New 15 Hawk

Umtduckhead

Pretty pumped.. My wife and I have been working with Denny in JHFWC and purchase a new 15 Hawk to be picked up in sept. :D Just in time for elk season.. We are beyond excited and fired up to have a nice place to crash while on the hunt..

Big question.... What will we need for the camper? We are new to this..

The camper will be going in a new F250 short bed... Went ahead and linex the bed and installed a titian fuel tank. I loaded the bed down yesterday with 1500lb of feed to get an idea of the squat the hawk may cause.. I am pretty sure i am going to add airbags.

Obviously, a hose and inline filter to fill the water tank.. leveling boards for level sleeping.. random tools...

Any advise is much appreciated.. Thank you

Congratualtions!

I'm sure you will enjoy the outings the Hawk will enable.

I level the truck with blocks, not the bed I sleep in. Leveling blocks are avaialbe at most RV centers, Amazon and even some Walmarts. The Walmarts one's don't hold up too well with the wieght of a Hawk and Super Duty!

Purchase a BPA free hose (the white variety) at any Lowes or Home Depot. I've never used a filter and have not become ill due to any water borne bugs from various state park and commercial water suppliers. I do have a inline water psi regulator for attaching to city water and camper fitting but haven't used it. Purchased the regulator from etrialer.com.

Read up on sanitizing the water tanks. Info is in the owner's manual pdf file on the FWC web site.

Did you opt for the termal pack? Well worth the investment IMO. Greatly reduces propane consumption when cold and running the furnace. Also, keeps the camper a bit cooler on hot summer days.

Congratualtions again!

Umtduckhead said:
Pretty pumped.. My wife and I have been working with Denny in JHFWC and purchase a new 15 Hawk to be picked up in sept. :D
You are in good company! I just pulled the trigger with Denny yesterday on a new Hawk Flatbed model to be delivered (hopefully) in October! (Now if I could just find a reliable aluminum FB manufacturer that wasn't 1200 miles away!)

Anyway, one thing I recently added on our 2012 slide-in Hawk (which will be for sale in a few months) is these Tork-lift steps. (For our 2500 Ram the four step model works well.) I had always poo-pooed them but they are so much better than the traditional 2 step (and very tippy) plastic ladder most of us use. And the missus is much happier.

You will really like your Hawk.

Congrats. The hardest part is the wait. Ordered my in Jan and got it in April. I use left over 2X6s for leveling. I store them in the cubby access ports for the turnbuckles.

You should look at steps for getting in and out of the camper. Getting out in the most challenging part as don't you see what you are step down into especially if you are in a rush.

I used a ez fold step stool, hitch cargo and Aluminum step/work bench. By far the aluminum step is the most solid. I have this one, paid $20 for it at home depot during black Friday:

http://www.sears.com/gorilla-ladder-aluminum-work-bench/p-SPM11296369815

I'm sure you can find it for cheaper. Only draw back is it does take up a bit of space when in transit.

Also get this bag for grey water:

http://www.amazon.com/Zebra-RV-7701-Covered-Bucket/dp/B008XKGLS4

Add a second battery if you can.

Jim

You should consider ordering the Ready to Go Package. You get a short white hose, adaptor gauge for city water, full propane tanks. Get the checkbook out.........folding shovel, sleeping bags, camping coffee french press, grill, utensils, plates (we use paper plates on a heavy plastic plate, cookware, bowls, measuring cups, paper towl holder, tissues, toilet paper, flash lights (we have several types: headband, clip on for the bed area, special aluminum grade very brite, lanterns), We bought a 2 step that fits in the trailer hitch. I bought a small portable AC unit for use when we camp with shore power and a portable water softener I use to fill up before we leave. If I'm going for more than a week I take it with me, but it is heavy. 2 small soft boxes that we store food stuff we take with us, first aid kit, tick remover, snake bite kit. Engle Deep Blue Cooler kept in the truck and stocked with cold beer, folding chairs, small folding table(s), I installed Marine hypervent under the matress. I pulled the bed extension out and hyper vent is installed flush with the 1/2" extension. When I close the bed I just lift the matress and hypervent and push the extension back. The hypervent takes the 1/2" height difference away making the matress even.

You might want to consider a Spot Tracker or Delormoe if you are going to be boondocking to keep in touch with family. We have a 7 gallon container with special connector to the cap for the gray water. I think it is made by Reliable.

We have 2 batteries with 100W Zamp solar and just purchased a Zamp 80W portable for the plug-in on the back of the camper. We have a porta-potti Curve that stores in the back cabinet, 2 burner stove, 80L fridge, 8' side awning, rear awning, rear spot lights, glass top over stove and pull-out faucet.

http://www.portablewatersoftener.com/
http://www.campingsurvival.com/inandsnakbit.html
https://www.eva-dry.com/dehumidifiers/eva-dry-500-mini-dehumidifier/
http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/parasites/gr/Tick-Twister.htm
http://www.hyperventmarine.com/

If you go to my blog you will see someother items that we added.

Good luck.,

Longhorn

Congrats Durango1.. We are beyond excited...

Thanks for the input.... Heres what we ordered..

-Basic shell
-Front dinette
-Silver spur
-2 way fridge
-Rear and side awnings
-LED lights
-180 watt solar panels
-Jacks
-Extra roof vent
-Outside shower and water heater
-Exterior gas struts
-2nd battery
-Thermal Pack
-Furnace
-Flush mount sink
-Rear ladder ....ETC

Did we miss anything?

I was reading on another camper website that people recommend an inline water filter just to be safe from dirt coming out of the spigot and into the tank.

The airbags were to just give my truck a level ride and not be squatty on the trails etc.

-Do you all keep extension cords or extra plugs for shore power?

longhorn1 said:
You should consider ordering the Ready to Go Package. You get a short white hose, adaptor gauge for city water, full propane tanks. Get the checkbook out.........folding shovel, sleeping bags, camping coffee french press, grill, utensils, plates (we use paper plates on a heavy plastic plate, cookware, bowls, measuring cups, paper towl holder, tissues, toilet paper, flash lights (we have several types: headband, clip on for the bed area, special aluminum grade very brite, lanterns), We bought a 2 step that fits in the trailer hitch. I bought a small portable AC unit for use when we camp with shore power and a portable water softener I use to fill up before we leave. If I'm going for more than a week I take it with me, but it is heavy. 2 small soft boxes that we store food stuff we take with us, first aid kit, tick remover, snake bite kit. Engle Deep Blue Cooler kept in the truck and stocked with cold beer, folding chairs, small folding table(s), I installed Marine hypervent under the matress. I pulled the bed extension out and hyper vent is installed flush with the 1/2" extension. When I close the bed I just lift the matress and hypervent and push the extension back. The hypervent takes the 1/2" height difference away making the matress even.

You might want to consider a Spot Tracker or Delormoe if you are going to be boondocking to keep in touch with family. We have a 7 gallon container with special connector to the cap for the gray water. I think it is made by Reliable.

We have 2 batteries with 100W Zamp solar and just purchased a Zamp 80W portable for the plug-in on the back of the camper. We have a porta-potti Curve that stores in the back cabinet, 2 burner stove, 80L fridge, 8' side awning, rear awning, rear spot lights, glass top over stove and pull-out faucet.

http://www.portablewatersoftener.com/
http://www.campingsurvival.com/inandsnakbit.html
https://www.eva-dry.com/dehumidifiers/eva-dry-500-mini-dehumidifier/
http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/parasites/gr/Tick-Twister.htm
http://www.hyperventmarine.com/

If you go to my blog you will see someother items that we added.

Good luck.,

Longhorn
Good stuff Longhorn. Really appreciate the advise. Love the idea of a water softener. We have all the tick meds and tools, as they are awful here in Delaware. We use a spot for hunting, so we can check that off the list. The under the bed mat is a great idea. Without this mat have you experienced a lot of condensation? Dehumidifiers are a great idea as well. thank you

Umtduckhead said:
Good stuff Longhorn. Really appreciate the advise. Love the idea of a water softener. We have all the tick meds and tools, as they are awful here in Delaware. We use a spot for hunting, so we can check that off the list. The under the bed mat is a great idea. Without this mat have you experienced a lot of condensation? Dehumidifiers are a great idea as well. thank you
I put the marine hypervent in immediately after picking up the camper. I haven't experienced any condensation under the matress. Only on the ceiling in cold weather, which I just wipe off with a towel.

longhorn1 said:
I put the marine hypervent in immediately after picking up the camper. I haven't experienced any condensation under the matress. Only on the ceiling in cold weather, which I just wipe off with a towel.
Great. Whats your opinion on a rubber mat in the bed of the truck for the camper to sit on?

Umtduckhead said:
Great. Whats your opinion on a rubber mat in the bed of the truck for the camper to sit on?
We put a heavy duty 1/4" rubber cargo mat under ours. the theory is it makes the camper a bit quieter over the road and helps to prevent moving around. Can't say it is "the answer" but our camper is quiet and doesn't move!

One suggestions would be to look into the inside shower option. My better half found that INVARIABLY a brisk breeze would come up while she was outside showering. I modified my Hawk into having an inside shower and all is well again.

Steve

The biggest no-two-ways about it problem to solve for the very first trip (even if it is just home to get outfitted) is the steps. If you can't get in or out safely you will not have a good time anywhere, anyhow. The good news is that you can "audition" steps ahead of time simply by taking the tailgate off your truck and looking for a solution that gets you into and out of the bed. Remember you will have a handle on the outside of the Hawk as well as the door frame itself for support as required. I don't have a solution since we use a 2 step steel step stool we got as a wedding present many some years ago and I travel in fear that it will go missing and we will have to figure out something else.

Congratulations and savor the wait.

Alan

I've never needed my hose to fill my tank. I just don't camp at places that have water. I did add an extension cord but I've only used it one time. If I made a list:

Spatula
Paper Towels
Toilet Paper
Tape
Cups
Plates

Mostly just go. You'll soon figure out whats important for you. Oh, and a Jacket. I forgot that once and it was kinda chilly without it ;)

Wandering Sagebrush said:
30 amp to 15 amp adapter (aka Dogbone) for RV parks.
Forgot about that. I have a 30 to 30 extension cord and a 30 to 50 dogbone. I also bought a surge protector for the 30 amp.

Great suggestions. 1/4 rubber Mat added to the list. As far as steps go, I am thinking at this point I will have a cargo carrier holding a big yeti on it for meat. So, we will have to figure it out when we get there. Luckily, we are young and able at this point. Haha

How many people cook inside? Your cook or do you just heat up water and coffee.

Our first trip in the camper will last about a month. We will grow to know its downfalls and perks quickly!

Keep the advice coming. Thank you

Congrats, I got my camper from Denny.

img_121543_0_0406b646c0cdedb70dceca396ecd11e1.jpg

I use mine a lot for hunting and fishing. When I get back I like to watch a movie when I am eating so I take a small lap top with me. I also almost always have my Honda 2000i generator.
I didn't see but did you get the thermal pack? If not you might want to think about it. I also have a am/fm/noaa radio that I keep in the camper.

Umtduckhead said:
Congrats Durango1.. We are beyond excited...

Thanks for the input.... Heres what we ordered..

-Basic shell
-Front dinette
-Silver spur
-2 way fridge
-Rear and side awnings
-LED lights
-180 watt solar panels
-Jacks
-Extra roof vent
-Outside shower and water heater
-Exterior gas struts
-2nd battery
-Thermal Pack
-Furnace
-Flush mount sink
-Rear ladder ....ETC

Did we miss anything?

I was reading on another camper website that people recommend an inline water filter just to be safe from dirt coming out of the spigot and into the tank.

The airbags were to just give my truck a level ride and not be squatty on the trails etc.

-Do you all keep extension cords or extra plugs for shore power?
List sounds pretty much identical to my Hawk I picked up in April. Albeit, I ordered the thermal pack after placing the Hawk order and installed the lining myself.

Do not skimp on the electrical cord for shore power. Purchase the heaviest gauge "contractor" type extension cord you can find at Lowe's or Home Depot. I picked up a 25' 10GA 30 amp at Lowes; ~$80! They are not cheap, but, you don't want amp leakage or water intrusion if you are plugged into 30 amp shore power! While 30 amps of current will not kill you, it can give you a jolt. When you consider you investment in the camper, why compromise and buy a inexpensive extension cord that may not provide all the safety margins when using shore power?

Plug in to shore power after every outing. This will help camper battery longevitiy. AGM batteries prefer a stable, constant, charge through absorption into float.

I didn't use air bags on my F-250. I opted to install F-350 Old Man Emu springs. Your truck has coils while mine has leaf, but, the ride improvement over factory springs will be an eye popper! The entire kit is fairly expensive. While you get 3" of lift, yet, ride comfort is markedly improved and you can easily load down the vehicle/camper without any sag.

Be mindful of your F-250s GVWR and GCVW. GCVW gives you an idea of you F-250's brake system capability, amongst other variable.

Showering outside...
No others humans around, mother nature will not be offended by nakedness. Other around, I wear my surfing baggies to shower.
Both of those are non-starters for my wife. I purchased the Clean-Waste privacy tent. Perfect for showering or setting up the Porta Potti outside. At OX-West last month, we discovered the tent material absorbs heat when in direct sunlight. Air temp was about 50F, but inside the tent felt like 80F. Made for a cozy showering experience, even with the water off while soaping up.

I also purchased the Porta Potti. But, we found it too big, too heavy and didn't like trying to find a dump station when the PP was full. We've replaced the PP with the Clean Waste portable toilet system. Yes, this system is more expensive due to purchasing WAG bags. But, the WAG bags can be disposed in any trash barrel and are landfill safe. So no need to hunt a dump station.

Someone mentioned shovel. I always try to purchase tools that have multiple uses. Saves weight and the amount of stuff I need to tote. For years, I used a Crovel Extreme. First introduced to them down range, every vehicle had one along with other recovery tools. The Crovel is a shovel, ax, heavy duty pry bar, cable cutter (if you hack at it long enough), heavy duty punch and general skull crusher when needed. Plus, a generous length of 550 cord.

Lot of great ideas from others here. Pretty good list to pick and choose from to suit your individual needs.

idahoron said:
Congrats, I got my camper from Denny.

img_121555_4_0406b646c0cdedb70dceca396ecd11e1.jpg

I use mine a lot for hunting and fishing. When I get back I like to watch a movie when I am eating so I take a small lap top with me. I also almost always have my Honda 2000i generator.
I didn't see but did you get the thermal pack? If not you might want to think about it. I also have a am/fm/noaa radio that I keep in the camper.
Good point on the thermal pack. I'm glad we purchased it.

Back
Top Bottom