Weighing my FWC options (shell vs standard; fleet vs swift; now vs later) help talk me through it pl

I think I pay tax either way. But I’m sure CA sales tax is higher. Either way I’ll keep this thread updated

You will pay out the WAZ taking delivery in CA. Delivery and install at a dealer will be cheaper. Also the dealer will wire the camper to truck and do the install, in addition to spending several hours going over everything with you. jd

So had another big delopment. Talked to my lender and they claim they can get me the loan against the value of my truck for 1.74-2.99% depending on the duration. So if that’s true I’ll go ahead and order. Just gotta hit up AT overland and climb inside one and make sure I’ll be happy in it. But I’m 99.9% I’m gonna do it.

can anyone tell me how tall above the cab the truck will sit? I need to figure out what I'm gonna do about my garage. I'm praying it will fit but need to think of a plan B

drewdown said:
So had another big delopment. Talked to my lender and they claim they can get me the loan against the value of my truck for 1.74-2.99% depending on the duration. So if that’s true I’ll go ahead and order. Just gotta hit up AT overland and climb inside one and make sure I’ll be happy in it. But I’m 99.9% I’m gonna do it.
Wow, that’s an insanely good deal for an RV loan. Jump on it. I tried to finance a private party purchase last month and my bank had no freaking idea how to deal with a “vehicle” that didn’t come with a title and only had a manufactures statement of origin. Not trying to scare you, but just get your financing dialed in before you commit to a down payment. I’m in Washington and we have some dumb rules here regarding slide in truck campers so you’ll hopefully have an easier experience in AZ.

Sir Walter said:
Wow, that’s an insanely good deal for an RV loan. Jump on it. I tried to finance a private party purchase last month and my bank had no freaking idea how to deal with a “vehicle” that didn’t come with a title and only had a manufactures statement of origin. Not trying to scare you, but just get your financing dialed in before you commit to a down payment. I’m in Washington and we have some dumb rules here regarding slide in truck campers so you’ll hopefully have an easier experience in AZ.

yeah it's a good deal, but they don't see it as an RV loan, just as an auto refinance. Similar to a home equity loan I suppose. Which you would think would be a much cheaper rate than loaning the full value of a used vehicle but whatever works. So I won't get my truck title this month like I hoped but I'll have the title to the camper from the start so there's that.

I'm also trying not to finance anything that can be added later. This includes mechanical camper jacks. Am I crazy for this? I feel like I'll want it on the truck for the first few months at least. (if it fits in my garage which after searching the forum I think it will). Can 4-6 people lift the camper onto a dolly? Has to be some kind of way!

drewdown said:
I'm also trying not to finance anything that can be added later. This includes mechanical camper jacks. Am I crazy for this? I feel like I'll want it on the truck for the first few months at least. (if it fits in my garage which after searching the forum I think it will). Can 4-6 people lift the camper onto a dolly? Has to be some kind of way!
I would look into borrowing a set of jacks. Most of us have them off most of the time. See if anyone has a camper near you. If you see a camper not just a pop up in your area talk to the owner about borrowing or renting their jacks.

That is a good loan offer. My interest rate is much higher but my initial cost isn't the same as yours will be.

Just went to measure my camper unloaded. It is ~88". Four inches higher than my last measurement. Guess I should have measured after the most recent suspension work. Another reason to have airbags is to allow the camper to squat down a bit if trying to fit in a garage. Definitely something to think about. My old apartment would not let me leave my camper in my carport even though I could still back the truck in and use the space. In my current living situation it isn't an issue. Get the Jacks. Better to have them and not need them.

Thanks for checking that for me. Hopefully I can make it home to check soon

We also have a 5' bed (Frontier) and the Swift is the only model that will fit.

We opted for a shell model to keep it as open as possible and keep the weight down.

Ours is bolted rather than secured with external tie downs, and I personally prefer it since it's never coming off.

You can't go wrong with whatever you choose/fits your vehicle - but I recommend considering a shell for such a compact camper.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:28635]

Thanks for the input.

AT Overland has a Fleet in stock so not exactly the same but should be close enough to get a feel.

Trying to answer as many questions as I can still, one of them being how much insurance will be. Here's an article from Truck Camper Magazine with 190 different answers on insurance. I've finding this very frustrating. Everything from it's already covered as cargo, to a $15 rider, to my quote from my insurance co of $400/year. Seems awfully high if you ask me. But know I'm skeptical of if some of those people actually are covered as well as they think they are. I don't want a tree branch falling on my camper and crushing it, or have it stolen out of my garage and be hosed. I have used allstate for my home and auto for years and really don't want to switch if I don't have to. Here's the article in question:

Edit: this computer won't let me paste the article for some reason

Also I spoke directly with someone at FWC. He said the internal mounting system will work on the shorter 5' bed, but made it clear that it's a pain in the ass due to lack of room. But it sound's doable. I explained that I plan on putting the camper on several days before a trip and don't expect to grab and go, or disconnect at a campsite and he agreed he would go that route as well. So that is good to know

I have a set of the Rieco jacks that are rarely used since I leave the Grandby mounted more or less fulltime. If you follow through with your purchase plans and choose to buy the camper without buying the jacks, I'm sure we could work something out for you to make use of mine as needed (since it appears you're in my general 'hood). Let me know if so...
Rico

Hey RicoV that's awesome of you to offer! I may have to take you up on that! That would free up a little extra for me for sure. I live on the NW side but actually am working at the fire station near Vail currently. Would love to check out your set up sometime!

Drew, we have USAA for our imsurance My father was in the Navy. Our FWC is covered as part of the truck at no additional charge and is also covered when off the truck. There have been several lengthy post over the last 2 years. Some are really getting hit with a big premium.

Make sure you get the jack brackets, not sure whether they are part of the base or not. jd

Just got home from work and found some extremely disheartening into. My garage header is only about 6’10 or 82”. I have about 10” of clearance above the truck and I don’t think that’s enough. Totally bummed

Back
Top Bottom