Nevada's Great Basin

<snip> Sounds like the Table is close enough to the trail-head that a late photo session and hike back in the dark would not too difficult...
<snip>

We'd do it. The switch backs down from the Table are steep - we only seem to notice this on the way down - but along the canyon bottom comfortable and the pull back up to the trailhead is easy.

There is no water (now) in Big Creek. There is a spring coming out of the bottom of a large talus pile part way up the switch backs to the Table.

Do you like to hear Wapiti bugle? :)

Now, all I need to do is try and re-unite our epic washout/rescue gang (from 95) together for another attempt, MarkBC and the elusive Fogg.

I'm game!

Thanks ski3pin. I did not want to hijack your great TR thread. I'll post this pic and it seems like MarkBC covered this one in some other story/thread a while back.

gallery_2596_386_233922.jpg

This isn't a hijack but-----Say you guys may want to watch that new discovery chan. program this Sunday called One Car to Far :LOL:; it's followed by a new Les Stroud Survivor program -never can tell when you may need more "Unstuck" advice.

:LOL:Smoke

Nice report and pictures...IMHO it would be better for a thousand people to see a great work of art, than only one. Vandal or mother nature...either way it's not going to last for ever. I don't agree with keeping rock art secret. Although I post pictures - I only give the general location. Searching for it is like a treasure hunt. Also the harder it is to get to the less likely it will be vandalized. Hickison Summit petroglyphs is right off hwy 50 in a camp ground. There is some vandalism but not too bad.

Great trip report. I was at the Wheeler Peak campground the same time as you. We came in late Monday the 6th of August and pulled out on Wednesday the 8th. It was a beautiful place, but the smoke put a damper on the views.

Great trip report. I was at the Wheeler Peak campground the same time as you. We came in late Monday the 6th of August and pulled out on Wednesday the 8th. It was a beautiful place, but the smoke put a damper on the views.

JC, you should have hung around a couple more days. The rain washed all the smoke away. We pulled into the campground late morning on Wednesday.Were you still there? It is a great place to visit.

It is a great place to visit.

Indeed! GBNP is a very special place for me...
...especially mid-winter when there's nobody else there and only Lower Lehman is open. I've been the only person camped in the Park several times on winter trips.
But I wouldn't mind some company...join me there some time, late December, early January. :)

Back
Top Bottom