Mounting options

brojez

Hello. Just got an older four wheel. It was previously mounted with bolts to a jeep comanche. I am looking to put it on a tacoma, but do not want to bolt it to the bed. Any advise? Thanks.

How To Stick It On

There are some pretty good glues on the market these days. By the way, welcome to the forum, as you can see were all here to help. DO YOU EAT FISH ?

Welcome brojez!

Glad to have you on forum .You will find you can get all your answers here if you can put up with some of our remarks! In response to your question what year tacoma? pre 2005 have steel beds new ones have plastic beds fwc mount different.You will find different opinions depending on use.Factory mounts to bed when you buy new camper.
As i have had both models of tacoma i have mounted as per factory,AND a second mount to back up.The reason ? found out the hard way as others have that things due brake under harsh conditions.
Attached is post that shows 2nd mounting for early tacoma>You can search through posts/threads and find other ways to mount camper to truck.
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654
Hope this gets you started.As always we demand lots of pictures!!
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les Lqhikers

Hello. Just got an older four wheel. It was previously mounted with bolts to a jeep comanche. I am looking to put it on a tacoma, but do not want to bolt it to the bed. Any advise? Thanks.

Hi brojez, Welcome to the forum:thumb:

Yea I had a older FWC Fleet model and that is how it was mounted...bolted through the bed. I bought a new FWC Ranger and still bolted it through the bed.

If you want to have the turnbuckles then call Stan @ FWC or Ben @ ATC and they can advise you how to install the eyebolts to the camper and sell you the hardware. If your bed is one of those plastic material then call them for help.

bro,

Welcome to the forum. Others have covered the mounting question for you. Be sure to check out lq's solutions, he's used both options on two different Tacoma's. Don't forget the pictures, we demand pictures around here. Best of Luck.

thanks

Thanks for the help. I have contacted four wheel for more info, and am anxious for my maiden voyage. It will be a huge upgrade from eggshell in the back of the tacoma.:D Had I known this was a photo junkie site I would have waited to post, as the wife has the digital in Maine for the weekend. Bear with me and I will post the progress.

Thanks for the help. I have contacted four wheel for more info, and am anxious for my maiden voyage. It will be a huge upgrade from eggshell in the back of the tacoma.:D Had I known this was a photo junkie site I would have waited to post, as the wife has the digital in Maine for the weekend. Bear with me and I will post the progress.

CARSON CITY, NV......WHERE YOU AT ....WE DEMAND PICTURES EVEN IF I HAVE TO DRIVE OVER AND TAKE THEM MYSELF...:D

Yep we are photo junkies. Send me a PM and I can see what I can do for you.

Modified ATC Setup

Ben from ATC installed two eyebolts in the back of my 03 Taco and bolted the front to the bed. The bolts are ok if you don't remove the camper from the truck. But I just load it for my weekend trips, so it's not very operational with the bolts. It's almost impossible to line up the holes.

Now I use some 8" of chain on the original Toyota eyelets in the front of the bed with the turn buckles going to the corner brackets. Chain and turn buckles are at an extreme angle, which I don't really like, but it works and is holding up fine. For off road I think I would use again the bolts in the front, just to be sure.

The back of the camper is held down with turn buckles to the installed eye bolts.

If you need pictures let me know. I took a few of Ben doing the installation on my truck a few months ago.

Back
Top Bottom