Mounting power sockets for electric camper jacks

patrickkidd

I need to mount these sockets for my new (to me) electric jacks on the outside of my 1993 Ranger 2. Anyone have a suggestion on a way to do this without dismantling the entire interior to remove the inside paneling? Seems every piece in the camper is in the way of the front and back panels...

Thanks!

87928__62482.1481042645.jpg

If you have space between the camper overhang and the top of the bed rail you could mount them to an L bracket and run the wiring through conduit that would be fastened to the underside of the overhang.

When I rebuilt my camper I used 2x4's on edge under the floor to give me clearance for the bed rails. These were screwed and glued and part of the floorpack. So I used the gray electrical conduit and mounted it under the wings of the camper to carry the wiring. To cross from right side to left, I drilled through the 2x4's and ran conduit. I could take some pictures if that would help.

shellback said:
When I rebuilt my camper I used 2x4's on edge under the floor to give me clearance for the bed rails. These were screwed and glued and part of the floorpack. So I used the gray electrical conduit and mounted it under the wings of the camper to carry the wiring. To cross from right side to left, I drilled through the 2x4's and ran conduit. I could take some pictures if that would help.
That would be great. Do you mean galvanized conduit as is used in homes? How did you get it from the elevated position on the corners down to the wings? And what did you mount the sockets onto the walls with?

I just received my Jack plugs today. Luckily I'm in the process of rebuilding my new to me camper. I'll be watching to see how your wiring goes.

I used the plastic electrical conduit. All the pipe and fittings were available at my local home depot. The angle brackets for the plugs were made out of aluminum angle. Here's a few pictures.

Attachments

• resize1.jpg
    resize1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 92
  • resize2.jpg
    resize2.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 94
  • resize4.jpg
    resize4.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 96
  • resize5.jpg
    resize5.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 86
I’m wondering, am I overplaying the difficulty of removing the inside paneling on the front and back? Is there an easier way than gutting the entire camper?

I've been considering converting my rieco titan mechanical jacks to electric. I've researched it enough to know that a kit is available to convert my specific jack model. Just wanted to ask if others with electric jacks have done the a conversion or if they just pay up for all new jacks and sell the old ones. This is a little off-topic for this thread, but just curious.

Wildcat said:
I've been considering converting my rieco titan mechanical jacks to electric. I've researched it enough to know that a kit is available to convert my specific jack model. Just wanted to ask if others with electric jacks have done the a conversion or if they just pay up for all new jacks and sell the old ones. This is a little off-topic for this thread, but just curious.
I'm pulling my control box and Jack's off my other camper. That camper sits permanently on a gooseneck, so It does not need them.

Wildcat said:
That is better asked an a separate thread as it decreases the chance that others will contribute to the original topic and makes it harder for others to use this thread for reference in the future.

Sorry, didn't intend to deviate into the details. I almost ordered the jack conversion kit last year but then started thinking about the wiring issue.

Getting back on topic, my conclusion from prior interior work is that there is no easy way to get behind the wall panels on all 4 corners unless you start with a shell model or have minimal interior upgrades. Mounting the plugs on angle brackets like shellbacks approach is a good solid method. I'll probably end up going with something a little less formal and run exterior wiring but see if I can leave the plugs dangling on each corner between the camper and the truck bed and then just reach over the truck bed rail and pull them out when needed. Of course I'll have to secure and minimize the slack in the wires so they don't get in way when installing the camper. Yes, it won't be as clean as having a mounted plug and I'll have to use two hands to push together the wire connectors, but I'll try it out for a season. I can always modify it later if needed.

Wildcat said:
Sorry, didn't intend to deviate into the details. I almost ordered the jack conversion kit last year but then started thinking about the wiring issue.

Getting back on topic, my conclusion from prior interior work is that there is no easy way to get behind the wall panels on all 4 corners unless you start with a shell model or have minimal interior upgrades. Mounting the plugs on angle brackets like shellbacks approach is a good solid method. I'll probably end up going with something a little less formal and run exterior wiring but see if I can leave the plugs dangling on each corner between the camper and the truck bed and then just reach over the truck bed rail and pull them out when needed. Of course I'll have to secure and minimize the slack in the wires so they don't get in way when installing the camper. Yes, it won't be as clean as having a mounted plug and I'll have to use two hands to push together the wire connectors, but I'll try it out for a season. I can always modify it later if needed.
I was tired of projects and took the easy route. I wanted to go camping. Here is my utterly professional-level wiring job:

View attachment 33342IMG_0828.jpegIMG_0829.jpegIMG_0831.jpegIMG_0833.jpeg

My current plan to mount the sockets to the mounting brackets using aluminum L-brackets and clean up run the wiring routes using the split-loom shown. Running it inside would be ideal but outside is totally fine.

I'll post photos back when I'm done.

Back
Top Bottom