Mounting a Hi-Lift jack to the rear bumper

telebrewer

Advanced Member
What is the best way to mount one standing upright? Does it need to tie into the rear of the camper? Anyone have any pix of how they mounted theirs? Thanks.

What is the best way to mount one standing upright? Does it need to tie into the rear of the camper? Anyone have any pix of how they mounted theirs? Thanks.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/forum/10/ RE: Rear gas and water can holder.

Look at the pictures in this thread to see how I mount mine.
The base rests on the bumper and as a safety for the quick fist holders I use a strap to the step. I drilled all the way through the camper and secured the quick fist holders using long bolts and nyloc nuts with large washers inside to spread the load.
I would rest the base on the bumper as these things are heavy! I strap the base to the carrier but you could make a bracket or buy the plastic base Hi- Lift sells and mount that to the bumper.
You can also take it apart and store it inside under the camper couch, which is what I do when I leave the truck in secluded areas.
Dsrtrat

I don't think I can answer your question, but I can share some pictures.

Each one I have seen over the years has been mounted a little different.

But if you are creative you should be able to make it work.

Attachments

• 1010059.JPG
    1010059.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 322
  • axe & shovel camper rack.jpg
    axe & shovel camper rack.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 420
  • gas rack can.jpg
    gas rack can.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 427
  • gas can rack #5.jpg
    gas can rack #5.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 452
  • rack custom #5.jpg
    rack custom #5.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 384
a few more misc. pics ...

Attachments

• High Lifter Jack on camper.jpg
    High Lifter Jack on camper.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 267
  • Ultility chet 7.JPG
    Ultility chet 7.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 311
  • spare tire.jpg
    spare tire.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 336
  • spare tire rack # 2.jpg
    spare tire rack # 2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 364
  • Tacoma CrewCab with Eagle 25.jpg
    Tacoma CrewCab with Eagle 25.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 298
I carry mine inside the truck behind the front seat on the floor :LOL:

Me too! :p

I've got a question for all of you guys that carry hi lift jacks...

I carry one too, and have used them for years on various vehicles....but it is getting harder and harder to find jack points that are sturdy enough to use one (without severely damaging the vehicle). They don't make bumpers like they used to. Everything on vehicles is getting lighter in weight to save on gas mileage.

In the old days I could put the hi lift jack right in the middle of my winch bumper and lift the entire front end of my truck without any damage.

I saw a picture of someone using it on one of the tow hooks on the front of an F250 Ford truck to change a tire.....but I'm hesitant to try it on mine.....as I have the diesel motor which makes the front end really heavy.

What are you guys using for mount points for a hi lift jack?

I saw a picture of someone using it on one of the tow hooks on the front of an F250 Ford truck to change a tire.....but I'm hesitant to try it on mine.....as I have the diesel motor which makes the front end really heavy.

What are you guys using for mount points for a hi lift jack?

The picture was probably mine. I also have the diesel and the tow hooks worked well, I wasn't concerned about stability. The rear is another issue. I bought the bumper attachment from hi-lift but with the Grandby on and loaded the one time I started to use it it seemed like the bumper brackets were starting to bend :( I may just haul a hydraulic unit along.

I hate my hi-lift. I use it as little as possible. From the simple saftey aspect I use my factory jack as much as possible.

I've tried a zillion methods to haul my hi-lift around. The hi-lift mounts you can buy work if you have a flat place to put them. If I was building a mount for the back of my truck it would not attach to the camper - the jacks weigh too much in my opinion to be hanging onto a bunch of aluminum. I'd tie it into the truck bumper/frame and keep it isolated from the camper.

Mine lays under the couch in the camper with a couple pieces of non-skid where it sits. It nestles in nicely amongst all the other crap I have sandwiched around it. Takes up minimal space actually.

The rear is another issue. I bought the bumper attachment from hi-lift but with the Grandby on and loaded the one time I started to use it it seemed like the bumper brackets were starting to bend
sad.gif
I may just haul a hydraulic unit along.

For the rear, I've always just put the hi lift jack in the receiver hitch and jacked away......never had any problem. Of course....I've never had to do that with the Hawk camper on the back. I wonder if the light rear end of a pick up truck coupled with the weight of a fully loaded Hawk camper would weigh about the same as the front end of the truck with the motor??????

