My Grandby Shell Upgrades

canfindtom

Just thought I would take a moment to share some of the Gandby shell upgrades I have come up with. Maybe some of my ideas will help others.

I removed the rear seat in my extended cab and built a storage box with slide out boxes and with space on top for soft cargo. There is room in middle (between the slide out boxes on each side) for a propane fire pit.

I had a formica top fabricated and I installed to provide lots of counter space, running all the way from the existing stove/furnace cabinet to the front of the camper. It is great. Same formica as the original in the camper. I am glad to have ordered a window on the driver's side.

I built a small cabinet under the counter to hold small misc. items.

I installed an ARB DC refrigerator on the floor at the front of the camper - works great. That being said there is a little problem with this as it slightly interferes with the complete folding down of the side couch into a bed. The being said the fold out beed is still functional. I wish the refrigerator was a few inches lower so the bed could come all the way down rather than be up a few inches - but it is what it is.

I had Four wheel Camper build be a cabinet that I installed on the existing small, low cabinet that is built into Granby shell campers on the rear passenger side . This has been a huge benefit, huge storage for all my kitchen supplies for easy access. I had Four Wheel move the upper small cabinets forward a bit to accept the new big cabinet. I cannot tell how great is have been to have this cabinet.

I built a cabinet for my drinking water carboys and installed a marine sink under it - piping the gray water out of the camper using plastic tubing and running out the door that access the turnbuckles and along side the camper and truck bed and down. I put a folding paid under the outlet to catch the gray water and dispose of it properly. Everything works by gravity, so pumps, no electrical.

I also ran an extension cord out the same route so that I can "plug in." I installed have a small battery charger in the battery cabinet and can easily plug it into the extension cord when house current is available to charge or maintain the battery as needed. It been working great.

I found a great hitch step that slides into the hitch when camping, and straps down into the camper when traveling. I it always very stable no matter what the ground underneath is like.

I also installed a usb and cigarette lighter plug adapter in the front part of the camper to be more accessible that the existing installed i the furnace box area.

I am very happy I bought the shell and did these improvements rather than a build out. It very much fits my and my wife's needs.

My only regret is that I did not order the solar panel installed by Four Wheel Camper. I did it myself, finally got it right, but it was not easy. Thankfully it is now working well.

Now that my massive ski season using the camper as my free hotel has come to a close it is time to run around the country a bit.

Safe travels to all.

IMG_0317.jpgIMG_0313.jpgIMG_0315.jpgIMG_0311.jpgIMG_0308.jpgIMG_0310.jpgIMG_0306.jpgIMG_0299.jpgIMG_0302.jpgIMG_0307.jpg

P.S. I am not sure why the picture posted upside down. I tried to fix it with no luck. Maybe they can be down loaded and rotated for better viewing by any one interested.

They are fixed! Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great setup.

Isn’t it a bit inconvenient having the fridge at the front of the camper? We seem to make a half dozen trips to the fridge and back every time we cook so having it within arms reach is nice! Maybe we should just get better at planning.

Here's another version of the photos. These are upright for my MacOS/Chrome system. Not sure they will be for other browsers.... (I can take them down if this isn't helpful)

canfindtom1a.jpgcanfindtom2a.jpg

canfindtom3a.jpgcanfindtom4a.jpg

canfindtom5a.jpgcanfindtom6a.jpg

canfindtom7a.jpgcanfindtom8a.jpg

canfindtom9a.jpgcanfindtom10a.jpg

The other thing that works for me in these situations is....

Click on the sideways photo
Click on SAVE (that should open a window with the photo upright)
After viewing the photo, close the new window
Close the sideways photo

I’m interested in hearing how the camper worked out for you during the ski season. Successes and issues...I’m considering going that route even though it’s nice to return to the lodge after a long day on the slopes.

The camper had worked great for my ski season - even in nights with some pretty low temps, down to almost zero degrees a few nights. That being said it is not like going back to the lodge. :)

It has primarily been just been me in the camper so plenty of room. Without comfortable outside time it could be pretty confining with more than just me. My wife is not a skier.

It does get quite a bit of condensation/moisture inside and so I learned to always pop it up after returning home and airing/drying it out. Before I did that I got mildew inside on the battens than run along the inside ceiling. I do not run the heater at night, I just have warn winter blankets and am just fine. I put hot water bottles in the bed before going to bed and that works well. Then before getting up I run the heater and the camper warms up in maybe 20 minutes. I added some bubble insulation between the thermal pak and the outside walls and I think that helps. I keep the bubble wrap insulation in between the wall full time and found no problem popping it up and down with it in there.

Because I focus on some serious skiing during the day I am pretty well done and down for the count in the evening after having dinner and a bit of reading. I have found some good free camping in the Tahoe area such as snow parks and the like.

Sure cuts down the cost of my ski trips.

Fireball,

With respect to the refrigerator I will agree it being in the front of the camper is not the most convenient place for the purpose of cooking outside, but it is for the purpose of being out to the way in the camper itself. You are correct - good planning when cooking outside cuts way down on the number of trip into the camper will cooking outside.

I have not found it to be much of a problem.

Back
Top Bottom