My First Trip to Glacier Point in Yosemite

The views at Glacier Point are hard to beat, but you just showed a perspective most people will never see. AWESOME adventure. You really inspire me to get my pack again out and leave the camper behind once in awhile, it's been way too long. Amazing pics. Thanks.

Great report, Ski! I love the close-up of the face of Half Dome and the red dawn photos. No worries about the lack of camper photos, it's Wander the West, not Drive the West. ;)

Wow, ski -- what a spectacular place, views, photos! I've never been there in winter...
I just know that spending the night up there must have been really special.
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing.

Never done yosemite in winter either. Need to rectify that. How much elevation did you ski?

+2 on close up of NW face of Half Dome.

Great trip report, Ski. I've only been there in summer, so the winter views are special. Tempts me to beak out the megamid once in a while.
thanks for the report and great photos.

Good stuff. Getting near the edge on snow pack would make me leery, never know if something would sluff off on ya.

Thanks much to everyone for the nice comments. Yes, it was really special spending the night out there. At night looking down at the valley below with the half moon above and the clouds coming in will be a special memory for us. Craig, on this trip there is not much elevation gain. You start at 7180, climb a small grade and then ski down to Bridalveil Creek (the low point) at 6940 and three miles in. At 8.75 miles you are at the highpoint near Sentinel Dome at 7820. You finish with the switchbacks down to Glacier Point at 7230 and 10.6 miles in. More uphill on the way in, more downhill on the way out. With this being a snow covered road with normal road grades, the downhills are not that fast. It makes for a special trip. You can rent equipment at Badger Pass and we saw a lot of people on rental gear.

Thank you for sharing the pictures.We did the Badger pass road years ago.The snow was a week or so old so all the moss and branches were on the snow,but we had a good time. Went out to a few of the points.It sure is a beautiful place. Any skiing we do now in usually on the road around lake alpine and out hwy.4 to the cape horn over look.We were just up at our place in Dorrington over the week end.We had about 4' of snow and didn't get out but for some walks.Just a bit much snow to do any thing also no power and little plowed roads.We had fun and left before we were snowed in.

Thanks again

Frank

Impressive!

I know the park through the Discovery Channel here in Brazil... i believe is one of the most amazing places in the world.

I do not intend to die before knowing... :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom