Move to the Pacific Northwest

4buckeye

Advanced Member
It's been awhile, and this post was done back in May. Thought I would still share and will continue blogging about summer explorations! Looks like we have a lot to catch up on since life has held us hostage from the forum! Can't wait! In the meantime...

http://www.4buckeye.blogspot.com/2014/09/move-to-pacific-northwest-and-first.html

Cheers! - The Buckeyes image.jpg

Nice report. Hope you're enjoying the Northwest. Lake Quinault was one of my first encounters with the Olympic country waaay back in 1970.

I strongly recommend a good collection of gore-tex jackets if you've not already bought them. :D

Welcome to the PNW. Enjoy the weather now as soon it will be wet, dark, and gloomy...for months...

Did you bring the hay burner with you? Look like an English rider?

Welcome to the North wet. The 3 months of beautiful weather are almost worth the 9 months of gloom. Looks like you are in the Kirkland area nice area.

highz said:
Hope you are able to finish up the house sale soon so you can enjoy Washington together. Look forward to more trip reports!
x3!

We have missed you two and your trip stories. Best wishes on getting settled.

welcome to washington.
in your trip report ,you mentioned needing hiking,camping suggestions.sol duc hot springs is our favorite. we're to old and out of shape to hike ,but we love to soak in the mineral pools.you can hike all over olympic park from there.the scenery is fantastic. for beaches, we like realto beach up by forks and cape disapointment ,down by the columbia river. i;ve also heard that the hoh rainforest is great too. i've never seen ohio,so i'm not sure what type of scenery you are used to.we have lots of variation here in wash.

wes

Greetings,
Yuppers on the "Three months of ..."
Here on the Oregon Coast we've had a wonderful July/Aug/Sept summer.
The rain just hit us today, and actually is a refreshing change.
Ask me how things are in a few months after 70mph winds with gusts to 110mph!!

Cheers,
Thom

Accrete said:
Ask me how things are in a few months after 70mph winds with gusts to 110mph!!
That's when I want to be there!
A few years ago I experienced the strongest winds of my life while camped at Cape Blanco (Oregon's westernmost point). In the campground, in the trees, the winds were moderate...but pretty EXCITING out the open bluff! :p

yup on the "excitement"... There was a winter storm that hit the coast the year before last that had clocked gust of 110mph at the Astoria airport just a mile from the golf course we live at. Fortunately the designer of the RV spaces have them so that the normal prevailing SSW winds and storms hit the rigs head on... so i suppose it _feels_ similar to if we were traveling down the autobahn and trying to sleep in the rv ;) (Cari was white knuckled that night...i was trying my best to keep a brave exterior, all the time wondering if we would still be upright in the morning!)

:) Thom

The winds I experienced at Cape Blanco I'm sure were nothing near a record -- there were high wind warnings, though. I just remember walking along the treeless bluff above the beach (when winds were highest) with the wind at my back, and then I turned around to walk back up the trail -- against the wind. And at first I wasn't sure that I could walk against the wind...I had to lean in hard. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom