need more info on 2012 phoenix

tree

had my eye on a 2015 FWC hawk shell that was a show demo. it sold before I culd get my deposit. been looking at FWC hawks for 2 years. getting very close at the chance to afford/make a camper purchase. but now the wait is 16 weeks at FWC. the used ones last 2 to 3 days tops on craigslist. and tha add any decent options sure make the price jump. anyways I found a used 2012 phoenix pop up local to me. was 14k, now its 10K dude said 9500 out the door is lowest. I hear that phoenix designed/owned FWC before? then sold the name. now tom tom FWC. great guy by the way. this phoenix has some nice options, side awning, fridge, fiberglass, fridge, ac, microwave, solar, side dinette ect. id rather have a heater, and not need a generator. looks like it had a roof leak in the corner. I cant find info on this rig. a model, build cost, prices ect? cari from phoenix did offer a build. but no pricing yet. should I jump on this unit? I can stand up in the hawk. I am 6 foot 6, and have agmc crewcab 6.5 bed. any ideas?

You will find a wild variety of opinions on Phoenix campers. If ya want to read them all check out this Expo thread HERE. (You might as well read it. Everyone else already has with over 400 posts and 118,000 views!) :)

I feel your pain on the used FWC availability conundrum. That is why we eventually went ahead and bought a new FWC.

And yes, a common problem with the Phoenix campers has been leaking roofs. Even though I am "handy" with tools (I'm currently re-doing the inside of a brand new Hawk Flat Bed camper and yes, I know that is stupid.) I eventually got cold feet on buying from Phoenix and went with FWC.

I love a good drama on TV. But I just don't want drama 50 miles from the closest blacktop and my two different FWC hawks have been bombproof. (And they haven't leaked a drop.)

You will find a wild variety of opinions on Phoenix campers. If ya want to read them all check out this Expo thread HERE. (You might as well read it. Everyone else already has with over 400 posts and 118,000 views!) :)

I feel your pain on the used FWC availability conundrum. That is why we eventually went ahead and bought a new FWC.

And yes, a common problem with the Phoenix campers has been leaking roofs. Even though I am "handy" with tools (I'm currently re-doing the inside of a brand new Hawk Flat Bed camper and yes, I know that is stupid.) I eventually got cold feet on buying from Phoenix and went with FWC.

I love a good drama on TV. But I just don't want drama 50 miles from the closest blacktop and my two different FWC hawks have been bombproof. (And they haven't leaked a drop.)
im thinking new hawk. worth the wait for sure. maybe I can rent while I wait. we actually have a local FWC dealer in town. I have been there several times. they call me their stalker. LOL thanks for the info. the phoenix seemed rough for 10K

tree said:
im thinking new hawk. worth the wait for sure. maybe I can rent while I wait. we actually have a local FWC dealer in town. I have been there several times. they call me their stalker. LOL thanks for the info. the phoenix seemed rough for 10K
Smart. Meanwhile you can be tricking out your truck. And if you tent camp this summer you will super appreciate your new Hawk!

Be sure to get this group's suggestions on what options to order on your Hawk. (I even have a "few thoughts"!) :).

nice. well the hawk demo I almost bought was a silver spur shell, had heater, stove, side dinette. so if I start fresh, im thinking heater, awning, ac option??? LED exterior lighting (flood lights) I pull a trailer with a utv on it. yes tent camping sucks. I have a bad back. last season I slept in my crewcab with a twin air mattress. and im 6 foot 7, LOL

Durango1 said:

holy crap I just read post on that 2012 phoenix. leak city ehh? same with the one I found. leak/mold?? water damage.

full

this concerns me. look in left corner. even seen silicon on roof where a leak was sealed? owner says canvas is newish. I don't see that it could be new

I have a 2011 8.5 ft Phoenix pop-up with arctic package (2 layers of thinsulate knock off sandwiched between 2 layers of fabric) with no roof leaks. Purchased new and custom built with lots of extra insulation (mostly 2" polystyrene everywhere), 2 20lb propane tanks, Honda generator, 16k btu furnace with a duct into the shower stall. I mostly use it to stay in ski area parking lots.

I don't think that the fit and finish is equal to FWC but I did get a fully custom camper for about $1000-$1200 more than a Grandby.

We own an age indeterminate Phoenix. The sticker with all of that info has faded past legibility. It has had it's issues, but they've all been surmountable. Currently weighing whether to go 2 way fridge and dump the ineffective 3way (yes, I've cleaned the burner). Ours has some insulation between the inner and outer fabric skins of the soft top. I've no idea if that is normal or not.

When I called Phoenix they weren't very interested in helping me. When I talked to them at Expo '14 they were willing to talk to me, but weren't much help.

Faced with building one ourselves vs. buying a Phoenix the decision was easy.

So far the only roof leaks have been from tired vent sealant and the stupid thru-bolted hard mount bolts that I thought I could actually employ in holding something on the roof. I know better now, those will be replaced with sex bolts (to plug the holes) and sealed with 3M 5200.

My Phoenix was built using a cheap adhesive/sealant and some of the interior plastic molding needed to be re-glued. The step hand rail was bolted into the siding and pulled out. Easy fix was to just bolt it through the wall.

I like the sturdy roof raising mechanism but it is not designed to accept lifter shocks so mounting heavy solar panels on the roof probably won't work. The design does make it easy to get the snow off the raised roof with a snow rake, once the roof is lowered on one side.

ntsqd said:
We own an age indeterminate Phoenix. The sticker with all of that info has faded past legibility. It has had it's issues, but they've all been surmountable. Currently weighing whether to go 2 way fridge and dump the ineffective 3way (yes, I've cleaned the burner). Ours has some insulation between the inner and outer fabric skins of the soft top. I've no idea if that is normal or not.

When I called Phoenix they weren't very interested in helping me. When I talked to them at Expo '14 they were willing to talk to me, but weren't much help.

Faced with building one ourselves vs. buying a Phoenix the decision was easy.

So far the only roof leaks have been from tired vent sealant and the stupid thru-bolted hard mount bolts that I thought I could actually employ in holding something on the roof. I know better now, those will be replaced with sex bolts (to plug the holes) and sealed with 3M 5200.
same here, I tried to get interior height info, but they were more interested in starting a build for me. LOL when I have cash in hand I will weigh if this unit is still available vs. how many weeks the wait is for the FWC hawk.

found more info on the phoenix. seems to be a pulse model. looks like im still going with a new hawk time and money permitting.

yep. the phoenix sold, even with its leaks and appliance issues. so I ordered a hawk shell with some options. now onto the 16 week wait. LOL did see 3 hawks last week on craigslist, 2 sold by the weekend. only 1 left but its too short. its the kestrel model.

Back
Top Bottom