My new ride, 300 miles for about $4.80

To me the Tesla is the only "real" electric car worth anything as it has the range needed to actually get someone somewhere. I can't say I've seen one up here but then I live in a more rural area. I see more hybrid Prius's than anything...they are everywhere.

Not to get to far off topic but how does California handle road taxes on one of these types of cars? Typically, we pay a gas tax that goes to a dedcated transportation fund for maintenance and improvements. With electric cars, no gas...no tax. Here in Oregon I believe there are additional taxes paid on elec and hybrid's at the time of purchase to cover their share. There is ongoing dicussion in our state govenment about going to a per mile tax.

Riverrunner said:
To me the Tesla is the only "real" electric car worth anything as it has the range needed to actually get someone somewhere. I can't say I've seen one up here but then I live in a more rural area. I see more hybrid Prius's than anything...they are everywhere.

Not to get to far off topic but how does California handle road taxes on one of these types of cars? Typically, we pay a gas tax that goes to a dedcated transportation fund for maintenance and improvements. With electric cars, no gas...no tax. Here in Oregon I believe there are additional taxes paid on elec and hybrid's at the time of purchase to cover their share. There is ongoing dicussion in our state govenment about going to a per mile tax.
There are no taxes in California for electric cars as far as a road tax. I would be fine with a tax. In fact, I wish taxes were collected on interstate/online purchases as our states really need the money and then people might go back to shopping locally.

generubin said:
There are no taxes in California for electric cars as far as a road tax. I would be fine with a tax. In fact, I wish taxes were collected on interstate/online purchases as our states really need the money and then people might go back to shopping locally.
Interesting, I would of figured Cali would be all over getting some sort of road tax assessment.

ski3pin said:
But well within most people's daily commute distances.................................so not quite a shame but a start.
True, and it would be ok if a person lived in a big City. While I could commute to work in one of those, going other places would be a stretch. I'm not the guy that will buy a $19K rig to drive a few miles when I could walk, ride a bike, or get a car for a few grand that will also allow me to go beyond the city limits. While I find the technology interesting, I'm not convinced batteries are truely "green" given how the materails are extracted. But, we gotta start somewhere and develop alternatives. Costs will come down and range will increase in time.

I would really like to see a truly high mileage all electric car with a reasonable price tag.
I enjoyed my Ford Escape hybrid,but sadly to say I got rid of it last December,not sure why I did that.One of the few things in life I might regret.
Oh well,I would like to see some sort of small SUV alternative power vehicle that is a reasonable price.
Just hope electric doesn't get squashed,the day is coming when we run out of or it's way to expensive to run on oil.
IMO the major companies don't offer anything for a long mileage trip.Don't need one that only goes 80 miles or less on a charge.
Tesla has most of the answers.Hope it continues.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom