My Shell, or What it Looks Like when you Don't have Skills

camper101

Inspired by those of you who've done shell threads, here's mine.

I post it in case it gives you an idea or two, because I've gotten a ton of ideas here.

I've got pretty much zero building/carpentry/electrical skills or tools, so pretty much everything I've ever learned (or bought), I learned while working on this camper... I mention that partly to encourage your chuckles, but also to say very seriously: I've done my best to make things safe, but I don't know what I'm doing. You should talk to somebody who does and do a lot of research on your own.

I'll edit this over time as I get the time to add new things.
gallery_3749_748_52488.jpg
gallery_3749_748_67340.jpg

First change I made was got a battery installed by the local FWC guy (only mention that because he did a really good job I think). Battery is under the rollover couch, battery box is screwed to the floor:
battery.jpg
fuse box.jpg

My first major project was to install a heater -- in the middle of the dang floor! We tried using a catalytic originally, and were too wimpy to make it through winter nights at altitude, so went with forced-air. Unfortunately, we got the rollover couch on the driver's side, where all the room is to put the standard FWC furnace, so there weren't a lot of good options.

Ended up going with a Propex because it's small and I could make the venting work without drilling holes in the camper. Also thought I'd want semi-permanent (to remove during summer), but this is one of those prototypes that has never been removed... Yes, I should have treated the wood, but again it was a "prototype." Any wood that faces outside has been covered with something (I don't remember what - basically lacquer?).

Where it sits:
heater3.jpg

The back of the box:
board2.jpg

The board that holds the box to the camper wall:
heater board.jpg

The rear, just before screwing it down:
heater4.jpg

Another view:
gallery_3749_748_45462.jpg

Thermostat:
gallery_3749_748_38415.jpg

Propane line also comes out the back, runs around the side of the camper, and comes back in through a hole in the floor (I eventually did drill holes for a propane box that's more or less sealed off from the living space). I had a guy at the local propane shop make the connection to the heater, and I didn't want to have any of my own "work" inside the camper. There are quick-connects in the propane box so I can either run off my 11lb on-board, or connect to something sitting outside on the ground.

Exhaust tube goes through the Tacoma "cubby hole". I got an extension piece so it exhausts the way the instructions tell you to... You can barely see it from the exterior unless you're looking. I ordered some heat-tolerant wrap from McMaster but don't remember if I actually used it. The plastic has always felt fine when I tested it (ran the heater for like 5 hours straight and could touch with my hand).
View from the ground:
heater5.jpg

View from the front turnbuckle access:
heater6.jpg

Propane Box
I also installed a propane box because I didn't want the tank just sitting in there with us all the time... It's dorky but I have to say: this could be dangerous so do some research before you build a propane box, and do it at your own risk. If I had it to do over again, I'd get the factory propane box. It's very hard to get something aftermarket (at least in my experience). The idea is to protect us from most moderate leaks but won't do much for a catastrophe... CO/LP detector is "installed" right next to it.

Box is made from ABS plastic -- best I could figure out at the time. Silicone layer around the edge of the lid, held down with velcro. It's not completely airtight (I filled with water and held it upside down, and it slowly leaked out). Two vent holes are drilled in the bottom (one of which has the hose coming out, but it's not a tight seal so that one can vent a little as well). It is screwed into the floor, and at the top it's screwed to the square dowel. Screws are sealed.
gallery_3749_748_51793.jpg
gallery_3749_748_24149.jpg
gallery_3749_748_24734.jpg
gallery_3749_748_48206.jpg

Although it looks otherwise, the propane line is not getting squished by the camper -- it moves freely there. Just pulled it all out and inspected it all a few weeks ago and there's no wear.

Also, we have this shoe hanger thing (stuck on with velcro) which is functional but not beautiful.
gallery_3749_748_75164.jpg

Solar
(I've had a portable setup for about a year, adding a stick-on panel soon).

med_gallery_3749_748_511235.jpg

That is a Global Solar 90 watt stick-on panel. Yes, I was absent the day they taught caulking... Those panels are a little challenging because they have a strange black sticky thing on the edge. It gets all bunched up in shipment and I'd probably slice it off if I did another panel (I don't even know if you need to caulk around the edge). Fortunately you all are the only ones who'll get a good look -- it's practically invisible unless you're up high. If anybody wants more pictures let me know.

Below is how I got wires through the roof, inspired by this kind of product and this one. But I wanted something lower profile (it'll be 3/4" tall), and that could screw down. Plus I decided I'm not going to get 10 AWG solar wire through the roof easily, so it'll be leftover 12 AWG silicone wire. It turns into 12 AWG at the Pre-wiring anyway...

This is UV resistant HDPE from the scrap bin at the local plastic shop. Dug out some room for a grommet and copied the screw hole pattern from the FWC solar plug. I eventually trimmed the butyl tape, sealed, and covered wires with split loom to protect wires from the sun.
med_gallery_3749_748_739447.jpg

gallery_3749_748_20017.jpg
gallery_3749_748_76530.jpg
gallery_3749_748_59818.jpg

med_gallery_3749_748_2547330.jpg

Charge controller above. It doesn't have 2 inches of airspace above, but I described my use with Morningstar support (my particular details like watts, airspace behind, etc) and they said I'd be good. If you're thinking of doing similar make sure you talk with them.

Looks good so far! I am very interested in how the Propex works for you. We are going the same route, have the Wave 3 in our build, but are going to go to a furnace too. Need more BTUs in the cold weather. Might ask for some of your thoughts later on a PM

I also would like you hear your review of the propex after you give it a few good workouts.

Also, good luck with your project. :)

Thanks, this might be slightly less than a "build" -- what you've seen so far is most of it -- but hopefully it helps.

Regarding the Propex:

I've actually had it in for about 18 months (just getting around to posting pics now, partly due to encouragement from RC Pilot Jim). It has seen many many cold nights.

It works great -- much better for my needs than the Wave 3. The main thing is that the heat is instant, and you can fire it up when you're a few minutes away from camp to get the contents of the camper warmed up (gets really hot when the roof is down). For winter temps (like 20's, teens, and lower Fahrenheit) it it sufficient, but I wouldn't complain about more BTUs. That said, I "want" the camper to be like I'm hanging out at home in my shorts and T-shirt, and I realize that's crazy in a popup in the winter. Where it's positioned now, the warmest seat is the one towards the front, so whoever is chilly sits there (and I've considered trying to figure out some kind of front dinette for the coming winter. Wouldn't be hard to do something minimalist).

Winter nights it runs most of the night, again probably because I keep the thermostat up, but it's not super-hot upstairs by any means (I try to sleep outside of my sleeping bag, using it like a blanket and maybe tossing on another blanket, if that helps). I always have a window and the roof vent cracked for some fresh air.

If I had it to do over, I don't know if I'd get the couch on the driver's side. We thought we'd want to look out the window, and it's certainly nice, but you don't get much of a view from the couch. Couch on driver's side means you give up the side of the camper that has the most space for stuff like a furnace. If I'd had the space over there, I would've gone with the Atwood 2012 for cheaper price and more BTUs. Again, 6500 BTUs is sufficient... Who knows, maybe the Atwood would be more than I want (and get too hot or cycle on/off, maybe it's louder, I don't know). They also have a slightly larger Propex.

Any other questions let me know.

Added a few more interior pictures and propane box.

Sorry some of the pics are fuzzy - let me know if you want a better view of something.

Back
Top Bottom