Mounting a FWC Eagle to 2015 Tacoma

Helimedic

First off, I want to say hello! My name is Matt and Ive been reading this site obsessively since I found it.

Ive been dreaming of getting a Four Wheel Camper for years... and Im finally picking one up! I found a 2003 Eagle for my 2015 Tacoma.

My question is for those of you that have mounted one of these campers to your composite bed Tacoma. I have seen the mounting brackets that some have you have used. Are these manufactured by FWC? Are there any other options? Will simple eye bolts with large fender washers suffice?

Thanks for any help. Im hoping to pick this camper up tomorrow.

Hi Matt.

Yes four wheel camper makes the bracket for the 2nd gen tacoma bed. Another option is to make the bracket yourself or have a shop bend a piece of steel stock for you. Others have gone that route. Even I who goes for the cheapest option almost every time, sprung for the FWC-made brackets. Really bad things would happen if the camper ever fell off the truck.

Last I heard FWC strongly suggest against large fender washers.

Enjoy the Eagle.

Thanks so much for the reply. I was able to run down to Rocky Mountain Four Wheel Campers and Chris hooked me up with the bracket kit. Just in time to get it all mounted up and pick up my new-to-me Eagle! Im very stoked. Once again, thanks for the help.

BobD said:
You'll need a T-55 Torx Head driver for the bed bolts.
Thanks! Luckily I have a pretty extensive set of tools in my shop. I got it all mounted up and picked up my Eagle the same day. Now Im working on getting the Eagle fixed up. Fun project so far!

I'm glad you got the the correct brackets. They really are the best option.

Those long bolts that hold the bed and the brackets can get rusty and hard to remove. I had a terrible time getting one of them out initially. The head got so boogered up in the process that I had to get a new bolt from Toyota.

If you are ever going to remove the camper, I suggest you thoroughly clean up the threads on the bolts and apply anti-seize compound liberally. Also, tighten them well!

- Bernard

bfh4n said:
I'm glad you got the the correct brackets. They really are the best option.

Those long bolts that hold the bed and the brackets can get rusty and hard to remove. I had a terrible time getting one of them out initially. The head got so boogered up in the process that I had to get a new bolt from Toyota.

If you are ever going to remove the camper, I suggest you thoroughly clean up the threads on the bolts and apply anti-seize compound liberally. Also, tighten them well!

- Bernard
Thanks! More good advice... unfortunately, I applied the exact opposite of anti-seize... lock tight! We'll see how tough they are to get out at the end of the summer.

Another question... which I will also post as a new thread...

Ive got this Eagle now, and it came with an ice box. Ive ripped the ice box out and would like to replace it with a 2 way fridge. Which model is closest to a fitting without major modification?

I have a 2003 eagle on a 2015 Tacoma. Let me know if you need info icky mountain put in my attachments for my truck. Great job. Cost about 600$ for battery and truck attachments.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

I sure like my 2014 Eagle...I am lucky that I have two Tacoma's and can leave it on one of them most all the time so I am ready to leave most any time!!!
My first year I camped out 44 nights!!!This year I will beat that!!
I have a 2013 Tacoma for the camper, double cab, lift, bumpers/winch etc...seems I wonder a bit to much!!!
From hunting late fall/winter well year around it's worked great for me!!!
Enjoy!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom