Nevada Calls

searching for nowhere

I'm exploring Nevada. Here is my first blog post. More will come someday. I'm still exploring yet with limited internet connect.

Note: New blogs post added.

Nevada Calls | searching for the middle of nowhere

Petroglyphs and Pictographs Oh My Oh My | searching for the middle of nowhere

Catch-all Calienta | searching for the middle of nowhere

Tramping Around Tonopah | searching for the middle of nowhere

Mina, Nevada | searching for the middle of nowhere

Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest | searching for the middle of nowhere

Grimes Point Area | searching for the middle of nowhere

Stopping in Oregon | searching for the middle of nowhere

I am happy to report that I have not seen any of the sights I've visited over used and full of litter. To help keep things that way I have not included the names of the sites I've visited. However, active long-term members of Wander the West can feel free to send me a message requesting more information. Responses may take a bit of time while I am exploring.

thanks for the trip report. i love Nevada and that area is one i have not spent any time in except for driving through usually for work. now have some good reasons to explore that area

Thanks for sharing your travels -- I think I would have walked past that old rusty no trespassing sign. Seems like an abandoned site. Looking forward to your next posts.

Ski3pin: I hadn't planned on traveling to the Owens Valley so I hadn't done any research. I was a bit dismayed with what I found - all the comforts of civilization, not what I had anticipated. Gorgeous country but I couldn't get over the fact that Hwy 395 is a four lane road. After I left I found your Nov 2021 blog post on visiting the Owens Valley. Maybe I'll give the area a try in the future.

I wonder if the peculiar shade of green at Green Mountain is because of the rock being an intrusive or extrusive intermediate lava, called andesite in the old nomenclature. Andesitic igneous rocks are roughly between granitic/rhyolitic and gabbro/basaltic in overall iron/magnesium mineral content, and as such are often light grayish green rather than mostly white/buff or dark green/black. The more zoomed out picture looks like a "neck" or plug of intrusive rock representing the pipe-like vent, now exposed due to erosion of the surrounding less resistant flows and tuffs.

Nice pics!

Foy

Foy: Thanks for your comments and thoughts. I think you should go visit it and let me know your thoughts. ha ha :) If you want to dive into the details, I've circled the "mountain" with a blue circle and included a link to the geology map and text. I'm 99% sure the location is correct because I used my InReach to locate it. I find it interesting that there is no specific mention of it (that I understand) in the text when it is very prominent in the landscape. I brought some rock home. In looking at them I see small (1/64th") rounded white specks. I don't see any grains in the green that would make me think of something like a sandstone. Keep in mind I'm not a geologist, I'm just fascinated by geology.

Geologic map of the Lahontan Mountains quadrangle, Churchill County, Nevada (second edition) [MAP AND TEXT] (unr.edu)

Can you tell I've never learned how to add a photo to a post. I'm giving this a try. Fingers crossed.

full

Back
Top Bottom