help enough to warrant a small discount. A flashing red LED in the camper window and on the door sure wouldn't hurt.

I wonder if FWC could offer an alarm option in the future?

Re not flashing your gear - absolutely, I don't have any obvious camera bags.

What about putting semi pseudo bars on the inside of the windows? I have noticed that a fair number of the RTW (round the world) rigs have this.

I have been considering this for my camper, but have not decided on how secure to make it. Also, I want to keep the emergency window operational.

I wonder if FWC could offer an alarm option in the future?

Re not flashing your gear - absolutely, I don't have any obvious camera bags.

I think flashing your gear is required in Saline Valley.

It took me a little while, but I get it now. Nice one.

(Cut me a little slack, I am a midwesterner.)

Probably not wise for you to flash your gear up on the North Shore :unsure:

I think flashing your gear is required in Saline Valley.

The last time I saw someone flash their gear in Saline Valley, it was because (I'm not making this up) the bed-sheet didn't reach all the way around her when she crossed the road.

It was like a bad traffic accident - I wanted to look away, but I couldn't. :oops:

It took me a little while, but I get it now. Nice one.

(Cut me a little slack, I am a midwesterner.)

Don't you guys take off all your clothes and jump into cold water?

Don't you guys take off all your clothes and jump into cold water?

Yes, but that is when the water is liquid. Now, and for the next few months, it is as hard as cement.

(And I am not crazy enough to enjoy cutting a hole in the ice for the purpose of being even colder.)

Now I know we're off topic :cool:

No kidding.

Anybody have any thoughts on the security mesh?

What about putting semi pseudo bars on the inside of the windows? I have noticed that a fair number of the RTW (round the world) rigs have this.

I have been considering this for my camper, but have not decided on how secure to make it. Also, I want to keep the emergency window operational.

No kidding.

Anybody have any thoughts on the security mesh?

With a captured window, i.e. not a cab door window or a sliding window in the camper, I'd give mylar window tint some consideration. I drove that shell with the broken window for another year before pieces of glass started coming loose (poor college student). I've been told that there are mylar films made for making glass enclosures more secure. Seems like a natural application here. Even just some 5% (or is that 95%?) tint would gain security without making the window too dark.

Simple would be to screw some expanded sheet metal down over the window. Not particularly attractive, but simple & cheap.

What this thread has me thinking to do for my shop window is 1/4" round bar stock welded to some small angle steel on about 2" centers. The height of the window is wide enough that I'll have a piece of strap with holes for all of the bars to pass thru at the middle.

Back
Top Bottom