Nature walk around the farm

WjColdWater

Plenty of time to kill here in IL. virus cases still rising here. Thought I would share some nature observations on a walk today. Birds are going crazy here with nesting pairs and migratory birds stoping by in numbers. Carol and I spend each morning coffee clutching and enjoying the show to brighten our day. We are blessed to be retired and have a wonderful place to be sequestered in place. I may have to get serious about purchasing a nice camera for better pics. Now a iPhone 11 is the only tool I have to capture images. Hope you all enjoy a midwest version of nature in motion.
61610-D6-A-C99-B-40-C8-A574-4-F504-D49-F639.jpg

Basement ground water and water softener are discharged to this riser in our waterway. Whitetail deer love the salt residue. Wasps, bees, amphibians, birds use the mud and water for their use as well.
03-C38-C30-6-DAB-4644-A8-A8-B73-D70-B1-D83-F.jpg

Youg of the year bunnies hanging out.
4-ADD3585-86-E3-4048-9-CC9-DCB87-A2-B2-F7-B.jpg

These guys are very special to see.
43-A3-E5-BC-D187-43-C7-B34-B-7-D233397875-D.jpg

Slate Colored Junco chicks are growing quickly.
A489-E7-FD-1-A98-44-F3-BC0-F-434176496481.jpg

Rose-breasted grosbeaks are here in numbers along with White capped sparrows.
4-DAABE2-D-2-E0-C-4-D5-F-8192-7-DF47187-C93-A.jpg

Two species of orioles Baltimore and Orchard are on there way north. Some will stay but, most keep traveling all the way to Canada.
AB1-E8-D6-F-3344-442-B-A664-46-E99851-D5-C9.jpg

Male Rudy throats are here no females yet.
F7863-E2-C-87-AF-4964-8-FA6-EACFC6066-FC3.jpg

Nesting birds are busy. Brown Thrasher or Wood Thrush in a spruce.
A778-AD4-F-1270-4-B1-E-B66-A-6-A5-B3-BCAADC6.jpg

This is the first for me, I’ve read about this but, have never witnessed it. This is a House Finch nest (small blue eggs) with a single Brown Headed Cowbird egg in the nest. It’s larger and white with brown speckles in color. Cowbirds are “predatory nesters” they use other birds nests to lay their eggs in. The host nesters incubate and raise the chick as their own. The Cowbird chick will eventually eject the host chicks from the nest. Nature is efficient and can be cruel. I hope you all are finding some activities to keep your spirits up in these trying times.
Wayne, Carol and Paige

I remember watching a young Cowbird doing the "feed me" routine while chasing a western tanager. We named the cowbird Baby Huey.

Am I a bad person because I see a pheasant and think of white wine and mushrooms?

teledork said:
<snip>

Am I a bad person because I see a pheasant and think of white wine and mushrooms?
Since they are a non native bird introduced into North America precisely for that reason, have at it! :)

ski3pin said:
Since they are a non native bird introduced into North America precisely for that reason, have at it! :)
Yup. Just had to chew carefully (and now that I think about it - that was lead shot, wasn't it :oops: )

On our morning walk we always stop at a large palm to check out the Barn Owls.
For years we haven't been able to catch a view of the baby's.
This year we must be watching at the right time.There are 3 in the nest ,just one poking it's head up today.

Also we watch the hawks their nests are harder to spot. This one was searching for food and I thing it had raided a jay nest.

So much nature all around us.
Frank

DSCN0179.jpeg
Barn Owl

DSCN0171.jpeg
Not sure what hawk this is.Cooper maybe/Red Shoulder?

teledork said:
I remember watching a young Cowbird doing the "feed me" routine while chasing a western tanager. We named the cowbird Baby Huey.

Back in my hunting days I would say yum!

ski3pin said:
Yes a introduced bird but there are beautiful to see. :rolleyes:

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
On our morning walk we always stop at a large palm to check out the Barn Owls.
For years we haven't been able to catch a view of the baby's.
This year we must be watching at the right time.There are 3 in the nest ,just one poking it's head up today.

Also we watch the hawks their nests are harder to spot. This one was searching for food and I thing it had raided a jay nest.

So much nature all around us.
Frank

attachicon.gif
DSCN0179.jpeg
Barn Owl

attachicon.gif
DSCN0171.jpeg
Not sure what hawk this is.Cooper maybe/Red Shoulder?

Great pics! Thinking Coopers on the Hawk.

Thanks that was my thought on the hawk.
We have several different hawks around,Red tail,Red shoulder and the Coopers.
The Coopers seem to be very shy and their nests are very hard to fine.
We have lucked out and have seen them flying and happened to be going to nest.
Great fun to watch.
Also watching a Barn Owl nest with at least 3 chicks.
Enjoying nature.
Frank

It makes us feel more complete watching nature's life cycles and wildlife around us. How can people go without this connection? How sad so few are even aware.

Thanks all for the photos and all the reconnects! :)

Nice stuff Frank and so good to see the ocean! I could hear the surf and gulls while viewing your photos. So nice for you it is quiet with few people, the opposite of here. People are rushing in. Traffic is awful. It is crazy.

Back
Top Bottom