Mt. Patterson in the Sweetwaters

locrwln

Sorry for the delay, this occurred over labor day weekend and I am just now getting around to posting. This was a quick weekend trip.

4 adults, two dogs, chevy truck and a fwc summit Mt. Patterson in the Sweetwater Mountain Range.

My wife, me and my in-laws headed down to Bridgeport, CA for some camping and whatever else we could find over Labor Day Weekend. We camped at Buckeye Campground, the in-laws brought their travel trailer. We arrived on Saturday and took our time and after lunch we hopped in my truck and headed over to Bodie. It had been almost 40 years since my in-laws had been to Bodie. We took some photos and walked around and marveled at the tenacity and ingenuity of the residents.

We headed back to camp and that wrapped up Saturday. We had planned on heading into the Sweetwater range and shooting for the summit on Sunday.

We got up on Sunday and made our way north. Turning northeast off of US395 at Burcham Flat road we started the climb. I aired down and away we went. I had never came in from the south side, so it took a little map reading and discussion to find the right road. My in-laws had never been to the summit and it had been over three years for my wife and I.

We worked our way up to Lobdell Lake and continued the climb. We left the highway at a little under 7000' and were at just over 9000' at the lake. From Lobdell lake, the road is used mainly by quads and side by sides, so it gets a little rough and tight for a full-size truck and FWC. I did have to make a few three point turns on the switchbacks and my MIL almost ripped the "oh-jesus" strap out of the roof because most of the shelf road had her looking over the abyss. We made it to the plateau just below the summit and decided to get out do some walking at 11000' feet. Just to the south of the plateau road, there is a mining cabin and evidence of mining. We walked down to the cabin, which at that elevation takes a little more effort. We made it down and looked around and again marveled at the drive someone had to live/work there.

Above the cabin looking west at the sierras

On the way back, my in-laws (late 60's/early 70's) ran out of steam, the elevation was too much, so I retrieved the truck and picked them up. Then it was to the summit. Mt. Patterson 11,654 feet here we come. Again it took a three point turn on one of the switchbacks to get there, but...

My 72 year old FIL with their rat terrorist (I mean rat terrior) at the summit.

I found and made an entry into the Geocach that is located up there. After we got some pictures, it was time to head down towards the east. We lunched in the townsite of Belfort, which sits at 10,000' and slowly made our way down to highway NV 338 and back to camp. It was an awesome trip and the truck took it all in stride. The camper ended up with some new "character" spots, those trees on the way up, got some love in as we eeked past them.

If you are in the area, you owe it to yourself to check it out. It is one of the last areas that you can drive a vehicle to over 11,000' in California.

Jack

Thanks everyone, it is truely spectacular up there.

Here are some more pics.

Lonely truck on the plateau.

Looking east from the summit.

Looking south.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom