Need Help With Decisions On New Camper

I tent camped for years and used the Zodi shower, portable heaters, ice chests, etc. The whole reason I bought a camper was for a step up from tent camping. The hot water, outside shower, forced air furnace and refrigerator/freezer make camping in remote areas seem luxurious.

LOL Durango Steve...... the fan noise doesn't bother me...

but the inside john.....um....dat just ain't happenin'!!! (even with 2 fantastic fans)

yes...we all roll differently!

have fun out there

mtn

LOL Durango Steve...... the fan noise doesn't bother me...

but the inside john.....um....dat just ain't happenin'!!! (even with 2 fantastic fans)

yes...we all roll differently!

have fun out there

mtn

Trust me, the toilet will be limited to the wife's nighttime liquid input. Me? I'm an outside kinda guy. I cannot imagine solid input in that tight space. It's a camper, not an outhouse on wheels!

Hot water would be deluxe, but I'm leaning toward this Zodi shower unit for longer trips when the funk buildup would be greater than the usual weekend mini-expedition. Otherwise, cold water and WetOnes is totally adequate for us. http://www.amazon.com/Zodi-Showers-Water-Heaters-Extreme/dp/B000RYWQP6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1257090514&sr=8-1

DurangoSteve, that is the Zodi shower I have. I have found that it is just as easy to heat the shower water on the camper's stove, and I haven't wound up carrying the stove that comes with it. It is a nice shower, but I think you could get pretty much the same functionality for a lot less $$ by modifying a garden sprayer. Cover it with insulation, add a shower head and valve to the hose, and heat your water in a pot on the stove.

Just another possibility to consider. If you get the Zodi, also consider getting an extra shower head or two. They are easy to step on.

DurangoSteve, that is the Zodi shower I have. I have found that it is just as easy to heat the shower water on the camper's stove, and I haven't wound up carrying the stove that comes with it. It is a nice shower, but I think you could get pretty much the same functionality for a lot less $$ by modifying a garden sprayer. Cover it with insulation, add a shower head and valve to the hose, and heat your water in a pot on the stove.

Just another possibility to consider. If you get the Zodi, also consider getting an extra shower head or two. They are easy to step on.

The Zodis are pretty pricey. I like the garden sprayer idea. Gonna have to investigate that angle. Thanks for the suggestion!

Does anyone use the ice box? Seems like everybody thinks they are junk.

It's pretty cheap. I doubled the insulation on all five sides plus the door, so now it keeps stuff cold for a couple of days even in summer. I'm thinking about getting a small Engel to make ice for it.

I used it because it was convenient to throw a six pac and some ice in the thing and hit the road. After many trips I realized that the space it used compared to the amount of food it kept cold was ridiculous. I just use a coleman extreme cooler now but would like to try an Engel sometime.

I use mine for storage only, and am about to take it out for the extra pantry space. I have an Engel 45 I use in freezer mode to make Ice for the cooler and keep frozen foods. For a cooler, I also use a Coleman Extreme.

I am new to the forum and have been reading old posts for what seems like days now. I thought I had my mind made up on a hawk,(was also considering a panther) with the basic components, heater and fridge. Now, it seems like I am reading all kinds of complaints about both the heater and the fridge. Is the heater that loud? I will be winter camping (from Idaho), and have read about the olympian heater. I also like the idea of no battery use with this option. Will FWC or ATC install these? Will they plumb the lines so you could hang it yourself? The other question I have, and this shows what I don't know, is the fridge. If you were to get an Engel,this would obviously have to run the whole time off of the battery. Can the battery in the camper charge from your truck when it is running? Will the solar panel keep up with the Engel if you were to go that route? I appreciate all of the help. Thanks.

hello guidewater.i'am new to this forum also.i ordered a ATC on 13 oct.the main reason to choose that over FWC was the extended cab at no extra cost,plus its 4" wider.as it lets us sleep across the cab and not mess with the slide out.we can leave the extra bed cushions at home and save space.i have the,heater,fridge water pump,fantastic far and extra battery.with solar wiring for the future.also the dinette was a must.you might check out that in other threads.good luck with your choice.frank

I don't feel the heater, when working properly, is too loud. Mine, however, squeaks like a rabid weasel and it will even wake me up at night.

I wish there was a furnace without a fan (such a small space anyway) that was vented outside.

My furnace had been squawking quite a bit and I had taken off the covers to lube it before. This time when opening it up it seemed to be missing a small fastener in the upper left corner that seemed to hold the unit up and level, there was a fastener on the upper right. I screwed in a sheet metal screw which leveled things out and testing it the intermittent squealing seems to have disappeared. Hope that shut it up but time will tell. If yours squeals take a look inside the swing out cover and see if it fits in right.

Thanks for all the $$$ you guys are saving me on a new camper purchase. Good to know about the noisy heater or other options seldom used. Is the extended cab bed very comfortable?

The one in our Bobcat is certainly comfortable. 4" foam pads make it soft enough without being too soft. We have enough room to sleep two without getting in each other's way.

For the last 30 something years of camping, I just heat a pot of hot water on the stove and pour it over my head. I am a "KISS" kind of guy. Why carry all that extra stuff around?

For the last 30 something years of camping, I just heat a pot of hot water on the stove and pour it over my head. I am a "KISS" kind of guy. Why carry all that extra stuff around?

It's a two gallon water container with a spray attachment. I find it useful for more than showers. To each their own.

The bed in my ATC (w/ 4 inch foam?) is comfortable enough for me.

The heater makes noise when it comes on, it was annoying the first few trips, but worth it for us: the little guy won't sleep in a bag.

The bed in my ATC (w/ 4 inch foam?) is comfortable enough for me.

The heater makes noise when it comes on, it was annoying the first few trips, but worth it for us: the little guy won't sleep in a bag.

Try him in a box? :D

Back
Top Bottom