mt rushmore

joez3

Advanced Member
I am in the planing phase for a trip to the mt rushmore area of SD. Anyone have any suggestions on getting there or places to see in the area. At this time I am not sure if I'll be taking the camper, so we might be tent camping.
I would like to see mt rushmore, bad lands, custer state park
On the way back we might spend a day or 2 in Yellowstone, we have been there before.

Devil's Tower in NE Wyoming isn't that far. We are going to stop at both Devil's Tower and Mt. Rushmore on our way back from Montana in October. As far as camping, there is a KOA near Mt. Rushmore that has a bus to take campers over for evening viewing. jd

I like Fort Robinson State Park in the Nebraska Panhandle not far south of the Black Hills in SD. It's at Crawford, NE, right on US 20 for a westward departure (since you mention YNP as a possible for the return trip).

What direction are you arriving from, in general?

Foy

It is a beautiful area. We stayed at the Rafters J Bar Ranch Campground and really enjoyed it. Make sure you visit Crazy Horse. Have a great trip, Bigfoot Dave

At Devil's Tower the KOA plays Close Encounters of the Third Kind every night on the big screen outdoors with Devil's Tower behind the screen. Also the Crazy Horse monument is worth seeing.

If you are in to dispersed camping (a.k.a. boondocking) there is a multitude of good places to camp off of Forest Service roads. Stop at a Forest Service information station and get both Motor Vehicle Use Maps (there are two, east and west). It will tell you where dispersed camping is allowed. Seems the only time the backcountry is crowded is during hunting season. Some roads are good, some are bad, all are dusty. I have done a lot of camping between US85 and US385 during the height of tourist season and had the place practically to myself; some mountain bikers and horse back riders, thats about it.

Spearfish has an excellent city park where drinking water is available and has wading in tame rapids, if you have kids or are there are looking to cool off when it is hot. Be careful in Spearfish if you leave a pet in your vehicle as they have very aggressive animal welfare patrols.

Don't go during Sturgis Bike Week (unless you enjoy crowds) as they dominate the tourist attractions for about 2 weeks before and after: RV campgrounds will be full, you will wait 1+ hours to pay $0.50 higher per gallon for gas, all parking spaces will be filled with bikes, left turns from side roads onto a hiway is next to impossible... I only saw two bikes on FS roads the weeks I was there last year during Bike Week.

jim

JaSAn said:
Don't go during Sturgis Bike Week
What?
That is the best time to visit. Live a little, walk on the wild side, come and visit with a half million of my closest friends. Unsure? I could post pictures....

Thanks for all the info. We will be coming from the Salt Lake city area, I would like to find some back roads so that we aren't on interstates all the time. We might be taking a car on this trip, so off-road will most likely be out

Back
Top Bottom