My first trip report...kind of

sdmarkus

Advanced Member
While not your typical WTW trip report, figured this would make a good introduction for anyone that did not see the exchange in Marc's used camper thread last month.

I'm training for the Whitney mountaineering route next month and my "new" ATC has provided superb trail head accommodations on my last two training hikes. Guess where I got those handy leveling blocks :cool:
IMG_8034.jpg

This past weekend was my third and final training run and promised to be the most challenging.
IMG_0754.jpg

Mount San Gorgonio sits at just over 11500', 7th tallest in the states if you can believe that! We planned to camp on the summit after the 8-9 mile climb totally nearly 6000 vertical feet up the Vivian Creek trail.
IMG_8046.jpg

Lots of flowing water, beautiful flowers and untouched wilderness.
IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_8052.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

The last few miles were pretty challenging as we neared the summit and our new digs for the evening.
IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

Sunset was incredible as you would expect and we hunkered down for what was left of the Perseids meteor shower that night.
IMG_8125.jpg

IMG_8133.jpg

My legs are still sore, but I've got perma-grin from one incredible weekend. :D

Fantastic pics from the top...beautiful. Nice to see the camper being put to use, sweet set up!

Mount San Gorgonio is a worthy mountain and you will enjoy the Mountaineers Route on Whitney. Good for you and put that FWC to work!

Mount San Gorgonio is a worthy mountain and you will enjoy the Mountaineers Route on Whitney. Good for you and put that FWC to work!

Mark, cool to see you out and about with your new rig, enjoy..
Ski, gotta let U know that its not a four wheel camper but is in fact my old ATC Cougar

Ski, gotta let U know that its not a four wheel camper but is in fact my old ATC Cougar

Sorry for missing that detail, thanks for correcting me.............

Mark, great to see you putting that tough ATC to such good use! Keep wandering!

Thanks for the mountain photos!

I'm happy to see there are other mountaineers with ATCs and FWCs. Do you plan a one day accent or will you have a basecamp on Whitney?

Stew

While not your typical WTW trip report, figured this would make a good introduction for anyone that did not see the exchange in Marc's used camper thread last month.

I'm training for the Whitney mountaineering route next month and my "new" ATC has provided superb trail head accommodations on my last two training hikes. Guess where I got those handy leveling blocks :cool:

This is the majority of the action my rig gets as opposed to a dedicated off road trip with it. I bought it for some road trips but mainly as a convenient trailhead/basecamp rig for snowboarding, hiking/climbing, and hunting, etc.

Good deal, we put in for permits last year and were going to meet up with some socal friends for the climb but didn't get pulled. I have a newborn this year so those trips are on hold for shorter/local trips currently.

Thanks for the mountain photos!

Do you plan a one day accent or will you have a basecamp on Whitney?

Hey Stew,
We plan to overnight at Upper Boy Scout Lake and day hike the summit from there. We don't have a permit, but hope to snag one of the walk-ins available each day...fingers crossed :cool:

This is the majority of the action my rig gets as opposed to a dedicated off road trip with it. I bought it for some road trips but mainly as a convenient trailhead/basecamp rig for snowboarding, hiking/climbing, and hunting, etc.

Nice, snowboarding is one of my true passions and I'm excited about the coming winter in my new rig. Always up for some resort or BC riding if anyone is in the Eastern Sierra this winter.

-Mark

Hey Stew,
We plan to overnight at Upper Boy Scout Lake and day hike the summit from there. We don't have a permit, but hope to snag one of the walk-ins available each day...fingers crossed
cool.gif

-Mark

Two years ago did a 9 day backpack around Whitney and did Russell. If you have time when finished with Whitney and a extra day from Upper Boy Scout lake...do Russell.
http://vehicle.berkeley.edu/~caveney/russell.html

We plan to overnight at Upper Boy Scout Lake and day hike the summit from there. We don't have a permit, but hope to snag one of the walk-ins available each day...fingers crossed :cool:

Hey Mark,

I've camped at Upper BS Lake once (for Russell) and farther up at Iceberg Lake three times (for Whitney). I've never been up the Mountaineers Route but I have come down it twice--without 'pons or an ax. There was some black ice but we worked our way around it both times.

You might check with the rangers for info on conditions in the gulley to consider what tools you might want along. :)

I've needed permits for Whitney three or four times and have always been able to get them during the week. Be first in line at the ranger station at 6 am to be sure!

Good luck and good climbing.

Stew

Two years ago did a 9 day backpack around Whitney and did Russell. If you have time when finished with Whitney and a extra day from Upper Boy Scout lake...do Russell.
http://vehicle.berkeley.edu/~caveney/russell.html

Patrick, I spent a very cold bivy at Upper BS Lake late one September years ago and tried to get up Russell the next morning. The East Ridge knife edge was snow covered and slow going so we ran out of time. Russell is one of the CA 14ers I haven't been to the top of. :(

Stew

Back
Top Bottom