Mounting Rear Wall Steps

mtbxr650

Advice requested please. I am going to mount some rear wall steps to the back of my camper so that I can access the rear roof rack. Looking for advice on how to locate vertical frame, should I thru bolt them with a backing plate, tap it or is it enough to just use machine screws? Also should I be sealing the fastners? Thanks!

I have the rear steps on my 2015 Hawk. Have NEVER even tried to use them. Total waste as far as I'm concerned. I hang things on them once in awhile and use as a hand hold when cleaning. No idea how the factory decided where to install each step. Seems just around whatever was in the way :(

The steps are very difficult to use unless you’re a young nimble rock climber. On our flatbed the steps are on the side and very high up to the first one, we would need a ladder just to get on the lower step. May as well carry a ladder, which would be more versatile all around. FWC bolts them on and inside the camper they use large fender washers as backing.

Dean

I installed them myself, through bolted them with fender washers and acorn nuts inside. Install was 11 or 12 years ago, there is a post about it if you can find it. I called Four Wheel to get the measurements of where to drill.

Just back from a week in northern Nevada (Santa Rosa Range and Eugene Mtns). FYI, the step on the lower right/passenger side makes a great beer bottle opener. But you-all knew that.

Back
Top Bottom