The whole reason I started carrying a hi lift jack was because I found the small hydraulic jacks useless in the outdoors. They would usually just sink in the mud (usually why we became stuck in the first place) and not lift the truck at all. I could throw down a piece of plywood and the hi lift would have plenty of lift to get the truck up so I could stuff brush or rocks under the tires. You could also just jack up the entire rear of the truck and shove it over so if falls down out of the holes your tires are in..... kind of risky though as the jack usually comes out with force.

My hi-lift has been doing an admirable job of keeping my driveway from floating away for the last couple of years. The one time that I used it was a scary experience. We were all glad when one of the other crew trucks showed up with a modified floor jack.

I don't favor the hydraulic bottle jacks as they do not work when on their side. The purely mechanical screw jacks that came with my Toyota's work in any orientation. I recently used one to push a leaf spring laterally into place. I'm told that the jacks that come in Land Rovers are even better, but that comes from un-admittedly biased LR owners. Since LR's fail more often, a jack from one of them might be an easier score in the JY.

When I say "modified floor jack" this is what I mean:
Jack.jpg

It is a small floor jack from HF with the wheels removed and the skid-plate assembly made to bolt to where the wheels were.

Those with Hi-Lifts that are tired of the handle flopping and banging might be interested in this:
JackStrap2.jpg

It is an Energy Suspension product, but there are others made the same way. Wild Horses in Stockton, CA sells a private branded version.

Anyone ever try this? It let's you use the wheel as a lift point.
http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/lift-mate.html

I carry the hi-lift as a potential winch or as a jack when my bottle isn't tall enough because of being off road. Otherwise, I don't plan to use it. Just a contingency item.

http://www.hi-lift.c.../lift-mate.html

I carry the hi-lift as a potential winch or as a jack when my bottle isn't tall enough because of being off road. Otherwise, I don't plan to use it. Just a contingency item.

I bought this accessory with my Hi-Lift but have yet to use it, seemed to be the most functional of the accessories to me. Time will tell whenever my luck runs out.

http://www.hi-lift.c.../lift-mate.html

I have this too....works great if your tire is in a hole and need to lift and backfill. If you are changing that tire you are lifting, then you'll need some way to hold the axel up, because you can't pull the rim and tire off with the straps going through the rim. Front you might want to lock the sterring wheel before lifting.

I have this too....works great if your tire is in a hole and need to lift and backfill. If you are changing that tire you are lifting, then you'll need some way to hold the axel up, because you can't pull the rim and tire off with the straps going through the rim. Front you might want to lock the sterring wheel before lifting.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Well, since this has gotten off of the original topic, I will jump in. I got this as I have the stock front bumper.

http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/bumper-lift.html

Have not had a chance to use it, fortunately. It took me a day and a half just to rotate tires in my driveway and that was with a floor jack and an impact wrench....

I just added a 10T bottle jack to the pile of crap I haul in the back seat of the truck. A Diesel with a loaded Grandbyadds up the pounds.

I just added a 10T bottle jack to the pile of crap I haul in the back seat of the truck. A Diesel with a loaded Grandbyadds up the pounds.

You might only be getting 7 inches of throw on that bottle jack. Is that enough to, say, change a tire? Wouldn't you lose many of those inches to suspension lift? To go more than 7", you'd need to prop up the vehicle with something else (like a jack stand), retract the jack, and add a wood spacer to increase the throw. Have you gotten to actually using that jack in the field on your truck?

You might only be getting 7 inches of throw on that bottle jack. Is that enough to, say, change a tire? Wouldn't you lose many of those inches to suspension lift? To go more than 7", you'd need to prop up the vehicle with something else (like a jack stand), retract the jack, and add a wood spacer to increase the throw. Have you gotten to actually using that jack in the field on your truck?

It's got 11" of lift plus something like 3 that can be screwed up. I'm not sure how much it will really need in the field but I did shop for one that had a little more lift than some that as you say only have 7" and I doubt how well that would do, probably not all I need. Would a jack stand or just some wood blocks be the way to insure the job can be done? Jack it, block it, jack it again after blocking the jack up some more? I will test it to see how it looks.

Back
Top Bottom