Weighing my FWC options (shell vs standard; fleet vs swift; now vs later) help talk me through it pl

Here is the best pic I could get of it

aGRoby9.jpg

drewdown said:
Trying to answer as many questions as I can still, one of them being how much insurance will be. Here's an article from Truck Camper Magazine with 190 different answers on insurance. I've finding this very frustrating. Everything from it's already covered as cargo, to a $15 rider, to my quote from my insurance co of $400/year. Seems awfully high if you ask me. But know I'm skeptical of if some of those people actually are covered as well as they think they are. I don't want a tree branch falling on my camper and crushing it, or have it stolen out of my garage and be hosed. I have used allstate for my home and auto for years and really don't want to switch if I don't have to. Here's the article in question:

Edit: this computer won't let me paste the article for some reason
I sell insurance and have insured a couple on this forum. There are several options where it can be added to a vehicle to a small amount but "usually" doesn't cover it when not attached. Or you can get a separate policy for it that will cover it at all times. Those are like $200/yr depending on the value and such. Let me know if you want to talk.

Thanks pax. This might all be for nothing it seems. If it doesn’t fit in the garage I’m not gonna park $60 worth it rig out in the desert sun. And if taking on and off his half as difficult as the guy at Four Wheel Camper explainer then I won’t be doing that either

Drew, there was a big post on garage height during the past 16 months. Rotti showed pictures and had measurements, and he has a Hawk. Not sure whether is opening is taller. Worth looking for the post. I might suggest starting another post to bring others out of the wood work. Also, might check to see what the cost is to raise the height if possible. I will look for the post. jd

Drew, Maybe this post will help. Rotti raised his header to get his camper in the garage. You can PM Rotti to find out the cost. You might be OK. Click on the link below.

Garage Door Post

Swift is 54" so measure from the bed to the header. Also with the weight of the camper, the truck should settle down 1"-2"+/-.
Good Luck,

jd

longhorn1 said:
Drew, Maybe this post will help. Rotti raised his header to get his camper in the garage. You can PM Rotti to find out the cost. You might be OK. Click on the link below.

Garage Door Post

Swift is 54" so measure from the bed to the header. Also with the weight of the camper, the truck should settle down 1"-2"+/-.
Good Luck,

jd

Thanks Longhorn I read that thread before and after my dilemma. I don't think raising the garage height is an option. For one it can't be cheap, and I also live in an HOA with houses close together. It would stick out I'm sure. I measured as I pulled out on my way into work this morning and it was 48" from the bed to the top of the garage. I have plenty of room inside the garage but it's just trying to get in initially. I had the same problem when I had a RZR on a trailer

What’s wrong with deflating the tires, and adding weight to the back of the truck to get it to sit lower. I recently did this a few times to get my trunk in and out of the garage. Hahaha

Drew, getting my F-250 into our garage was a no go. Have an HOA to deal with also. We keep our Grandby in storage sitting on 3/4" X's and covered with tarps, from early November until early March, and mid-June to Labor Day. Too hot and humid in Indiana during the summer. We have gotten good at loading and unloading. When it is on the truck, the jacks come off, and it is parked in the driveway. If you have a level driveway, you could have it on a dolly, and load as you go. We pay $57 a month for storage. You might find a place where you can store the truck/camper. Just trying to throw out some ideas. jd

I don’t want to deflate the tires because one day I’ll forget and drive in and destroy the camper.

Also I can store the camper off my truck in the garage. I have a two car garage and currently my truck and the camper I tow fit no problem.

IMG_1368.JPG

I was kidding about deflating the tires (although I have done this more times than I would like to admit in the last few weeks.)

I will probably be doing something more like this when the camper is not in use. This is a super cheap trailer that I have had for the last few years, It will probably end up being more of a cart for the FWC.

That’s what I’m planning. My dad gave away a similar trailer to my uncle who isn’t using it so I’ll just use that as my dolly

I put my Grandby on a trailer that became a flatbed after I cut the sides off. I store my camper in the garage in the winter with the top popped up. Sometimes I run a dehumidifier inside because it seems to be constantly damp where I live.

Well I’ve got my quote from AT overland. I think I’ve made all my decisions. Last and most important thing is to drive to Prescott and see them in person. Pending that I’ll go ahead and put my deposit down.

drewdown said:
Well I’ve got my quote from AT overland. I think I’ve made all my decisions. Last and most important thing is to drive to Prescott and see them in person. Pending that I’ll go ahead and put my deposit down.

So what did you end up with??? Did you place your order?

Pax2525 said:
So what did you end up with??? Did you place your order?
I did. Placed an order for a well equipped Swift. I'm very excited and this is going to be the longest 10 or so weeks of my life!

drewdown said:
I did. Placed an order for a well equipped Swift. I'm very excited and this is going to be the longest 10 or so weeks of my life!
Swift shell or full camper??

Either way congrats!!! I can only imagine the 10 week wait for a new camper

Pax2525 said:
Swift shell or full camper??

Either way congrats!!! I can only imagine the 10 week wait for a new camper
I went with the full camper plus a few add ons

Pax2525 said:
Some of your questions have been answered above but I will reemphasize some of them. The Swift (5ft model) is only made with the Roll-Over Couch so to get a side dinette you would have to make that yourself. Also the Swift used external mounts not the traditional mounts. Don't know if you did a Fleet (or Eagle) on the 5ft bed you would need that as well, I assume so.

Shower- The shower is an expensive add on I would really put some thought into. It not only takes up potential storage space but add costs also. Yes nice feature but there are alternatives like the road shower and others like it. Ive heard the interior shower is a nightmare so I wouldn't plan on that.

Sink- Can be easily added to a shell to drain into a container. The real question is what do you need the sink for? If your wanting it for dishes and more, then you'll also need the water tank and some sort of pump. Meaning you're leaning more towards a full camper. Although both of those can be added to a shell as well.

Swifts themselves don't pop up too often and especially in silver spur, not to discourage you but its reality. Don't let the price increase force a large decision. If you can hold out for a used model you can save some money for sure.

Good luck!
Can you (or anyone) comment as to why the FWC interior shower is a nightmare?

Thx.

Back
Top Bottom