My travels south

searching for nowhere

I left Seattle mid February and am now home. I had thought I would do some blogging along the way. But one of the themes of the trip turned out to be: no cell service. Here is the first post. More to come. (being added to this post)

I will not locate special places, but what is a special place? I've decided to search for the name of the place in google. If I only get a few hits (or none), that will meet my definition of a special place. All my dispersed camping spots I found on camping websites, so there is no reason for me to disclose their location. UPDATE: I forgot that I have a map of my campsites. I will update the map. None of the sites I camped were anything close to a secret special place.

I hope you enjoy following my trip.

It Is a GO | searching for the middle of nowhere

Life Happens | searching for the middle of nowhere

Panamint Valley Exploring | searching for the middle of nowhere

Evening Visitors | searching for the middle of nowhere

Panamint Range | searching for the middle of nowhere

Doing Something Really Dumb | searching for the middle of nowhere

Rhyolite | searching for the middle of nowhere

Death Valley Exploring | searching for the middle of nowhere

Valley of Fire | searching for the middle of nowhere

Nevada and Going Home | searching for the middle of nowhere

Looks like a great trip, I am also looking forward to your next installments. Thanks for the info the bad road - life is too short to waste on slow, bad paths.
Tony

Love the second installment.

Keep 'em coming. The third chapter was very interesting. Regarding the hole -- I do think someone should write a book: "WTF of the western deserts." I would buy a copy!

I've had the trailer for about five years. The trailer is 15 years old. I think it is holding up pretty good. I had the axle flipped to give me better ground clearance. Plus I had the front tongue modified to fit two batteries. Maintenance issues have included:
  • The oven door glass broke while driving on an extreme washboard road.
  • The fill pipe to the water tank came loose once.
  • Two upper cabinet shaker style doors have required regluing.
  • The furnace doesn't work. I hope to fix it this summer. Mr. Buddy came on this trip.
  • A light stopped working and required replacement.
  • The plastic screen door handle has broken twice.
  • The fiberglass sides have scratches.
  • There is an infrequent leak over the door. I'll investigate this summer.
  • Fender issue. Read future blog post.

searching for nowhere said:
I've had the trailer for about five years. The trailer is 15 years old. I think it is holding up pretty good. I had the axle flipped to give me better ground clearance. Plus I had the front tongue modified to fit two batteries. Maintenance issues have included:
  • The furnace doesn't work. I hope to fix it this summer. Mr. Buddy came on this trip.
Thanks for the feedback. I've had a vintage Airstream for 16 years but am cautious about how far I take it off pavement. At times I consider picking up a smaller trailer for the backroads and am always interested in receiving input from those with real world experience.

searching for nowhere said:
Thanks for the feedback.

Your trip stories and photos were delightful! Thanks for taking us along with you to familiar places. Yes, at the mention of Titus Canyon Road we both chimed in with an, "Oh oh!" Friends recently also reported scat calling cards left on their step. Western Spotted Skunk was their identification. Thanks again! :)

Back
Top Bottom