Nacimiento Furgusson and South Coast Ridge Road Conditions

rich

Contributors
Hi Guys,

Thinking of taking a run out there this weekend or next but with all the rain and run off I'm wondering what condition the road is in and if it is still a muddy mess. Anyone been out there recently?

Hi Guys,

Thinking of taking a run out there this weekend or next but with all the rain and run off I'm wondering what condition the road is in and if it is still a muddy mess. Anyone been out there recently?

I was over Nacimiento Furgusson 3 weeks ago.At that time it was the only way to get to Big Sur.There was a lot of traffic on the road but now that the road at Rocky creek bridge is open to one lane traffic there will be little or no cars on that road.I think the campgrounds up there are open now.When I was there only part of the camps were open.They were waiting for the water system to be activated.The road was nice and clear.Maybe by now the river crossing in back of the mission that goes to the Indians campground will be open.It was closed due to high water.Hwy 1 from the south is still closed at Alder creek.Don't know which direction you are coming from but keep that in mind.Hwy 1south from Monterey to Nacimiento Furgusson is open.

Have a good trip

Frank

I was over Nacimiento Furgusson 3 weeks ago.At that time it was the only way to get to Big Sur.There was a lot of traffic on the road but now that the road at Rocky creek bridge is open to one lane traffic there will be little or no cars on that road.I think the campgrounds up there are open now.When I was there only part of the camps were open.They were waiting for the water system to be activated.The road was nice and clear.Maybe by now the river crossing in back of the mission that goes to the Indians campground will be open.It was closed due to high water.Hwy 1 from the south is still closed at Alder creek.Don't know which direction you are coming from but keep that in mind.Hwy 1south from Monterey to Nacimiento Furgusson is open.

Have a good trip

Frank

Thanks for the info Frank, that is really helpful. Did you venture onto the dirt on South Coast Ridge Rd?

Thanks for the info Frank, that is really helpful. Did you venture onto the dirt on South Coast Ridge Rd?

No I haven't done much boondocking there .There was a time when you could drive from Ft.Hunter Liggitt through Arroyo Seco rd.That was a nice trip and there are some nice camps along that road,but many years ago the feds closed the through road down.Now you can only enter at each end.You might check with 'sunman' about the roads around Plasket Ridge.I think he has camped there several times.

Frank

This is of great interest to me as it will be my next trip, please let us know what you find. You can call the King City Station and they should have all the info you need.

I called the King City Highway Patrol Station (don't know if that's what you were talking about) and they referred me to the Fort Hunter Ligget Federal Police and they said that Nacimiento Fergusson is opened and that South Coast Ridge Rd is opened but as to conditions he didn't know if it was muddy and rutted and tore up or not. They did say that Highway 1 south of Nacimiento Ferguson rd is still closed.

Actually I meant the King City Ranger Station (Los Padres Nat'l Forest):

MONTEREY
RANGER DISTRICT
406 S. Mildred St.
King City, CA 93930
VOICE: (831) 385-5434
FAX: (831) 385-0628
TTY/TDD: (831) 385-1189

Didn't realize PCH was closed SOUTH of Nacimiento/Fergusson, thought all thge trouble was north of Big Sur. Good to know.

Actually I meant the King City Ranger Station (Los Padres Nat'l Forest):

MONTEREY
RANGER DISTRICT
406 S. Mildred St.
King City, CA 93930
VOICE: (831) 385-5434
FAX: (831) 385-0628
TTY/TDD: (831) 385-1189

Didn't realize PCH was closed SOUTH of Nacimiento/Fergusson, thought all thge trouble was north of Big Sur. Good to know.

Ah well that was much more helpful. South Coast Ridge Rd is open and passable to stock four wheel drives taking some care. It is drying out but there are still some muddy patches and snow melt going on.

Thanks for the phone number Sunman.

Well the wife canned going all the way to Big Sur this weekend so it will have to wait, maybe next weekend. :)

Well the wife canned going all the way to Big Sur this weekend so it will have to wait, maybe next weekend. :)

I know how that works. My new nickname for the wife is She Who Must Be Obeyed ;)

We'll be hanging out on the Mokelumne this weekend if you want to try something closer. Leaving after work today so won't get there until dusk. Not sure where we are staying yet. I would like to at least check out the campgrounds but will probably boondock unless they are empty.

Finally got a 3 day weekend with the wife so we are actually going to go down to the Prewitt Ridge campsites. Do you have a good map source that you reccomend Sun Man

The Los Padres Nat'l Forest maps will show all campsites but the Benchmark CA. map will show the roads better, probably your best bet if you don't have one already. We had plans to go there last weekend but diverted to somewhere closer at the last minute otehrwise i'd have a report for you.

The Los Padres Nat'l Forest maps will show all campsites but the Benchmark CA. map will show the roads better, probably your best bet if you don't have one already. We had plans to go there last weekend but diverted to somewhere closer at the last minute otehrwise i'd have a report for you.

Thanks SunMan, I spoke to the guys at the rangers station down there and they said that the roads are clear, they highway one closure is at Alder Creek, 8 miles from the county line so that could effect you coming up from the south. He didn't know whether South Coast Ridge rd had been graded yet this year but said people have been going up there and seem to be coming back without incident. I am also going to try to find the route on old highway 1 that brings you down a dirt road on the side of the canyon looking at the Bixby bridge. Should be a fun trip.

I am also going to try to find the route on old highway 1 that brings you down a dirt road on the side of the canyon looking at the Bixby bridge. Should be a fun trip.

Yes, the Old Coast Road. Definitely worth the drive. Starts at Andrew Molera State Park to the south end or on north side of the Bixby Bridge. Have fun a post some pics por favor!

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4177/1071/1600/OldCoastRdMap.jpg

From my reading of the map it looks like the cleanest way out is to come back out of the camp loop up to s coast ridge rd and stay on it to los burros and take that to 1 - is that how you usually get out?

I also don't see any jury cans in your avitar so I assume it's a one tank trip?

From my reading of the map it looks like the cleanest way out is to come back out of the camp loop up to s coast ridge rd and stay on it to los burros and take that to 1 - is that how you usually get out?
It's quicker to go out the way you came in but the drive via Los Burros is well worth it, just takes longer to get to PCH, may as well do the loop while you are there. You should be fine on gas, worst case you suck it up and buy a few gallons in Big Sur but you should be fine.

I'm planning a trip down that way sometime in July. It will be dry by then. I have been checking all the maps and g roads and such. I think I found a way to start at Nacimiento/Fergusson and wind down all the way to Hearst Castle. I found no gates or the like, so I am going for it.

I'm planning a trip down that way sometime in July. It will be dry by then. I have been checking all the maps and g roads and such. I think I found a way to start at Nacimiento/Fergusson and wind down all the way to Hearst Castle. I found no gates or the like, so I am going for it.

Hey Saints,
I took a look at that route today. There was a good stretch of it in the bottom of a canyon with some steep rocky bits getting down and two stream crossings. Right now those stream crossings would be significant by July maybe not so bad but the steeps look like a bit more than I wanted to get into. Have fun and post some pics I'd like to see what that route is like.

Back
Top Bottom