Mounting a 4wheel camper in a Nissan Frontier 05-2014

wetcoast

Hi,

Does any have experience mounting a new camper in a Nissan Frontier? Is the recommended method the same as in the Tacoma with the steel bracket in the bed?

I have HappiJac 182866 Universal Rear Anchor Tie-Downs on the bumper but I'm not sure it will work with the finch or Falcon.

My 1984 bolted through the bed. I'm thinking we have come a long ways since 84?

Thanks in advance!

There are a couple members here with Frontiers and I hope they'll chime in. From looking at Frontiers, I believe they have a traditional steel bed so mounting would be installing eye bolts through the bed. The Tacoma has a composite bed and therefore the need for the special bracket.

We have a 2010 Frontier with the 73" bed. Ski3pin is correct, the bed is steel and our Eagle is mounted using eye bolts and turn buckles. We are really pleased with the pickup and how it handles the FWC. I have airbags and 10 ply tires as the only non-stock items on the pickup, seems to be all we need.

Cheers,

Otis

Thanks Otis and Skipin. Are large washers the only thing preventing the eye bolts from pulling though the bed?

I have a 60" bed with Old Man Emu heavy duty leaf pack. It handled ok with the larger fleet, but I expect great handling with the smaller camper!

A picture of a FWC mounted on a Frontier,don't know anything about this as the owners weren't around.
I took this at Yellowstone on 29 Sept 2013 at Madison campground.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN4828.jpg
    DSCN4828.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 508
We almost always have the "bolt" the camper to those truck beds.

(Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, with the really short 5.0' bed)

The wheel well humps start in the middle of the truck bed and go all the way forward to the front of the truck bed, interfering us being able to put eye bolts in front of the wheel well humps.

I don't think Happijac or Tork-Lift make external tie down brackets for that truck??

"Bolt Down" is the only way we have been able to install our campers on that truck in the past.

:(

Hi,

I have a 2008 Frontier and an Eagle camper. It is bolded down with 4 eyebolts through the bed with large washers. No problems at all.

Chris

2007 Frontier and 2008 Eagle. Eye bolts and turnbuckles installed by the factory. Works great. Doesn't need the mod like the Tacoma. Has been on lots of rough roads and no problems. Just need to check the turnbuckles once and a while.

I have an 08 Frontier with an Eagle. I know that alot of people have had no problem with the factory install but some people have had issues with bent eyebolts, failing beds, and pulled out attachments at the camper. For me the idea of trusting my pricey brand new toy to a hardware store turnbuckle, eyebolt and fender washer was too scary. I also didn't like that the factory setup puts a bending load on the eyebolt.

I decided to use a beefy steel channel (superstrut) with crossbolts as turnbuckle attachments in the bed. The channel is attached with 2 bolts through the bed and a steel plate underneath. You can see pics of this in the forum topic below:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/6496-cracks-in-tundra-bed-at-turnbuckle-eye-bolts/page-2

I also used forged steel turnbuckles that I got at Fastenal. They are not expensive and make the stock ones look like tinkertoys. Initially I didn't change the holddown hardware on the camper but when I checked it after a year the bolts were all bent. I replaced the bolts with grade 8's and have had no problem since. I would do this before the camper is installed when access is easier. If you use your truck on rough back roads or 4wheel at all I would make these upgrades.

Let me know if you have any questions about my setup.

-Bill

Back
Top Bottom