Need info on sales tax for new purchase

Andy Douglass

We are close to ordering our new FWC and with planning the finances, I just realized that I hadn't thought of sales tax.

We have an email into FWC for specifics, but we wanted to know what other people have experienced or done, especially California residents.

With 8.25% sales tax, we would be looking at paying almost $3k in tax. With Nevada just up the road from FWC, has anyone gone the route of taking delivery there?

I don't think FWC will deliver you your camper, you pick it up at either the factory or the dealer you bought it from. They mention this in their FAQ. Also wouldn't you want the sales tax to go to the state you actually live in?

rando said:
I don't think FWC will deliver you your camper, you pick it up at either the factory or the dealer you bought it from. They mention this in their FAQ. Also wouldn't you want the sales tax to go to the state you actually live in?
With NV and OR not charging any sales tax, it's an easy answer for me. I have lived in CA my whole life (41 years) and they have overtaxed me enough, so I have no ethical problem with trying to minimize the money the state takes and mismanages. Can't wait to join the California exodus, and the FWC will help us do that.

Andy Douglass said:
With NV and OR not charging any sales tax, it's an easy answer for me. I have lived in CA my whole life (41 years) and they have overtaxed me enough, so I have no ethical problem with trying to minimize the money the state takes and mismanages. Can't wait to join the California exodus, and the FWC will help us do that.
American RV company is FWC's dealer and has an office in Oregon. tel 877-3949635

pollux said:
American RV company is FWC's dealer and has an office in Oregon. tel 877-3949635
Thanks. I sent them an email yesterday. I was not sure if you could order an FWC from them, or if they just sold the ones they have on the lot.

I understand the dealer network idea, but FWC cannot tell you where to buy your camper. Andy, I understand completely about getting taxed/regulated to death in "The Peoples Republic of California", but if your 8.25% sales tax obligation is $3k then the sales price is $36k. And you think the tax is overpriced?

cwd

cwdtmmrs said:
I understand the dealer network idea, but FWC cannot tell you where to buy your camper. Andy, I understand completely about getting taxed/regulated to death in "The Peoples Republic of California", but if your 8.25% sales tax obligation is $3k then the sales price is $36k. And you think the tax is overpriced?

cwd
I miscalculated....tax would be around 2300 at 8.25%. Which is about $2299 more than I want to give to CA.

Before committing to an out of state purchase, verify if you must pay sales tax when registering camper in your state. IIRC, Washimgton (sales tax state) charges a tax on vehicles purchased in Oregon (no sales tax state) when the vehicle is brought into the state. In other words, they get the tax anyway and there may be other costs to an interstate transaction.

Caveat emptor is a good rule.

Paul

We ordered from the dealer in Wisconsin to avoid the California tax if we went all the way out to the west coast to pick it up. The shipping was the only thing that was the big cost, approx. $1K. Indiana doesn't plate our camper and I don't pay taxes on it. jd

Hmmm....if the sales tax is an issue, I would wonder if the out-the-door price in Oregon would allow the dealer there to make a few bucks on the deal after he paid to ship it to Oregon?

Simple math tells me if the tax is 8.25% and that works out to about $2300 then your cost is in the range of $27,500 give or take. If a dealer gets a 3% markup after the shipping costs are paid ($1000.00?) then he's gonna charge you the $27,500 plus the shipping of $1,000 plus a 3% markup of $825....totaling $29,325.00 and you have to go pick it up and pay your fuel, lodging etc, for two days on the road.

Or...pay the piper in CA the $27,500 plus $2,300 in taxes totaling $29,800.

Going to Oregon to purchase it would save you about $475 less the cost of fuel and a motel and meals....

So...find out what numbers the dealer in Oregon is talking about FIRST and unless you life on the Oregon border that might not be the cheapest solution in the long run. In addition, if there are any problems I think the factory would be the place to sort them out, not while you sit in a motel watching TV...

Unless the dealer is willing to give you a discount the additional costs of going to Oregon might just eat up the savings in sales taxes!

PS...if you took delivery in Oregon, might they not want to register and plate your FWC if that is the law in that state? You should look into that as well...

When I bought my Chaser trailer in Arizona I didn't pay AZ sales tax but had to pay GA sales tax to get a plate. I think the law there is either you have to show a sales tax receipt from where you bought it or pay sales tax there. They don't require tags or even a title on a camper as small as a FWC, though.

I don't know if they still do it but didn't ATC have a thing where deliver the camper and meet the owner at a rest area in Oregon and install the camper in the pu truck right there is the rest area?

I think at this point, we are just going to keep it simple. The further I get into this, the more complicated it gets, so we will probably just pay the overlords their due.

I live in CA and I bought a brand new Lance in Arizona. The dealership is used to doing "out of state" deliveries. When we drove out to get the camper, I signed some of the paperwork at the dealership. After that, we followed a dealer rep a few miles down the road, across the border to finalize the transaction with a notary. Easy and painless. And saves a TON of money

Back
Top Bottom