My newly purchased 1971 Alaskan Camper

Oz_70

Hi all, I am a WTW and Alaskan Camper newbie. After a two year hunt, I found an excellent condition 1971 Cab-Over Alaskan Camper and truck combo. I purchased the camper about a week ago and have since removed the camper from the Chevy truck it came with and placed it on my ford F350, I have pictures in the gallery. I have had all the normal questions of an Alaskan Newbie and have done lots of net and forum reading. At the moment I have a couple simple and few major repair and upgrade projects for the camper / truck in the plans and if forum appropriate I plan on occasionally commenting on progress.

The camper is in excellent condition and was stored in pole barn. It has one one small visible old water spot about 3 inches in size, otherwise it is dang near perfect for a 40 year old camper. I plan on resealing the trim and windows ASAP and I am currently researching sealants and trim tape - suggestions are welcome!

Cheers all!

Welcome aboard Oz,

1/8 inch thick Butyl glazing tape will work well for the eyebrows, channels and windows and is available from your nearest glass shop

Poly urethane caulking makes a great flexible seal at exterior corners...hardware store

new window brush material is available at most hardware stores...makes a big difference in dust control inside.

new pirelli for the inside and outside/top to bottom seals is available from Alaskan

Welcome aboard Oz,

1/8 inch thick Butyl glazing tape will work well for the eyebrows, channels and windows and is available from your nearest glass shop

Poly urethane caulking makes a great flexible seal at exterior corners...hardware store

new window brush material is available at most hardware stores...makes a big difference in dust control inside.

new pirelli for the inside and outside/top to bottom seals is available from Alaskan

Thanks Rusty! I especially thank you for the window brush material -- I never even thought of that!!!!!

After power surfing RV forums I think I have the material figured out, but I am not sure if I should use trim-able butyl (putty like)tape or non-trim-able rubber based tape? The company Elixir makes both, I have an example located here: http://rvadenver.com/rv_maintenance.htm

I plan on using ProflexRV for the side window and trim edge sealant, and Dicor Lap sealant and butyl tape for the roof vents.

I have Pirelli for the seals and I also have new o-rings for the hydraulics that I picked up when visiting the Alaskan plant last week.

Am I on target?

Oz,

I haven't used any of those materials so I couldn't direct you to any particular one. The glazing butyl is a very small, thin and narrow bead on a paper tape which would be placed under the window frame, the window eyebrow or under lights which have a penetration through the skin. I haven't had it protrude out from a joint and if any did it could be cut off easily.

The vents in the top of the camper would be my greatest concern and whatever sealant which has been used prior to your purchase should be cleaned off thoroughly before applying anything....personally I've never found a sealant which works well over "any"surface. I don't often say the Never word. Clean is good ;)

Nice interior Oz....Aluminum still looks bright....

same color as mine.....ash wood and yellow, original vinyl too...

is there a patch on the skin above that leak on the drivers side....the discoloration is about a foot or so inboard of the edge

Nice interior Oz....Aluminum still looks bright....

same color as mine.....ash wood and yellow, original vinyl too...

is there a patch on the skin above that leak on the drivers side....the discoloration is about a foot or so inboard of the edge

Rusty, it might just be the picture. No patch or damages; it appears the leak is coming from the hydraulic support bolt and/or the eyebrow trim.

All I really know is I need to get all the trim and windows off and then put back on and resealed ASAP before the rainy fall in the Pacific Northwest!

Oz

Tonight's life lesson: sometimes the 40 year old water tank located plumb squarely inside the cabin of the old Alaskan will burst at the seams! Literally!

Well, got to go keep mopping up! ARRRGGGHHH!

Oz

Also Rusty, I like your re-painted Alaskan Emblems -- its on my list of to-do's!

:)

I found that spraying the emblems with white primer and then top coating them with Testor's enamel (available in small bottles from hobby stores), worked for me.

Mike

I found that spraying the emblems with white primer and then top coating them with Testor's enamel (available in small bottles from hobby stores), worked for me.

Mike

That would be the way....do it before you need bifocals though :oops:

Lasts about 5 years, I'm preparing the next version

Back
Top Bottom